Toxic Saturn Games to Avoid

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
GameBoy Girl

Postby GameBoy Girl » May 27th, 2009, 1:19 pm

The Sega Saturn was not as big a failure as some might think - it actually sold more than the Dreamcast.  There was a very diverse library for it, including some great games... and some of the worst games ever made:

Winning Post - One of the most boring, generic, tedious games ever made.  It consists of betting on virtual horse races.  That's it.  "Training" your horses is basically a moot point.

DragonHeart: Fire & Steel - Acclaim is notorious for making horrible movie-based games.  This is no exception - horrendous control (the character might as well be a blob of molasses), delayed jumping (take off some of that heavy armor, for God's sake!), and repetitive fighting (slash and slash and slash at repetitive mounds of pixels - until you actually DROP YOUR SWORD from all that hard work.  I kid you not.)

Battle Monsters - Ugly mounds of grainy cardboard pixels do the same fighting moves over and over again.  That's pretty much it.  There are just two attack buttons and two types of jumps to make controlling your character a confusing chore.  You are likely to feel physically and mentally ill after playing this trash.

D-Xhird - D-Xhird is the worst fighting game ever made.  Sound like an overstatement?  It's not.  Let's start with the graphics - uninspired, generic characters with huge, ridiculous, generic weapons fight in uninspired, generic backgrounds.  Everything is so pixelated that it's often impossible to tell what's going on.  And the gameplay?  Even worse.  All you really need to do is mash a button over and over again.  There is no strategy or skill involved WHATSOEVER.  Like Battle Monsters, this game may make you feel ill.

Scud: The Disposable Assassin - How can a game about a freaky underground comic character with two large magnums possibly be bad?  By being an unplayable mess.  And that's really a shame, since the cut scenes are very funny.  The control is very sloppy, the puzzles are boring (if not non-existent), and the enemies are relentlessly repetitive.

The Crow: City of Angels - Oh, God!  It's made by Acclaim, it's based on a movie, and it's a scrolling fighter.  Right there, we already know it's gonna be bad.  How bad?  Really, really, really bad.  It would be normal for an Acclaim game to consist of walking around and beating at bad guys - but, this time, it's 3-D.  Does that make it better?  No!  It makes it even worse.  Enemies come at you from every angle (including above and below!)  But, since the game is played from a strange side-scrolling viewpoint, prepare yourself for endless confusion.  It's nearly impossible to line up your attacks with the enemies.  If you actually do manage to line them up and attack, the collision detection will probably make sure you can't actually hit - even if your hit was dead-on, it's very common to go straight through the enemies.  Before you know it - wham! - you're dead.  Game over, man.  Thank God.

So... what toxic Saturn games would you like to share?

missingno

Postby missingno » May 27th, 2009, 3:08 pm

Street Fighter: The Movie. Worst Street Fighter game in series.

MANKIND

Postby MANKIND » May 27th, 2009, 5:40 pm

even thought its the worst street fighter game ever , its still a good video game

Luke

Postby Luke » May 28th, 2009, 2:29 am

Please don't knock Street Fighter: The movie for the Saturn if you've never played it.

The Arcade and Playstation versions were bad. But the Saturn version has perfect control and plays just like Super Street Fighter II Turbo with the Super Combo System from SF Alpha.

I'm seriously tired of people ripping on this game. If you're turned off by the digitized graphics, that's one thing. But I honestly don't see how anyone could knock the gameplay cause it's classic Street Fighter.

TheBawwRadar

Postby TheBawwRadar » May 31st, 2009, 9:12 am

[QUOTE=Luke]Please don't knock Street Fighter: The movie for the Saturn if you've never played it.

The Arcade and Playstation versions were bad. But the Saturn version has perfect control and plays just like Super Street Fighter II Turbo with the Super Combo System from SF Alpha.

I'm seriously tired of people ripping on this game. If you're turned off by the digitized graphics, that's one thing. But I honestly don't see how anyone could knock the gameplay cause it's classic Street Fighter.[/QUOTE]

Jeez dude, it's their opinion, give it a rest.

Not everyone is on the same page.

Protoman

Postby Protoman » July 30th, 2009, 8:18 pm

[QUOTE=TheBawwRadar]

[QUOTE=Luke]Jeez dude, it's their opinion, give it a rest. [/QUOTE]

It's not their opinion...they don't HAVE an opinion because they've NEVER PLAYED IT.

lowtech redneck

Postby lowtech redneck » November 7th, 2009, 7:25 pm

Heh.  I actually just posted a somewhat positive review for Battle Monsters.  The game has some undeniable problems, but I still like it.

oldskoolgamer

Postby oldskoolgamer » November 10th, 2009, 9:39 am

Oh how I love my Saturn
There are far more good games then bad for that system. Why are we focused on the bad?

DreamcastFan99

Postby DreamcastFan99 » March 10th, 2010, 12:48 am

I am surprised that nobody has mentioned Batman Forever: The Arcade Game, or Final Fight Revenge (Japanese import), both of these games are huge epic fail and they are a miserable pile of secrets. Don't believe me, read The Video Game Critcs Batman Forever: The Arcade game review/Segagaga Domains mini review and like ScrewAttack said "this is one of the many reasons arcades died, Crappy Arcade games!" And Final Fight Revenge is also the worst Japanese Import game for the Sega Saturn, Hardcore Gaming 101 mini review of the game in the Final Fight Article.

Note 1: I played played both games on SSF emulator latest version and both of these games are as bad as critics and fans alike made theme out to be.

Note 2: Free cookies for anyone who can guess where the miserable pile of secrets reference is from?

Return to “Classic Gaming”