N64 What am I missing?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Greisha1

N64 What am I missing?

Postby Greisha1 » March 9th, 2010, 7:12 pm

The N64 had a crapload of good games, but some genres were sorely under-produced for. Turn-based RPGs being one. Has anyone played Quest 64??

Here's a few games I HIGHLY rec:

Pokemon Puzzle League -- This is probably the best iteration of the "Tetris Attack" motif, even though the Pokemon stuff might drive you to turn the sound to "mute"

Bomberman 64 -- I thought the adventure mode to be lacking, but the battle mode is a nice change than the 2-d Bombermen

Mischief Makers -- This is one of the few 2-d platformers on the N64, and it's an original one, at that!

N64Dude1

N64 What am I missing?

Postby N64Dude1 » March 9th, 2010, 9:03 pm

It's completely a generational thing! Most people from my generation wouldn't judge the garphics so harshly

It's a shame that generation didn't manage to age well onto HDTV's or emulation becuase otherwise these graphics are underrated and deserve to come back for WiiWare download.

As for camera,Super Mario 64 still has a better camera than most games today [Super Mario Galaxy,the 3D Sonic games,Tomb Raider Legend come to mind]

Almost half my top 10 are from this generation

Most 1st party and Rare games have aged like wine. LucasArts made the pick of the lot Star Wars games and the 2D games that did exist trumped out PlayStation's offerings.

The controller may have been awkward,but it was comfortable and actually meant for hands my size. Most games had incredible multiplayer that aspect has aged real well.

Pixelcade1

N64 What am I missing?

Postby Pixelcade1 » March 9th, 2010, 9:27 pm

Graphics don't make a game. I've said it over and over here. I enjoy my Mario Kart and my Diddy Kong but my beloved Star Wars oh it looks horrible.

I've been playing my Coleco, NES and SNES all on my HD in 4:3 mode and honestly they look outstanding if I switch up some of the settings on the TV. I'm just shocked at how bad this and the PS1 aged. I think I'll just put them back in the storage box with some of my other goodies and keep them around for my son when he gets older.

As far as Lucasarts the company still is better left on the PC platform. It has always shined in a non console way. Sure the Super Star Wars series were good but their non Star Wars titles are outstanding.

gilly

N64 What am I missing?

Postby gilly » March 10th, 2010, 9:22 am

[QUOTE=Greisha]The N64 had a crapload of good games, but some genres were sorely under-produced for. Turn-based RPGs being one. Has anyone played Quest 64??

Here's a few games I HIGHLY rec:

Pokemon Puzzle League -- This is probably the best iteration of the "Tetris Attack" motif, even though the Pokemon stuff might drive you to turn the sound to "mute"

Bomberman 64 -- I thought the adventure mode to be lacking, but the battle mode is a nice change than the 2-d Bombermen

Mischief Makers -- This is one of the few 2-d platformers on the N64, and it's an original one, at that!

[/QUOTE]

OMG I forgot about Mischief Makers! I need to find a copy of that game just to own an actual 2-d platformer for the N64. I just hope that while playing it I don't keep thinking to myself "wow this would have looked much better on a Saturn" lol

Greisha1

N64 What am I missing?

Postby Greisha1 » March 10th, 2010, 5:25 pm

*haha* Yeah I would trade you my copy but alas it's across the state at my parent's house somewhere.

Oh ... and I forgot one gem of an N64 game ...

Blast Corps!

N64Dude1

N64 What am I missing?

Postby N64Dude1 » March 10th, 2010, 8:09 pm

There's no justice in any of these lists I mean seriously how is it Resident Evil 2,Quake,Turok,Quake II,Jet Force Gemini,Hybrid Heaven,Turok II,Crusin' USA,Killer Instinct Gold,Super Smash Bros.,Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask,Dr. Mario 64,Excitebike 64,Perfect Dark,Goldeneye 007,and StarCraft 64 haven't been mentioned? How?????? There are so many more great games than the system is given credit for. I'd list some more but I've got a busy schedule today.

Greisha1

N64 What am I missing?

Postby Greisha1 » March 10th, 2010, 11:50 pm

[QUOTE=N64Dude]There's no justice in any of these lists I mean seriously how is it Resident Evil 2,Quake,Turok,Quake II,Jet Force Gemini,Hybrid Heaven,Turok II,Crusin' USA,Killer Instinct Gold,Super Smash Bros.,Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask,Dr. Mario 64,Excitebike 64,Perfect Dark,Goldeneye 007,and StarCraft 64 haven't been mentioned? How?????? There are so many more great games than the system is given credit for. I'd list some more but I've got a busy schedule today.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking more about the "lost gems" of the system myself, but would put most of these games on a "best-of list."

Actually, since the N64 is your forte I'm interested in your list!

Pixelcade1

N64 What am I missing?

Postby Pixelcade1 » March 12th, 2010, 6:22 pm

HOLY COW! Ok my copy of Star Fox 64 arrived along with Diddy Kong and a few other NES titles. Let me start out by saying this. HOLY COW! I loved Star Fox on the SNES. Loved it! I don't know how I missed SF64. Then again I just didn't care for this generation and missed a lot until the Dreamcast hit. I think my N64 library at it's peak was still under 10 games.

Anyway WOW this is what I pictured Star Fox to be when I was playing on the SNES. The analog stick enhances the flight experience so much. The voice acting is ok and the music is outstanding. I did read Dave's review of the game before I bought it and the screenshot drew me to look up gameplay vids. I was not let down. Grade A indeed.

J_B_Philouza

N64 What am I missing?

Postby J_B_Philouza » March 13th, 2010, 4:59 pm

I definately second Pokemon Puzzle League (PPL).  I really dislike the Pokemon theme, but the game itself is outstanding.  It is probably my favorite puzzle game of all time.  The music and presentation of Tetris Attack (SNES) is much better than PPL, but it eventually hits a wall in terms of speed and difficulty.  I can suffer the crappy music and stupid Pokemon characters for hours, just for the awesome puzzle action.

Pixelcade1

N64 What am I missing?

Postby Pixelcade1 » March 13th, 2010, 7:21 pm

Excuse my ignorance on the Pokemon thing. I missed it when it happened, I'm surprised to find out it's still happening and there is a puzzle game? I'll have to look it up. So far the only 2 puzzle games I've really enjoyed are Tetris and Bust-a-Move. Which is odd because it's really the same game I suppose if you break it down.

Return to “Classic Gaming”