Kinect or Move: Which will be the bigger bust?

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 24th, 2010, 8:26 pm

I am thinking that the next wave of motion controls by Microsoft (Kinect) and Sony (Move) will be met with extreme apathy.  Neither one of these looks the least bit compelling.

People have already been using motion controls for nearly five years on the Wii.  It's old news.  These new products might be advancing the technology, but unless one of them has a must-have game, nobody's going to want this.

These will meet the same fate as Sega's Activator and Sony's Eyetoy, in my opinion.

What do you guys think? 

steer

Postby steer » August 24th, 2010, 9:55 pm

Well, I do believe the hardcore gamers will buy both at a decent rate at launch.

I am utterly unconvinced either will get any major, consistent, or ambitious support.

I believe MOVE is the better product, but I think Kinect will sell better, lets face it in the US and Britain Microsoft is a much stronger brand than Sony right now, and I believe this will follow that trend.

I am not sure what Sony can do to reverse that - their name was built on 3rd party exclusives and that was broken to pieces this gen, no compelling reason why they would go back to Sony, exclusively. This is another place and another time.

Orion1

Postby Orion1 » August 24th, 2010, 10:15 pm

Both of those devices may indeed fail.  It is so late in these system's lifecycles I don't think anyone's going to notice.  The Wii Motion Plus doesn't seem to be as big of a hit as I thought it would.  I only see two Motion Plus games on the upcoming release calendar.  I'm not sure how comparable the Wii Plus is to these new devices since it's just a simple upgrade, but it can't be a good sign.

On the other hand, Microsoft and Sony will probably have a huge advertising budget for the new devices.  We also don't know how fun the new devices will be.  If the Move feels much better than the WiiMote, I can see some people "upgrading" to the device and putting their Wii into storage.

Let's check this thread in a couple of years to see how close our predictions were.

Blueguy93

Postby Blueguy93 » August 24th, 2010, 10:22 pm

Move, the PS3 can't handle it probably. It might have a lag.

Adamant1

Postby Adamant1 » August 25th, 2010, 2:31 am

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic]

These will meet the same fate as Sega's Activator and Sony's Eyetoy, in my opinion.

[/QUOTE]

Definitely. How many add-ons introduced this late into a system's life ever got proper support?

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » August 25th, 2010, 4:34 am

I don't agree that it's so late in these system's life cycles, both companies are talking about this generation going on for a lot longer.  We haven't heard any rumours of next gen hardware which pushes any new machines out to at least two years in the future. Plus there's absolutely nothing to suggest that Kinect won't just plug into the USB port on the next MS console.  We're talking ubiquitious hardware these days using standard interfaces so should be perfectly forwards compatible. 

The thing about Kinect which appeals to me more than Move is it's a one time payment rather than buying loads of accessories and cluttering the flat and it also becomes the standard means of interacting with the interface.  The simple ability to watch DVDs without having to turn on my controller everytime I want to pause the film or resume it is a massive bonus.

JesusSaves

Postby JesusSaves » August 25th, 2010, 8:33 am

Microsoft has stated that they think the Xbox 360 will last until 2015. I think they're crazy. Nintendo is already plotting a new home console. The Wii and PS3 are almost 4 years old. They probably won't last more than 3 more years. The 360 is even older...

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » August 25th, 2010, 12:38 pm

JesusSaves the Wii hardware looked outdated when it was released so the fact that Nintendo are planning a new machine has little impact on the other two companies.  The Sony hardware has already demoed that it can manage HD visuals with 3D and a rumoured 60fps so there's absolutely no need for them to release a new machine as it has the capabilities to go on and on.  As for the 360 it's still holding its own in terms of graphical capability with the PS3 thanks to the superior toolchains and simpler hardware design.  Once the Crytech engine port is finished that looks to be giving both systems a good fidelity increase also so while 2015 might seem outlandish I can imagine we'd still be seeing game released, much like how the PS2 kept going for many years.

JesusSaves

Postby JesusSaves » August 25th, 2010, 4:42 pm

Nintendo never stated that their newest console would have updated graphics/hardware. If they cared so much about graphics they would've made the Wii HD to begin with.

gilly

Postby gilly » August 25th, 2010, 6:44 pm

[QUOTE=JesusSaves]Nintendo never stated that their newest console would have updated graphics/hardware. If they cared so much about graphics they would've made the Wii HD to begin with.[/QUOTE]

you're joking?

Return to “Video Games General”