Plagiarism!!

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Plagiarism!!

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 23rd, 2009, 5:13 pm

Bad news.  A reader has informed me that another web site is methodically plagiarizing my reviews, posting bits and pieces of them to make money.

Here are the emails that alerted me:
I think somebody at Recycled Gaming plagerized a portion of your Christmas video game special, word-for-word:
http://www.recycledgaming.com/category/games/page/7

It's worse than I originally stated.  As far as I can see, EVERY game review at Recycled Gaming is ripped from your site.  They have spaced things differently and cut parts of your original review out, but your specific words have been retained.  Also, they have opened up a second website called Modern Classic Gaming, and it also has all of its reviews lifted from your site.  It also has sponsor ads, so they are making money off you.

http://www.recycledgaming.com/

http://www.modernclassicgaming.com/

I'll wait for you to contact the two sites, because basically, I would be asking them to shut down both of their Web sites.
As you can imagine, I am very upset about this.  I sent the following message to the webmaster of both:
I run the site www.videogamecritic.net.  It has been brought to my attention that many 
of your reviews are plagiarized versions of the reviews on my site. 
For example, Mortal Kombat II for the Super Nintendo and several of your
Christmas reviews.  I'm told there are countless others.

My reviews are registered with the US Copyright office and it is illegal to
reproduce any portion of them without my permission.

I have spend endless hours over the past 10 years writing these reviews.  
They are my intellectual property and it is extremely upsetting to see them copied
for profit.

I am going to have to ask you to immediately remove all of the plagiarized reviews 
from you site(s).  I have been advised there are two sites in question that contain my
reviews:

http://www.recycledgaming.com/
http://www.modernclassicgaming.com/

Thank you for your cooperation in this matter.
The last time something like this occurred, my readers were instrumental in getting the problem resolved.  I do not have the time to comb through all the reviews on these sites, but if you see any that qualify as plagiarism, please bring it to the immediate attention of the web master (via their contact us link).  Politely ask for it to be removed.

It might also be helpful to bring this issue up on the message boards of the sites in question.  This could help spread awareness that many of the reviews are not legitimate.

Hopefully we can resolve this quickly and quietly.

Keep me posted, and as always, thank you for your support
Dave

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Plagiarism!!

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 23rd, 2009, 6:04 pm

It is possible that the web masters of these sites are not aware of the infringement.  While looking through the Atari 2600 section, there were a slew of my reviews posted by a Sean R.   I sent this follow-up to the web master, hoping it might help.

While looking through you Atari 2600 section I noticed that most of the plagiarized reviews were posted by a Sean R (Fantastic Voyage for example). 

He may be the one posting all (or most) of the plagiarized reviews.  If this is the case, please remove all of his reviews.

Thank you
Dave

Pixelcade1

Plagiarism!!

Postby Pixelcade1 » December 23rd, 2009, 6:20 pm

If all else fails do a IP or DNS lookup contact their ISP and let them know they are hosting copyrighted materials. However if it's outside the country and in one that doesn't care or has loose rules there's nothing much at your disposal legally.

Orion Pimpdaddy

Plagiarism!!

Postby Orion Pimpdaddy » December 23rd, 2009, 6:33 pm

Hi, this is my first post ever on this site!  Also, I was the one who sent you the email.

If you go to the site and click "About Us" you'll see the names and positions of those in charge of the site.  Sean R. appears to be the main guy.
  • Sean R. – Managing Editor
  • Luke C. – Associate Editor
  • Mik H. – Gaming Correspondent
  • Brandon W. – Dreamcast Correspondent
  • Ryan B. – Correspondent
  • Nathan W. – TurboGrafx 16 Correspondent

MappyMousePD

Plagiarism!!

Postby MappyMousePD » December 23rd, 2009, 7:30 pm

[QUOTE=Pixelcade]If all else fails do a IP or DNS lookup contact their ISP and let them know they are hosting copyrighted materials. However if it's outside the country and in one that doesn't care or has loose rules there's nothing much at your disposal legally.
[/QUOTE]

I have to do that all the time.  Just say you're the copyright holder and you would like it removed. 

These sites are hosted by HostGator.com. 

Emehr

Plagiarism!!

Postby Emehr » December 23rd, 2009, 7:44 pm

I left a comment on the Fantastic Voyage entry. I tried to be nice. It's awaiting approval by the censors. Anyway, how about contacting the advertisers on those sites and letting them know what they are paying for?

Pixelcade1

Plagiarism!!

Postby Pixelcade1 » December 23rd, 2009, 8:31 pm

I also left a comment on their winter article. Probably won't be approved. It was brief and to the point.

Adamant1

Plagiarism!!

Postby Adamant1 » December 23rd, 2009, 9:41 pm

If this Sean R. guy is in charge of the site, it's pretty much guaranteed your comments will go ignored. Their Turbografx page has an original Splatterhouse review written by one "Nathan W.", listed as "TurboGrafx 16 Correspondent" in the About page, so it seems like some people believe they're working on an honest website here, while the administrator is filling it with stolen articles and acting as if he's working hard at the site.

Dig a bit in their 2600 section to find some completely shameless news posts where Sean talks about what games he's "working on reviewing". I say just contact their host right away.

Orion Pimpdaddy

Plagiarism!!

Postby Orion Pimpdaddy » December 23rd, 2009, 9:54 pm

I left a comment on the Marvel versus Capcom review at the Recycled Gaming website.  It posted instantly.

How can this person sit and pretend like he has played a game and post someone else's review?  Why doesn't he just write his own review?  Why all the deception?

Looks like every entry on his site is lifted from other people's reviews on the Internet, but about 80% are from the Video Game Critic.  A cool way to check to copy a sentence from the Recycled Gaming sight and paste it into a Google search, with quotes around it.

Now I know why they call it Recycled Gaming.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Plagiarism!!

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 23rd, 2009, 10:09 pm

[QUOTE=Adamant]

Dig a bit in their 2600 section to find some completely shameless news posts where Sean talks about what games he's "working on reviewing". I say just contact their host right away.

[/QUOTE]

I have contacted their host.  Thanks for the advice.  Stay tuned.

Return to “Video Games General”