6/14/2006: PSP: Daxter, Mega Man Powered Up

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 14th, 2006, 5:15 pm

More cannon fodder for your enjoyment.

hi there

Postby hi there » June 14th, 2006, 6:22 pm

Great, now one of the four games i would buy a PSP for got a D.

JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » June 14th, 2006, 6:42 pm

Excellent reviews critic.  I was shocked to see that Mega Man Powered Up got a D.  I'm sure the game isn't nearly as good as many people made it out to be and your review justified my gut feeling about the game.  In your review you mentioned how nobody would want to play the stage again as the bosses, but they are supposed to access secret areas that Megaman cannot.  Its kind of a poor attempt to lengthen the game and add some replayability.

Linkdude

Postby Linkdude » June 14th, 2006, 6:44 pm

These reviews are good. Critic, I do not recommend Mega Man: Maverick Hunter X. It's not fun to me.

Boston

Postby Boston » June 14th, 2006, 6:56 pm

"cheap trick to lengthen the game"??? HAHAHAAAHAHA! Where do you think Capcom got this idea??? Let me see...just about every Mario and Kirby game I have played (and other games too) has the "search around for the coins and you'll never realize that these games are about 2 hours long" trick.

Anyway, I think Mega Man Powered up may be a bit overrated but this is probably the worse review I have seen from the critic. A "D"???? I think you are out of your mind. Maybe I am alone on this...oh no I am not...just about everybody (including reader reviews) has really liked this game. 

Sometimes critic you are just a tad too misleading for my book....I just don't get it. At least other sites are generally consistent and you can read between the lines but on this site it's impossible. Maybe that's the beauty of it...good luck with your book and your continued reviews.

Boston

Michael D

Postby Michael D » June 14th, 2006, 7:10 pm

Wow, I'm really surprised about Mega Man Powered Up, as I've heard many good things about it.  One thing I want to ask though, is what did you think of the level editor feature (along with the internet uploading/downloading user made stages)? I don't think you mentioned it in the review and it sounded like a great idea to me. 

Linkdude

Postby Linkdude » June 14th, 2006, 8:03 pm

I may be out of my mind, but Megaman: Powered Up got the grade it deserved. I mean, come on.... why would Capcom call it "Powered Up?" It sounds stupid.

Conn

Postby Conn » June 14th, 2006, 8:03 pm

A 'D' for Mega Man: Powered Up? Are you SERIOUS? Well, I guess you are, since a lot of your comments were incorrect.

"The fact that the objects are much larger changes the dynamics quite a bit,"
The objects themselves seem bigger, because of the style used, but everything is in proportion to the original Mega Man. It looks like Mega Man jumps really high but it's still 2 or 3 'blocks'.

"There's a surprising amount of slowdown,"

I never noticed any slowdown unless there were tons of enemies on screen. And there were few times there were lots on screen at a time.

"But will you really want to replay it? I doubt it."

Playing as a robot master changes the game up a bit. Not only are there nooks and crannies that only certain robot masters can get to (where you're rewarded with a Construction Pack), but they each have different playing styles.. Fire Man can walk through fire un harmed, but touching water disables his projecticle. Ice Man and Oil Man are immune to slipping on ice and oil (respectively). Guts Man lacks a real attack and makes the game seem pretty different.

"You can't "kill" a boss in this politically correct age, so Mega Man always has to ask his defeated foe, "Are you okay?""

Canonically, the robots are Mega Man's 'siblings', so I think you can excuse that.

Also, I noticed how you decided to neglect the Level Editor, Challenge Mode and the Downloadable Levels.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 14th, 2006, 8:48 pm

[QUOTE=Conn]A 'D' for Mega Man: Powered Up? Are you SERIOUS? Well, I guess you are, since a lot of your comments were incorrect.

"The fact that the objects are much larger changes the dynamics quite a bit,"
The objects themselves seem bigger, because of the style used, but everything is in proportion to the original Mega Man. It looks like Mega Man jumps really high but it's still 2 or 3 'blocks'.

"There's a surprising amount of slowdown,"

I never noticed any slowdown unless there were tons of enemies on screen. And there were few times there were lots on screen at a time.

"But will you really want to replay it? I doubt it."

Playing as a robot master changes the game up a bit. Not only are there nooks and crannies that only certain robot masters can get to (where you're rewarded with a Construction Pack), but they each have different playing styles.. Fire Man can walk through fire un harmed, but touching water disables his projecticle. Ice Man and Oil Man are immune to slipping on ice and oil (respectively). Guts Man lacks a real attack and makes the game seem pretty different.

"You can't "kill" a boss in this politically correct age, so Mega Man always has to ask his defeated foe, "Are you okay?""

Canonically, the robots are Mega Man's 'siblings', so I think you can excuse that.

Also, I noticed how you decided to neglect the Level Editor, Challenge Mode and the Downloadable Levels.[/QUOTE]

1. Yes, I am serious.

2. The objects may be in proportion to each other, but they're not in proportion to the screen layout.  If you play the "old style" and the original game back-to-back, they play very different.

3. If you want to see slowdown, just look at any screen with lava shooting out of pipes.  It's subtle, but enough to screw up your jumps.

4. So the game magically becomes fun when you play through as a boss huh?

5. The other robots were siblings!?  Please refer back to the part of my review where I mention "throwing up".  If you sat through the cut-scenes to learn that piece of info, you have too much time on your hands my friend.

6. Yes, I decided to neglect the the Level Editor, Challenge Mode and the Downloadable Levels.  And I will continue to do so!

Dave

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » June 14th, 2006, 8:50 pm

ARRRGHH!  You disliked a game on the PSP!  Hpw dare you!?  I want to know where a guy like you gets the right to give his subjective opinion of a game on his own website full of subjective reviews from himself.

Return to “Review Feedback”