The 'new' EGM

General and high profile video game topics.
steer

The 'new' EGM

Postby steer » May 9th, 2010, 9:54 pm

Paid $7 newstand for one, just to see.

Was it worth it? No, pretty uneven.

Worthless article on the new motion controls Sony and MS are adopting. Acts like Wii Music was a huge motion undertaking by Nintendo that was uber hyped at prelaunch Wii E-3 that failed. No mention of the grand success of the Wii Sports, Wii Fits, Metroid Primes, Mario Glaxy etc. No balance, just a pretending that Wii motin has been a gimmic (like Eyetoy, their examle, not mine) and Nintendo just got away with hype. 

Conclusion :

Can Natal and Move add more than Wii? Do hardCORE care?

Lol, be fair, EGM, and talk software, failure of an article.

Next, a totally worhtless 'stream of counscious' type 'essay' about motion control from one of their reviewers/editors. First half is all about Natal and MOVE (again), but all the text is aimed at Nintendo. Of course, the review doesn't like it, and doesn't want to move to play games. Waxes nostlagic on SNES when Nintendo cared about gaming. Rips Wii shovelware, praises SNES Metroid, Mario Zelda etc. DUH!

Ok, I wax nostaligic on how poor SNES shovelware was, and I will praise the great Wii software, nice straw man argument, total waste of space, I do not like paying $7 for gamefaqs worthy dumb rants.I could have wrote that 'artcal' in 5 minutes, no thought or revision needed.

Decent artcal on DLC, and how some is a total screwjob and price gouging. Not often gaming magazines talk on that.

Decent article on how big of fanboys some game reviors/editors are, and how unprofessional they are. I would toast that but the artcal (from Shoe) concludes 'most' are good guys, which is clearly not true.

Smattering of reviews, 'CORE" focused,. big surprise.

Etc, some other things, pretty much what you would expect, seems a little light on content to me, any one else read it yet, I think I got the 2nd new issue.

Luke

The 'new' EGM

Postby Luke » May 10th, 2010, 2:14 am

You should peep the new issue of Gamefan. They're printing again now, too.

Paul Campbell

The 'new' EGM

Postby Paul Campbell » May 10th, 2010, 2:38 am

With the plethora of useful and useless information and opinion on the subject of video games that the internet has to offer, I can't imagine ever paying for a magazine that has just a fraction of it, unless it was available as a buy out for some of my expiring frequent-flyer miles, which is where my other magazines come from...

Anonymous

The 'new' EGM

Postby Anonymous » May 10th, 2010, 10:41 am

I wish you would talk about anything but this same old crap again steer.

Chaser1

The 'new' EGM

Postby Chaser1 » May 10th, 2010, 10:48 am

Good point, but Nintendo Power (the only mag I'm familiar with right now) is only $10/year on Amazon and you can read magazines in the bathroom, on the porch, on a camping trip, etc. Magazine subscriptions are ridiculously cheap these days if you shop around.

Luke

The 'new' EGM

Postby Luke » May 10th, 2010, 1:40 pm

[QUOTE=Anonymous]I wish you would talk about anything but this same old crap again steer.
[/QUOTE]We all do. But in Steer's world, if your system or game isn't selling x amount of units each month than it's considered a failure and not worth anyone's time. Especially if it's not Nintendo, because somehow Nintendo can do no wrong. They are the best because they outsell everybody here in America, and there should be no discussions or criticisms on that. Sales are ALL that matters, period! So we all need to buy a Wii and the five good games that are available for it and bow down to praise Nintendo. All hail, Nintendo! VIVA LA NINTENDO!! NINTENDO 4-EVA!!!

Josh

The 'new' EGM

Postby Josh » May 10th, 2010, 3:35 pm

Eh, don't jump on steer for this one. EGM used to be a popular video game mag. I perused the issue he is talking about the other day at Kroger. And yeah, it sucked.

Why would anybody pay for a mag with about 2 good articles and a bunch of ranting?

I grew up with a fun video game culture. Now, it is a bunch of cynical college fratboys - the bottom-feeders of society.

Hardcore_Sadist

The 'new' EGM

Postby Hardcore_Sadist » May 10th, 2010, 4:08 pm

This is not worth mentioning on the boards.

steer

The 'new' EGM

Postby steer » May 10th, 2010, 4:45 pm

Well if its the 'same old crap', blame 'the new EGM', not me, I simply gave a little overview of a classic mag brought back from death.

Did anyone read anything about sales number or 'Nintendo can do no wrong' in this thread? I certainly never read any of that. Perhaps comment on the topic on hand, and these boards will lose about half of their clutter.

Hardcore_Sadist

The 'new' EGM

Postby Hardcore_Sadist » May 10th, 2010, 4:52 pm

[QUOTE=steer]Well if its the 'same old crap', blame 'the new EGM', not me, I simply gave a little overview of a classic mag brought back from death.

Did anyone read anything about sales number or 'Nintendo can do no wrong' in this thread? I certainly never read any of that. Perhaps comment on the topic on hand, and these boards will lose about half of their clutter.
[/QUOTE]

It is not worth posting because by now we know of change in the magazine, literally no aspect of it should be news or put up as an interesting topic, even remotely.

Return to “Video Games General”