Super Mario Galaxy 2

The readers post their own reviews.
N64Dude1

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Postby N64Dude1 » August 22nd, 2010, 6:57 pm

The marathon has been 3 months over,that has also given me 3 months to dive into the latest game in the Mario franchise Super Mario Galaxy 2 which has done anything but disappoint.

Super Mario Galaxy 2
Grade: A
Platform: Wii
Year: 2010
Developer: Nintendo
Publisher: Nintendo

Put Super Mario Galaxy,Super Mario 64,and Super Mario World mix them in a bowl and add a dash of "girlfriend mode" and maybe a hint of challenge,put it on a disc and into the Wii and VOILA! You get Super Mario Galaxy 2!! On a more serious note Nintendo has really done something amazing. First they've kept all the power-ups of Super Mario Galaxy [sorry Ice Flower] and added some new ones,which by the way are just as responsive as the returning ones. Ya' know what scratch that,the controls of the whole game are unfathomably responsive like for example trying to work the drill,I totally expected some resistance and/or lag but nope not a bit at all. The soundtrack is like any Mario game outstanding.

Now more into the meat of the game,basically Princess Peach has been kidnapped once again and you as Mario must save the day,except this time you're on a spaceship [shaped just like Mario in Super Mario 64] traveling across the universe on a huge linear map as opposed to  going from dome to dome to get to worlds. Returning to the crew is Yoshi who helps on an innumerable amount of missions from swallowing fruit to glowing in the dark [no matter what he's incredibly easy to work with].The levels are all very imaginative [like Galaxy/World/64] and huge [like Sunshine/64] and in no way poorly designed,some in grandiose 3D and some in linear 2D which balance each other out quite well.The game is easy to learn,hard to master,not over too quickly.The camera is greatly improved and the "girlfriend mode" helps to make the game less overwhelming at times.

Unfortunately the game still has too many levels and not enough time to spend taking them in,and while there aren't as many cutscenes,there is too much gratitous dialogue. Also why aren't there 8 hits and 8 red coins? Otherwise it easily could've been an A+ game. Super Mario Galaxy 2 is a treasure well worth putting in over and over and over.

-N64Dude

P.S. Sorry if I made this one too long,but I really have much more to say and that was the minimum I could dare make this one

Orion Pimpdaddy

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Postby Orion Pimpdaddy » August 22nd, 2010, 9:50 pm

[QUOTE=N64Dude]Also why aren't there 8 hits and 8 red coins?

[/QUOTE]

I agree with your review, but I have no idea what this statement means.

N64Dude1

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Postby N64Dude1 » August 22nd, 2010, 11:54 pm

In Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine you died after you got hit 8 times by something,when Galaxy came out that was reduced to 3 hits [6 if you had enough star bits to buy an Extra-Life mushroom which gave you an extra 3 hits,and 1 only for Daredevil comets]

In purple comets you had to collect 100 coins within a timed limit,now I don't if that carried into Galaxy 2 but it used to be tedious. Personally I thought 8 was the perfect number so even if Nintendo didn't have any stars reliant on coin hunting,I'd still count it as a minus

blueguy93

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Postby blueguy93 » August 31st, 2010, 6:01 pm

Having red coins in Mario Galaxy wouldn't be good unless you unlocked a small planet that had red coins. In the game there were lots of launch stars, so if there were red coins in the 2 galaxies, you would have to restart the level again. Good review by the way

N64Dude1

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Postby N64Dude1 » April 2nd, 2011, 1:18 am

This isn't an official one from the month-long run I did last year,but it's arguably just as well written.

It also happens to be the only other take on Super Mario Galaxy 2

So if the nominations aren't done,and we are allowed more than one this one also has my nomination

Leo1

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Postby Leo1 » April 7th, 2011, 2:20 am

This doesn't have anything to do with the quality of your review one way or another, so please don't interpret my post incorrectly since I'm not talking about the quality of it at all.

But on the subject of nominating a forum review for inclusion on the main site, it seems like someone other than the reviewer should be the one that nominates a review as worthy for consideration of appearing on the website.

I'm sure everyone that contributes a review in this forum considers it worthy material for being displayed on the main site, so it seems like some objectivity would be best in this situation by leaving it up to 3rd parties to decide.

Just letting a reviewer nominate his own review seems to make the process pointless.

N64Dude1

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Postby N64Dude1 » April 7th, 2011, 12:25 pm

I agree,but unfortunately sometimes it's the only way to get what's obscure but well done out into the light.

It does seem odd and even a little off,not my intentions however.

No matter what people come to look at it and reply if they don't have to dig.

However I am at odds with the idea the writer is always partial and holds everything he writes at high hopes. Well I tell you now I wish I never wrote that Wiiview,the first few reviews are a doozy, and this series is the best I've ever done

The other parts of the series were nominated and this is done in the same vein.

steer

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Postby steer » April 7th, 2011, 5:33 pm

No offense to N64 dude, but I am not sure this reviiew is up to snuff, so to speak. I hate to be the 'Simon' of the board, but I vote no.

shak rooks

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Postby shak rooks » February 15th, 2012, 8:54 am

super mario galaxy 2 BEAST

James1

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Postby James1 » February 16th, 2012, 10:59 pm

[QUOTE=steer]No offense to N64 dude, but I am not sure this reviiew is up to snuff, so to speak. I hate to be the 'Simon' of the board, but I vote no.

[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry that I have to be "That Guy" too but I'm going to have to agree with steer. No offense but after your Atari Jaguar review I have a tough time taking some of what you write seriously.

Return to “Reader Reviews”