6/4/2006: Genesis: Aero the Acrobat, Heavy Nova, Kid Chameleon

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » June 5th, 2006, 4:49 pm

Hey Critic right on with the Kid Chameleon review.  For some reason people love to hate on this game, but it is one of my favorite genesis titles. 

First off, while the graphics are nothing to write home about the art direction itself is fantastic.  While the Kid is pretty bland himself, all of his transformations are pretty dark and almost evil looking (a rarity for a platformer).  I also really like the sound in the game.  The crunchy guitar rifts are great for the cave levels and the tribal beats of the islands really captured the mood nicely.  The stages are terrifically designed because they are nice and short and you always feel like you are accomplishing something in this long game.  Also its worth noting how exciting the "wall of death" levels are.  For those that complained about there not being any big bosses haven't gotten far enough into the game.  The giant shish-ka-boss is a neat 1st boss and the later bosses are equally as cool.  Yea its a long game and it doesn't have a save feature, but it isn't the first game to be like that.  Kid Chamleon nails the fun factor while hitting a few minor speedbumps along the way.  Again many people hate on this title and I don't know why, but I still love to play it every now and then. 

Zenzerotron

Postby Zenzerotron » June 6th, 2006, 4:19 pm

You know, I thought I was about the only guy in the world whom doesn't like KC. It's nice to see some supporters!

KC and Rocket Knight Adventures seem to be the 2 Genesis games that everyone likes but me. The weird thing is, there's nothing wrong with these games, they just bore me to tears, for whatever reason.

z-reserve

Postby z-reserve » June 10th, 2006, 12:08 pm

After reading your review on Heavy Nova, I decided to give it a try (with the magic of emulation). One would be compeled to ask Micronet what was the point of this game! It's all downhill after the cinematics, akind of Rise of the Robots. Did anybody play-tested it before release, even???

The versus battle mechanics is the biggest of the one-way shenanigans in this game. A thermal meter limits your ability to attack if it falls below 4 marks and from simply moving if it falls below 3! So most fights can take ages to end with the cpu grabing you up and jabbing you back to the ground in a cycle. What a farce...

The music falls into the arcade-ish without really fitting to the game's mood. Dull art, dull design, why did they bothered?

sega saturn x

Postby sega saturn x » June 11th, 2006, 1:24 am

Told you heavy nova was the worst game ever.

DigitalSpace

Postby DigitalSpace » June 13th, 2006, 6:27 pm

Thanks for the review on Heavy Nova.  I saw a copy for a buck recently, but I had a bad feeling about it and passed it up.  Since I hardly ever pass up non-sports Genny titles at that price, I was wondering if I did the right thing.

Return to “Review Feedback”