Shatterhand preview

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Shatterhand preview

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 7th, 2010, 7:00 pm

As recommended by several readers, I recently started reviewing an NES game called Shatterhand.  Have you played this?  It's pretty awesome.

The first thing I noticed were the colorful background graphics.  In the opening stage, the silhouettes of the oil refineries in front of the blue night sky look incredible.  I actually had to stop and say, "wow, that looks really good".

The commando-style gameplay is terrific.  The punching controls are responsive, and the fact that you sometimes get a flying robot to help you adds variety.  There's even a stage select screen.

Any other fans of this game out there?

Pixelcade1

Shatterhand preview

Postby Pixelcade1 » March 7th, 2010, 7:46 pm

I remember seeing the box and looking it up confirmed that it was LAME. I rented it a few times and remember enjoying it. It's kind of like Mega Man with out a gun just a Bad A$$ dude and his metalic fists reeking fury upon the world.

Chris Morris

Shatterhand preview

Postby Chris Morris » March 7th, 2010, 11:45 pm

I bought this game a few years ago. I think it's one of the best games on the system.

Adamant1

Shatterhand preview

Postby Adamant1 » March 8th, 2010, 12:57 am

Yeah, Shatterhand is one of those games that looked so unspectacular and generic on paper that most people just wrote it off without giving it a chance, making it fade into obscurity.

Power Blade is another such game, I recommend giving that one a try too.

KingDavid73

Shatterhand preview

Postby KingDavid73 » March 8th, 2010, 2:47 am

I played it a couple years ago after my friend said it was a good game, but I couldn't really get into it, but to be honest, I didn't really give it a good chance.  If I see it for a decent price, I'll pick it up.

QF

Shatterhand preview

Postby QF » March 8th, 2010, 3:35 am

I love this game. I played the import version as well, because you change into a robot upon one of the code combos. I don't know why they got rid of it for the US release.

Return to “Classic Gaming”