Croc

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Devon

Croc

Postby Devon » January 24th, 2010, 10:04 am

Who has ever played the game Croc for either the Saturn or Playstation? I remember playing it and I also remember the ad on the 'Home Alone 3' VHS tape. From what I remember, you play as a cute little alligator who can whip enemies with his tail, and you have to save his friend that are in cages.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Croc

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 24th, 2010, 12:19 pm

Devon,
This game actually brings back some fond memories!

In the early days of the PS1 and N64, one thing the N64 had over the PS1 was its Super Mario 64 with its "go-anywhere" style of play.  Now we take it for granted, but back then the ability to wander around freely in a 3d game was a source of great fascination and wonderment.

Croc was really the first PS1 game to tackle that.  It had the cute character and various fantasy lands to explore.  I was excited when I picked up the game, but ultimately I was disappointed by its worlds which were actually very restrained once you started exploring.

Even so, it's probably still a decent game, and I plan to re-review that and its sequel.

Thebawwradar

Croc

Postby Thebawwradar » January 24th, 2010, 4:50 pm

I loved this game dearly. I mean I could see a future for Croc.

a1

Croc

Postby a1 » January 24th, 2010, 11:24 pm

Yeah, I have memories of that. I remember it being sub-par, but the sequel being pretty good.

cory

Croc

Postby cory » January 25th, 2010, 12:51 am

I've got this game on my Saturn, I actually think it's pretty good. Looked like a potential pile when I picked it up, but it was so nice and cheap so I gave it a try. Best platform game I have on that system, unless you count Nights as a platformer. I actually think I may go back and play it again now...

Nicholas Pozega

Croc

Postby Nicholas Pozega » February 5th, 2010, 10:53 am

I remember that game, if just for how painfully boring it was. Croc controlled like an RC Car with a dying battery, the gameplay was generic, slow, dull and boring, and it featured some of the blandest art and music ive ever heard in a video game.

gilly

Croc

Postby gilly » February 22nd, 2010, 11:39 am

[QUOTE=cory]I've got this game on my Saturn, I actually think it's pretty good. Looked like a potential pile when I picked it up, but it was so nice and cheap so I gave it a try. Best platform game I have on that system, unless you count Nights as a platformer. I actually think I may go back and play it again now...
[/QUOTE]

You ever played Astal? I think that's the best platformer on the Saturn and it's exclusive to that system.
Ok guys, now I feel like turning on my Saturn as soon as I get home from work.

Nicholas Pozega

Croc

Postby Nicholas Pozega » February 23rd, 2010, 7:18 am

^I own Astal for my Saturn to this day. Wonderful little side scroller, but tough as nails at some points. (i STILL havent gotten past Sea of Clouds to this day) I still prefer Nights into Dreams, Sonic Jam and Rayman over it as far as gameplay goes, but i love the art direction, lovely looking 2-D sprits and amazing musical score.

N64Dude1

Croc

Postby N64Dude1 » February 23rd, 2010, 8:33 pm

Now hold on why no mention of Tomb Raider? Tomb Raider was much better than all the above. Better designed levels,much more rewarding gameplay and better controls [Sorry Rayman] than Astal,Rayman,or Sonic Jam.

cory

Croc

Postby cory » February 24th, 2010, 1:53 am

[QUOTE]You ever played Astal? I think that's the best platformer on the Saturn and it's exclusive to that system.
Ok guys, now I feel like turning on my Saturn as soon as I get home from work. [/QUOTE]

No I haven't tried it, though I've been wanting to get my hands on it. I love the Saturn, so many random gems no one has ever heard of...

Return to “Classic Gaming”