6/21/2006: Odyssey 2: Mr. Roboto

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 21st, 2006, 10:10 pm

This was a tough review.  I was really torn about the technical problems, but in the end, you can't hold a homebrew game to the same standards as a million-dollar project financed by a major publisher for a brand new console and selling for $60 (*cough*MLK 2K6*cough*).  That's my opinion but feel free to post yours.

Funkmaster V

Postby Funkmaster V » June 22nd, 2006, 2:46 am

Sounds lik a blast. Wish I had an O2

FUNK

Shawn

Postby Shawn » June 22nd, 2006, 5:22 am

I am sure it is a great game but I don't understand how technical flaws this severe can be ignored in the grading process with this game (A) but completely dictate the grade of another (360-MLB Game). I know you mentioned it in the review and noted it took it down a half of grade but if the game is proned to locking up shouldn't it be less then "A" material? Just curious.

Shawn

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » June 22nd, 2006, 9:14 am

I don't have the voice module, so should the game work fine with my O2?  I think I'll be ordering most of those new O2 hombrews in one shot soon, as they look really good.  KTAA really has my interest since the review here.

sega saturn x

Postby sega saturn x » June 22nd, 2006, 1:07 pm

This makes me want an o2, but you know there are a lot of systems I want so *shrugs*.

Zenzerotron

Postby Zenzerotron » June 22nd, 2006, 1:16 pm

I feel you SHOULD hold homebrews to the same standards as "real" games.

Otherwise, you are simply being, *gasp*, BAISED

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » June 22nd, 2006, 4:28 pm

I DO NOT think you should hold homebrews to "commercial" standards, but even if...! In the early 2600 catalog there
WERE commercial games that had terrible control, graphics
and play issues. DATA AGE and APPOLO junk...I believe the
early Apollo "skeet shoot" carts had ROLLING SCREENS making
THOSE unplayable! Well, of course then only one programmer
was de-bugging these games (a teenager at that) ; much
the same as homebrews.

With a $60 commercial PS2 or XBOX game that took many months/
years to finish by a TEAM of up to 20!....if a game crashes
THEN , that is unacceptable!

If this IS a real bug I'm sure a "version 2.0" will be in the future-and KUDOS for them including one player mode!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 22nd, 2006, 5:03 pm

Okay, so I trashed MLB 2K6 for the Xbox 360 because it crashes after the second inning.  Mr. Roboto also has crash problems but I went easy on it.  It looks like I'm a hypocritical bastard, but there are some differences.

1. Mr. Roboto is highly playable, and even if you play without the voice module (which may or may not eliminate crashes), it would still be in A territory.

2. The MLB crash was well documented and confirmed by 2K Sports.  But since I've heard nothing else about the Mr. Roboto crash, it's possible that my system (particularly the voice module) could be at fault.  The thing is almost 30 years old for Pete's sake.

3. MLB 2K6 probably would have sucked even if it did work.  From the little I saw, it would have been lucky to reach a C.  Mr. Roboto on the other hand is a hell of a lot of fun, and everyone who plays it rates it as an A+.

4. You can't overlook the fact that Mr. Roboto was a one-man homebrew, and can't be expected to have the same QA process as a multi-million dollar project with a team of highly paid professionals for a large corporation.  Hey, we're all biased.  If not, I would be Mr. Roboto, right?

Okay that's my two cents.  Am I right or wrong?

If you'd rate it differently, let us know what the grade should be and your reasoning.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 22nd, 2006, 5:05 pm

By the way, we could get to the bottom of this if other Mr. Roboto owners could share their experiences.  If you're out there, speak up!!

Zen444

Postby Zen444 » June 22nd, 2006, 5:10 pm

You must have some sort've faulty copy, since Mr.Roboto works in my O2 fine with the voice module.

Return to “Review Feedback”