Strange NES Problem

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Pixelcade1

Strange NES Problem

Postby Pixelcade1 » February 28th, 2010, 7:45 pm

I'm actually in the process of taking my toaster apart to give it the yearly cleaning but today my son wanted to play Ghostbusters (he's 3) so I pull it off the shelf go to put it in and it doesn't fit! I had to force, jiggle force some more then after about 2 min it finally stuck. Then it wouldn't work as well as ANY other game in my huge library. Anyone have any ideas on this one? I'm curious if I'm going to find internal damage here. Just before it we were playing Duck Tails for about an hour so I know the system is fine or was...

Pixelcade1

Strange NES Problem

Postby Pixelcade1 » February 28th, 2010, 9:19 pm

Ok so I removed the 72pin connector and noticed all the pins on the back were pushed up. I pushed them back inserted ghostbusters by and it shoved 3/4 of the pins out. I tried this with Ducktails and no pins moved. I tried it with a cleaning cart and one pin moved. Does anyone know if those pins in the back have to stay flush?

Pixelcade1

Strange NES Problem

Postby Pixelcade1 » February 28th, 2010, 11:11 pm

A extreme cleaning
A repronging of the connectors
Tested all connections
2 blisters on my fingers
*blink* *blink* *blink*

It is a sad sad day in my world people. This was the NES I grew up on. The memories of games beaten, sleep overs and nights spent exploring the worlds of Zelda and Final Fantasy. It has all come to an end. There is a tear in my eye. Tomorrow I'll take it out back and fire a .45 slug through it while I play taps on the iPod. I think I'll bury it next to my shed.

At least I have a top loader that's nice and newish but it just doesn't have that feel or the memories that the toaster had. Tonight my Nintendo collection sleeps alone knowing that tomorrow brings a new player to the shelf.

snakeboy1

Strange NES Problem

Postby snakeboy1 » February 28th, 2010, 11:26 pm

All you probably have to do is buy a new 72 pin connector. You can easily find one on ebay or a site that sells classic games. I don't know how difficult it is to install one, but I'm sure you can find a video on youtube that will walk you through it.

Pixelcade1

Strange NES Problem

Postby Pixelcade1 » February 28th, 2010, 11:35 pm

Thanks Snake but this was a new 72 pin connector (1 year old). I think the motherboard is shot. After a deep cleaning and a contact cleaning as well as a push pin on the connector I actually lost power on the unit then I was able to get it back and it still won't work. Also it's not hard to install the hardest part is getting the screws off the clam shell cuz they are deep in the plastic. once the case is open it's all a cake walk.

rift1

Strange NES Problem

Postby rift1 » March 1st, 2010, 12:42 am

I would suggest a retro duo or similar product to play your nes games on.  More reliable, much less hassle

Pixelcade1

Strange NES Problem

Postby Pixelcade1 » March 1st, 2010, 9:48 am

Memories.....nothing more than memories....today it has met it's fate. Pour one down for the ol' fella. Speaking of those retro duo's how do they perform? My only gripe is the ones I've seen you can't plug in an actual SNES or NES controller. To me that's a huge turn off.

rift1

Strange NES Problem

Postby rift1 » March 1st, 2010, 12:08 pm

I think they're great.  The one that is actually called "retro duo" does allow you to plug in any super nintendo controller into it (no NES though).  I use two original SNES controllers with mine because the ones that come with the duo are junky and have short cords.  Retro Duo will also play practically all of the NES library including stuff like Castlevania 3, which other emu's like the FC Twin can't play. 

Return to “Classic Gaming”