Negative speculation going too far?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Hardcore_Sadism1

Postby Hardcore_Sadism1 » August 16th, 2010, 9:03 pm

Note: This an exert from cheat code central as a scoop on the pricing of the Nintendo 3DS, it is not certain whether this is just another rumor or could actually happen.

3DS over $300?

[QUOTE]
"According to CVG, the online retailer, Play.com may have revealed the 
 pricing of Nintendo's next portable more than a full month before the company's official announcement. The retailer lists the red, blue, and black versions of the 3DS at 199.99 Pounds. Once converted to US dollars this clocks in at a little over $313. Could Nintendo possibly try to charge one and a half times the price of their home console for their upcoming portable? While we'll have to wait until the end of September to know for sure, this seems like a very high estimate on the part of Play.com"
[/QUOTE]

I feel like this will continue on going, lets just not jinx the price, people.

BanjoPickles1

Postby BanjoPickles1 » August 17th, 2010, 2:01 am

I'm not trying to jinx it, but I'm 99.9% sure that Nintendo would not make the 3DS the most expensive piece of hardware they have ever released! Also, all they have to do is look at the history of their competition to know that the system will not fly off the shelves at such a price.

I think that a safer bet would be $200.

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » August 17th, 2010, 2:22 am

By pounds I presume we're talking about the UK pricing. It's not at all uncommon for a console or handheld to launch at significantly higher prices in a region like the UK when you convert it to USD. So even if it's true (I rather doubt it), it doesn't necessarily have a correlation with the pricing of the 3DS in North America.

It wouldn't be the first time gamers in the UK have had to pay a significant premium over the pricing of a system here in the United States and Canada.

Adamant1

Postby Adamant1 » August 17th, 2010, 7:22 am

[QUOTE=Leo]It's not at all uncommon for a console or handheld to launch at significantly higher prices in a region like the UK when you convert it to USD. 

[/QUOTE]

If by "not uncommon" you mean "always, without fail", then yes. 

Yeah, this is complete and utter crap written by some laughably clueless person. Give it no thought.

JesusSaves

Postby JesusSaves » August 17th, 2010, 8:02 am

I'm not worried. I'm not planing on getting one anyway, for multiple reasons. I'll just pick up a 3DS when it drops to about 70 dollars in 10 years.

JWK1

Postby JWK1 » August 17th, 2010, 9:25 am

I hope it's not that expensive; that would suck. I still think I'd buy one, but it would be a while before I did.  Besides, they have pricing for games (Nintendogs + Cats, etc) on amazon already and they'll be $40 a pop!  That would get REAL expensive REAL fast.  You're in $500 territory just to own the system and four or five games!!  Since the original DS launched at $150, I'd imagine $200 or $220 to be a more reasonable estimate.  We may even see $250, but anything above that and we're getting into a price range that's too expensive for the MAJORITY of gamers.  They can't possibly sell 132 million of those things (like they did with the DS) if this leak is true.  Truth be told, we'll all continue to guess until September/October while keeping our fingers crossed.  I've become VERY interested in the system lately, though initially I thought it sounded like a ridiculous idea.

Blueguy93

Postby Blueguy93 » August 17th, 2010, 1:21 pm

I don't usually by a new console (or handheld) until the year after its release. However, with the 3DS, I have to cough up a lot of cash for that! It's just a DS with 3D effects that you can turn off (okay- and better graphics). I'm glad it wasn't going to be another Virtual Boy (not always a bad thing), but even so, the price might convince me to just stick with my DS for a while.

N64Dude1

Postby N64Dude1 » August 21st, 2010, 6:16 pm

So? Everything in U.K. is twice as expensive as over here [except Coca-Cola,Irn-Bru and Cadbury Bars] and obviously something for U.S. retail ain't gonna be listed and besides it ain't legit anyway.

Big N hasn't ever priced anything above $200 alone [the extra $50 from launch to price cut was obviously for the game] and I don't ever remember a handheld by them ever exceeding $150,I wouldn't ya'll ta' worry until Big N it self says $300.

Not like I want one anyway,in fact I think the launch of this system will signal the beginning of being an exclusively old-school gamer for me.

0-Storm

Postby 0-Storm » August 21st, 2010, 9:51 pm

I'm geeked about the 3DS. Not because of the system itself, but hopefully because it'll lower the prices on the original DS & PSP. I'm still playing Game Boy Advance.

Luke

Postby Luke » August 21st, 2010, 10:50 pm

The word is that the 3DS will have graphical capabilities comparable to the PS3 and Xbox 360. Even Yoshinori Ono, the producer of Street Fighter IV, said that the 3DS port will be identical to the console ports, except with added 3D visuals. So I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the 3DS were priced at $300 or higher.

Return to “Modern Gaming”