Most Unreliable Console?

General and high profile video game topics.
Chris D.

Most Unreliable Console?

Postby Chris D. » October 31st, 2008, 11:53 am

My original Playstation which I bought pretty shortly after its release used to freeze up on me.  I believe I used to physically  move the laser (or whatever it's called) on its track to unfreeze it.

I never had a single problem with my Saturn and I played it a lot, quite a bit more than the Playstation, actually.

The only problems I've ever had with earlier systems were power cord issues. I remember my Sega Genesis had a short in the power cord and I had to replace it. The console itself was reliable.

No problems with the few Atari 2600s I owned either. Just the usual controllers wearing out. The console itself was a tank.

X-pert74

Most Unreliable Console?

Postby X-pert74 » November 1st, 2008, 5:19 am

From my own experience, either the Colecovision, PS2, or 360. My family has had multiple broken Colecovisions, and one of our first PS2s suffered from the disc-read errors, which made us have to buy a slimline PS2 to replace it. My 360 got the red ring of death one week after I got it, but ever since then it's worked fine. I haven't gotten it fixed, and it plays games fine, but it's really ****ing loud and I'm often worried that it'll just suddenly break.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Most Unreliable Console?

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 1st, 2008, 12:44 pm

I'd have to agree about the Colevision.  When I started collecting classic systems in the late 90's early 2000's, I went through a few of these trying to find one that was reliable.  Apparently Coleco didn't make the highest quality stuff. 

I finally souped up a Colecovision via Old School Gamer (see my links) but while the picture is sharp, I still have occasional issues.

Alienblue

Most Unreliable Console?

Postby Alienblue » November 1st, 2008, 7:25 pm

HEY DAVE WHAT THE HECKS A COLEVISION? A game machine for
ol King Cole?

Here you are snapping at others for errors, and you make a doozy!
Another unmarried marriage counseler!

(Please I'm just yanking yor chane!)

I LOVE COLECOVISION. Not to mention COLLIEVISION for Collie dogs!
And COLLEGEVISION for...

My 1982 CV lasted 3 years just fine. Three used CVs worked fine and my ADAM COMPUTER STILL WORKS FLAWLESSLY.

The problem is you guys are too lazy to unplug the adaptor! The CV comes with a GIANT, twelve pound brick adaptor that will either burn out or fry the unit if left plugged in!

Old AC adaptors get very hot when left plugged in 24/7 and will burn out or catch fire! Every old game system manual says

"Please unplug the power supply when the system is not in use."

We no longer do that, but for pre-NES systems it is a must!

DONT BE A SLUG/ UNPLUG!

ptdebate1

Most Unreliable Console?

Postby ptdebate1 » July 11th, 2014, 1:22 pm

[QUOTE=scotland17]Don't be a slug, unplug. Good advice from Elder AlienBlue, as those old power supplies can overheat. My cartridge systems, including the Nat King Colecovision, still run fine. The Odyssey2 action buttons failed after heavy use, but tinfoil bought you time to hunt for a replacement. My C64 1541 disk drive was tempermental though, and I had to put weight on my playstation until I replced it with a PSOne. I replaced the pins in my NES toaster when I kept getting the lockout chip tango. I understand the design decision, but couldn't we topload and swivel the cart horizontal?

As for handhelds, my SP has been a tank while I lost a Dingoo in a short drop. That SP is made from pink Nintendium, I guess.

Is the general opinion that the Dreamcast had serious issues? Hows about the modern consoles and handhelds? How about things like DS and 3DS screen scratches or failing touchscreen or other controls?[/QUOTE]

Dreamcast quality varies considerably base on which hardware revision you have. Rev 0, the launch version, had metal components inside, such as moldings and fan casings, that served as heat sinks. These parts in all subsequent revisions were made of plastic.

My vote for most unreliable console is a three-way tie: launch ps1, launch ps2, and launch ps3. All three had disk drives seriously prone to failure. For some reason, Sony doesn't seem to learn from their mistakes.

Segatarious1

Most Unreliable Console?

Postby Segatarious1 » July 11th, 2014, 1:37 pm

3ds and DS are notorious for bad shoulder buttons, you have to blow in them to get them to work again - temporarily.

The main reason I would recommend a 2DS over a 3DS.

Vexer1

Most Unreliable Console?

Postby Vexer1 » July 11th, 2014, 3:03 pm

I have to agree on the Dreamcast, reliability was not it's strong point, mine only lasted for a year and a half before calling it quits. Compare that with my Core model Xbox 360 which lasted me for a good three years(and probably would've lasted longer had I not been stupid enough to keep it in an enclosed space for so long which caused it to overheat).

I've heard the Jaguar CD's are also extremely unreliable, AVGN bought two defective models before finally getting one that worked. Dr. Insano was a bit luckier, but said there were at least five different ways that the console could fail(I.E. if the memory track cartridge isn't perfectly set, if the CD case closes too tight and damages the laser).

Sut1

Most Unreliable Console?

Postby Sut1 » July 11th, 2014, 4:15 pm

I think all consoles Dreamcast onwards are relatively unreliable, except maybe the GameCube.
I'm on my 4th PS2, 2nd PS3 and the early model 360's are infamous for reliability issues.
In contrast I've still got my original Saturn and that's had hours of use, my Sega Multi-Mega still functions fine and I think the Master System 2 is indestructible.

Tron1

Most Unreliable Console?

Postby Tron1 » July 11th, 2014, 5:01 pm

Fer all da heat the 360 took I've only had to fix mine once since 08. I'm on my fifth ps2. 2 fats, 2 slims & now another fat that ain't running so good. NES was problematic, but with enuff fidgitin it would work.

Rev1

Most Unreliable Console?

Postby Rev1 » July 11th, 2014, 5:13 pm

I think the Turbo Duo should be mentioned as the original model was very flimsy and the lifespan is very short for the console.

Return to “Video Games General”