Japanese Gamers Anticipate Wii, Cold to PS3

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » May 30th, 2006, 7:29 am

Now, I've probably done as many statistics courses as the rest of this board combined (heck I've been a lab instructor for one), and I can tell you these types of magazine polls mean probably the least of any survey method.  This almost definitely has no predictive power on how Japan will act as a whole.  The group sampled here will likely behave in a manner similar to the poll's predictions, but it's likely a sample from a very limited population.

However, as a person who posts on this board I have to say that I am 100% positive (plus or minus 0%) that had the poll went the other way, Bluemonkey would not have brought statistics up at all.

J.M. Vargas

Postby J.M. Vargas » May 30th, 2006, 8:34 am

[QUOTE=Leo Ames]

Any college statistics student, or anyone that has taken such courses as marketing research which revolve about stats and market research such as proper survey techniques, will tell you what bluemonkey said is correct[/QUOTE]

You mean... all those polls at billoreilly.com... are not accurate?  Sob, sob... sniff, sniff!

sega saturn x

Postby sega saturn x » May 30th, 2006, 3:14 pm

[QUOTE=Leo Ames]

"Why not just state what you mean.  This is invalid because it doesn't agree with MY views."

Any college statistics student, or anyone that has taken such courses as marketing research which revolve about stats and market research such as proper survey techniques, will tell you what bluemonkey said is correct. For someone that doesn't care who will win the next generation console wars, you handle yourself strangely when people say things you don't like SSX. Your quote actually applies to yourself more, because scientifically, what bluemonkey said is correct.

[/QUOTE]What I said doesn't apply to me because to me these graphs are trival and meaningless.  They never paint an accurate picture and really don't matter.  It's just a hype chart, if it were sales I might care but it isn't.

feilong801

Postby feilong801 » May 30th, 2006, 4:07 pm

[QUOTE=J.M. Vargas]

You mean... all those polls at billoreilly.com... are not accurate?  Sob, sob... sniff, sniff!

[/QUOTE]

I might add that it is clearly stated on Bill O' Reilly's site that the polls are not scientific.

However (getting back to the op), I can't imagine any country's folks, US, Japanese, EU NOT thinking that $600 is too much for a game machine. That said, that doesn't really mean that it won't sell or do well. After all, I think Starbuck's is too expensive, and I still get the occasional drink there.

-Rob

www.robhowarddesign.com

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » May 30th, 2006, 4:53 pm

I would have Atari.  People's misuse of statistics is one of my pet hates.  I have called up the problems with the PS3 and 360 on a number of topics.

Adamant1

Postby Adamant1 » May 30th, 2006, 6:48 pm

[QUOTE=feilong80]

However (getting back to the op), I can't imagine any country's folks, US, Japanese, EU NOT thinking that $600 is too much for a game machine.
[/QUOTE]

Europeans won't, but the PS3 will be about 1000$ here anyway, so...

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » May 30th, 2006, 7:58 pm

[QUOTE=bluemonkey]

I would have Atari.  People's misuse of statistics is one of my pet hates. [/QUOTE]

In that case my friend, I have seen things during my degree that would make you vomit.  As an example:

Did you know that dogs can detect seizures before they occur?  It's true; there's published scientific evidence showing just that.  Never mind the fact that the "evidence" takes the form of people reporting (after the fact and with no outside observers) that at some point "between 2 minutes and several hours" before someone in the house had a seizure their dog acted "funny".  Some of the actual reported cases of the dogs acting funny included "licking owners face", "standing", "lying down" and my two favorites "wagging tail" and "failure to wag tail".  Honestly, this is published in a real medical journal and even got reported on CNN.  There were all kinds of graphs and statistical tests and everything.

By the way, there is some good evidence for this too, but that was one of the ones that really got a lot of press.

Leo Ames

Postby Leo Ames » May 30th, 2006, 8:50 pm

"What I said doesn't apply to me because to me these graphs are trival and meaningless.  They never paint an accurate picture and really don't matter.  It's just a hype chart, if it were sales I might care but it isn't."

Then why did you attack someone that said they were meaningless because they were meaningless scientifically?

sega saturn x

Postby sega saturn x » May 30th, 2006, 10:10 pm

[QUOTE=Leo Ames]

"What I said doesn't apply to me because to me these graphs are trival and meaningless.  They never paint an accurate picture and really don't matter.  It's just a hype chart, if it were sales I might care but it isn't."

Then why did you attack someone that said they were meaningless because they were meaningless scientifically?

[/QUOTE]

It's hot and I'm cranky, mystery solved.

Leo Ames

Postby Leo Ames » May 30th, 2006, 10:35 pm

I guess I can let you off the hook then.

Return to “Modern Gaming”