11/4/2006: Atari XEGS: Ballblazer, Hardball, Mario Bros.

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
Mario Bros. Lover

Postby Mario Bros. Lover » November 10th, 2006, 5:13 pm

Here's the proper screenshot for the XE version:

http://www.atarimania.com/detail_soft.php?MENU=8&VERSION_ID=6046

You think the 5200 graphics are better than that???!

And you didn't even mention the intermissions....

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » November 10th, 2006, 9:21 pm

Critic, The MARIO lover is correct. I love 5200 MB, but the XE version IS different. It has sharper graphics, Intermissions (the 5200, early 400/800 carts do not), and looks more like the 7800 than the screenshot you have up.

I never actually PLAYED it myself though, was the XE version only available on Floppy Disc?

Mario Bros. Lover

Postby Mario Bros. Lover » November 11th, 2006, 8:10 am

Nope, it's a cartridge.

Looking back at the review, I guess he did mention the intermissions "There are even introductory screens for each stage".  And maybe that means he really did review the XE version...

But he was still wrong about the creatures flying up at angles.  It may be a bit harder to get the angle than in the 5200 version, but that may more accurately reflect the arcade game (and create more of a challenge).

That being said, the 5200 version is fun and the (somewhat strange) graphics are well animated...  I'd rank the 5200 version above the 7800 version unlike the Many Faces page....

Mario Bros. Lover

Postby Mario Bros. Lover » November 11th, 2006, 8:26 am

It's interesting to look at the original many faces of Mario Bros. review which has an in-depth look at the 5200 version:

http://www.tomheroes.com/Video%20Games%20FS/Retrotimes/Best%20Of/Many%20Faces/mario_bros.htm

He saw flaws I never noticed when I played the game as a kid.  Both fireballs are the same?  No headroom on top?

His reviews are more thorough than the critic's, but the critic's style is more readable and fun.

On the merits, though, I have to think the critic was way off on this one, and about my favorite game too...

Mario Bros. Lover

Postby Mario Bros. Lover » November 18th, 2006, 8:04 am

You fixed the screenshot critic, but you should also fix your comment about the creatures only flying straight up, which was not correct... perhaps it's a bit harder to get the angle than in the 5200 version but it's nothing you couldn't see with a couple minutes of experimentation....

Mario Bros. Lover

Postby Mario Bros. Lover » January 2nd, 2007, 9:58 pm

You still haven't fixed this review?

a1

Postby a1 » January 3rd, 2007, 1:02 am

[QUOTE=Mario Bros. Lover]

You still haven't fixed this review?

[/QUOTE]

Why don't you try emailing him? You can't expect him to read every post.

MrFish1

Postby MrFish1 » July 5th, 2014, 5:15 pm

[QUOTE=Mario Bros. Lover]

But he was still wrong about the creatures flying up at angles.  It may be a bit harder to get the angle than in the 5200 version, but that may more accurately reflect the arcade game (and create more of a challenge).

[/QUOTE]

Not to beat a dead horse, but... I remember seeing this review years ago and noticing the same thing. You can hit enemies from underneath and get them to flip over, going off the the left or right at angle from where you hit them. The contradictory statement in the review is incorrect and should be changed.

Teddybear1

Postby Teddybear1 » July 5th, 2014, 6:57 pm

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic][QUOTE=Alienblue]I'll never understand how anyone can love BALLBLAZER. Sure it had Fractal Graphics and amzing 3-D and all, but strip it down to the essential GAMEPLAY- It's just 3-D PONG! Boooring!

[/QUOTE]

It's not fair to compare Ballblazer to Pong - the two games aren't remotely alike.  If anything, it has more in common with hockey or soccer.  It also has a lot of style and strategy.
[/QUOTE]

Since this thread has been resurrected I must comment - I have to agree with Alienblue on this one.  I have the 7800 and C-64 version and what a big yawn it is.  Super-cool to look at but it is nothing much more than a glorified Pong. 

Return to “Review Feedback”