Pacman, which should I buy?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
JackHanley

Postby JackHanley » February 1st, 2010, 8:47 pm

Hey guys,

I thought after the success of the Zaxxon thread I should make a Pacman one as well. The only version of Pacman I have ever played at home is the Atari 2600 one, to be honest I never really saw what was wrong with it when I first played it but now I see how crappy it is, in fact it is really just garbage.

What early to mid 80's version should I get my hands on? Honestly the INTV version looks very inciting indeed but I thought I should ask you guys first before I do any thing.

Any help would be appreciated.

chrisbid1

Postby chrisbid1 » February 4th, 2010, 8:26 am

pick up the pac man collection homebrew for the 7800.  it has every version of pac man and ms pac man ever relased, as well as a few other variations.  the gameplay, control and speed are just about perfect. 

you can get a copy at gooddealgames.com, and maybe atariage.com (if they ever reopen their store)

Atari_Envy

Postby Atari_Envy » February 7th, 2010, 5:22 am

I would second the Pac-Man collection for the 7800. It is well done and has what you want.

Funny, I hated Pac-Man for the 2600 when it came out. But I kinda like it now.

Bayou Billy

Postby Bayou Billy » February 11th, 2010, 5:51 pm

for a offical pac-man release , the best version of it is the Neo Geo Pocket Color for a portable and the NES for the console version

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 11th, 2010, 9:23 pm

I would pick up one of the Namco Museum disks, which has an arcade-perfect version of Pac-Man, as well as many others.

chrisbid1

Postby chrisbid1 » February 12th, 2010, 9:05 am

there is something a tad off about the namco museum releases.  the controls are not quite as tight as they are in the arcade, and the lack of a speed option kills a lot of the fun for a non-hardcore fan of the game.

again, i will plug the 7800 homebrew.  the original 7800 ms pac man was the best home port (non-emulated) version of the game ever released.  the homebrew expands this solid version to include every flavor of pac man one could ever want.  including pac man plus, and puck man.

Return to “Classic Gaming”