Animal Crossing - have you tried it?

The readers post their own reviews.
kelly

Postby kelly » May 15th, 2006, 11:03 am

Have just acquired this game and thought i would tell you a bit about it!!

You can take your little character anywhere you go in the Animal Crossing game.  Playing this game is almost like living another life.

The game starts off with only a few other animals in the town, however the more it is played and more residents move in.  Each animal that you encounter in the game has a different personality, from an angry panda called Chow; to the bodybuilding Rhino, Tank.  In total there are over 200 different animals you can come across in the game, including some from the Gamecube version like the local store owner, Tom Nook and KK Slider, the guitar playing dog.

Each game can support up to four different characters living in the same house, so although you can’t all play at the same time different gamers can create their own animals, each with their own items, personalities and friends. With Animal Crossing's 24-hour clock, the game's unique events can be in synch with real time -- as day turns to night in the real world, the sun will also begin to set in the game.

This is when the fun comes because when you send another character a letter they may show it to others in the game that includes the characters controlled by real people. This is just one of the great features to this game that really sets this apart from the others.

It also has wireless communication, so if are within wireless range of other people who have Animal Crossing: Wild World, you can travel to one other's towns.

What a fabulous game, I didn’t want to put it down!

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » June 6th, 2006, 1:40 pm

God, sorry I missed this.   Animal Crossing wild World and the original Animal Crossing are two of the best games I've ever played.  I feel more than a little like a panzy  for guiding my little doll around a  cartoon village so I can meet (and send letters to) adorably cute animals who talk about clothes and furniture all day long.  Yet fo some reason I can't turn the thing off.   Awesome, awesome, awesome game, but it's not for everyone.  I imagine the critic would hate it.  As would people who don't much like the cutsiness of Nintendo games in general.

Dennis

Postby Dennis » June 8th, 2006, 4:48 pm

I have to disagree. Most of my favorite games are the "cutesy" type Nintendo games such as Mario, Zelda, Kirby, etc., but I hated, hated, hated Animal Crossing. It wasn't the cuteness that turned me off, it's that it gave you no direction or relevant goals. If I want to decorate a house (and I don't), I'll decorate my own house, thanks.

Johnson73

Postby Johnson73 » June 8th, 2006, 6:55 pm

Animal Crossing has to be one of the best games I've ever played.  Wild World, however, was disappointing, as it was actually quite a bit worse than the original.  It was great by its own merits, but I couldn't bring myself to put too much time in it after they removed NES games, real holidays, etc.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » June 8th, 2006, 10:12 pm

[QUOTE=Johnson73]Animal Crossing has to be one of the best games I've ever played.  Wild World, however, was disappointing, as it was actually quite a bit worse than the original.  It was great by its own merits, but I couldn't bring myself to put too much time in it after they removed NES games, real holidays, etc.
[/QUOTE]
Wild World is especially good if you go online to friend's towns.  I had a fishing contest with one person, and that was fun.  I also like to write notes to the animals in other people's towns and tell them I hate them.   It's also a good way to get better  prices on your turnips.
Most everything else is a trade off.  Sure there are things missing, but you can customize the ground (I have a yellow brick road leading to every house and store with signposts for people visiting when I'm not there), Blanca the cat travels between towns whenever you go online so sometimes you get to see some really great designs (she looks like Wario in my town now, and whoever drew the face did an awesome job), you don' have to mail off the fossils as Balthers checks them himself, you can write a letter without it taking al day because of the touch screen, you sell items and send letters in bulk instead of individually, and there's more of everything to collect.  I think it's a pretty good upgrade.

Johnson73

Postby Johnson73 » June 8th, 2006, 11:05 pm

I did like some of the new features, it's just that in the original, I did just about everything there was to do- I found every item, maxed out my bank account, etc.  As a result, I found it hard to motivate myself to start anew, especially when some of my favorite features were taken out.  The online was a great addition and a step in the right direction, but having to have friend codes was kind of annoying.  Don't get me wrong- as I said, Wild World is a excellent game, but I think Nintendo should have done more to encourage addicts from the original to play.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » June 9th, 2006, 10:08 pm

[QUOTE=Johnson73]I did like some of the new features, it's just that in the original, I did just about everything there was to do- I found every item, maxed out my bank account, etc.  As a result, I found it hard to motivate myself to start anew, especially when some of my favorite features were taken out.  The online was a great addition and a step in the right direction, but having to have friend codes was kind of annoying.  Don't get me wrong- as I said, Wild World is a excellent game, but I think Nintendo should have done more to encourage addicts from the original to play.
[/QUOTE]
No arguements there.  If I didn't have the online it'd be a tossup which version I was going to play.  The Friend's codes are a great idea to keep parents from attacking the DS as a portal of evil, bu they are pretty heavy handed.  For example, my fiancee prefers the Cube version (even though she bought the DS one) and still plays the Cube version every day.  However, one night she saw me playing online and asked if she could go try that out.  She was stoked and I think it'd have sold her her own DS that night if it had went well and she had been able to visit my friends.  However, when she tried to travel using her character it turned out WE DON'T SHARE A FRIENDS LIST.  She would have had to go in and add all 25 people to her list and I would have had to inform all 25 of them to add her and then, if they happened to be online in the days after all of that was arranged she would then be able to visit them.  That's pretty lame considering in the game we share the same house, same town, same bedroom, and same mail box.  Why in the world can't we have the same friends list.  Anyway, she hasn't tried since.  She's still planning to get her own DS now anyway because the NSM commercials and the ads for the DS lite appeal to her.  Still, I doubt online play with it will be her thing.

Return to “Reader Reviews”