More evidence HD gaming has been unsustainable?

General and high profile video game topics.
Adamant1

Postby Adamant1 » August 25th, 2010, 11:20 pm

[QUOTE=JesusSaves]And Nintendo is still raking in the cash on low-budget, "casual" games. I hate Casual games. I would go as far as to say that Mario Galaxy 2 was casual because it was so easy, and was basically just a rehash of Galaxy 1.[/QUOTE]

Does that include GTA and EA Sports Update Of The Year, or are "casual games" okay if they aim for the casual gamers who play more manly games?

0-Storm

Postby 0-Storm » August 26th, 2010, 1:21 am

I personally don't see Steer as ruining these forums. He's just posting about game related information & giving his opinion. Just because it's not specifically about a certain game it still relates to the video game industry. If you want to disagree with him that's fine, but why all the hate? I enjoy info like this & although I may not agree 100% with his take on things I still find it informative.  

Luke

Postby Luke » August 26th, 2010, 2:27 am

If EA has a problem selling games it's probably because people are getting tired of paying $60 every year for the same football, basketball, soccer or baseball game that they played the previous year. Especially in this broken economy where people are trying to watch their money closer.

I don't mind buying games that are distributed by EA. But when it comes to games that have been published by them, I just look the other way. I mean, just look at how they have recently decided to handle the PS3/360 ports of NBA Jam. What a joke!

EA has absolutely no love for the gaming community.

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » August 26th, 2010, 3:44 am

If steer thinks game prices are high he really should have been around in the 8 and 16bit eras, now those were high prices.

steer

Postby steer » August 26th, 2010, 7:28 am

Hardly, the people playing the vast majority of releases on the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 aren't going to suddenly switch to things like Wii Sports, Wii Play, Wii Music, Wii Fit, Wii Party, etc. You'll also never see something like Deca Sports or Carnival Games being some of the best performing 3rd party releases for either developer.

Leo - you are in denial. If 360/PS3 game is going so well, you would not see month after month of decline, you would not see increased subscription and DLC costs (which you ignored in your rebuttal) you would not see MS and Sony suddenly needing to release new control methods, you would not see the continuing massive copying of Nintendo software by both 3rd and 2nd and 1rst parties on 360 and PS3.

Nintendo has a far more diversified software lineup that appeals to peopl of all ages and genders, and etc. Sony and MS target the HARDCOAR gamer - this is gaming 101 - shooters, M rated, story driven 'EPIC!' blah blah

Hardcore games ARE suddenly switching on 360/PS3 Leo - because they have been buying games like Wii Sports, Wii Play, Wii Fit, Wii Music all along - lol, this board is proof of that! And so is this :

Everything is great, layoffs are rampant, the game industry is contracting, major publishers are going wildly boom and bust, huge budget games such as Alan Wake are flopping, game studios and talents are being 'stolen' and taken and traded, investors are cooling on the game industry, and Sony and MS are BOTH releasing NEW CONTROLLERS in the SAME HOLIDAY - 

And you say HD gaming is just fine - totally laughable.

By the way, having discussion on this board in not a problem. Good grief. -David

Also Blue Monkey - huh, ever heard of cartridge production costs?

Roperious1

Postby Roperious1 » August 26th, 2010, 7:34 am

[QUOTE=Luke]EA has absolutely no love for the gaming community. [/QUOTE]

I'll say this for EA, they're trying a lot harder now to win gamers over. They're taking some chances with some new IPs and I think that's a great thing. EA used to put out some great titles. Dead Space was super refreshing coming from EA. 

If you want a company to rag on right now, I think it's totally Activision. In my mind they are the new "EA". 

Hardcore_Sadism1

Postby Hardcore_Sadism1 » August 26th, 2010, 7:51 am

[QUOTE=0-Storm]

I personally don't see Steer as ruining these forums. He's just posting about game related information & giving his opinion. Just because it's not specifically about a certain game it still relates to the video game industry. If you want to disagree with him that's fine, but why all the hate? I enjoy info like this & although I may not agree 100% with his take on things I still find it informative.  

[/QUOTE]

Then can you explain why it is all mostly Nintendo and he reserves negative criticisms later for Microsoft and Sony related news?

JesusSaves

Postby JesusSaves » August 26th, 2010, 2:12 pm

Steer, you are delusional. Lets wait a 3 years and see where HD goes. Just because EA states that it believes video game budgets are in decline does not in any way shape or form mean that HD is to expensive to continue producing. This statement could include Nintendo budgets and casual games for all you know. Note "Budgets for games". NOT "Budgets for HD games," or "Budgets for casual games" or "Budgets for EA games" or "Budgets for 360/PS3 games".

I could just as easily read into this that games (in particular HD games) are becoming cheaper to produce and therefore that a larger budget is not needed.

Use common sense. Instead of imposing your Nintendo-chauvinistic views onto every news story you come across, actually read the story for what it is worth. EA thinks that most game budgets are decreasing. End of story.

0-Storm

Postby 0-Storm » August 26th, 2010, 2:33 pm

Nintendo is a great system. If someone wants to be a fanboy then so what. I love my 360 & I'd probably love the PS3 if I had one, maybe in 10 years. Just because some info is biased doesn't mean everything is wrong. I think its pretty obvious that Sony & Microsoft are comming out with "motion controls", because of Nintendo's success.

Anyhow I got some hate to share. The hate is for:

EA Sports.

The hate is for issuing a one-time downloadable code to play NBA Jam on the new NBA Elite 11 game. I understand EA wants to sell new games, but trying to destroy the second-hand market in the process is wrong.

The good news is buying second-hand games will become cheaper & cheaper. The bad news is games you own will retain little to no value. I know sports games don't retain value anyway, but how long do you think it will be until rpgs & other genres start getting one-time downloadable content?

I hope this move backfires. I hope the game will depreciate so much once the code is used that most people will just buy used games to save $40.

EA could have put the content on a disc. Instead they try a new under-handed trick. I hate one-time downloadable content.   

Josh

Postby Josh » August 26th, 2010, 3:57 pm

What the heck is "hard coar" gaming?

Anyways,

Doesn't it cost a lot of money to develop HD graphics? I mean, high definition refers to the fact that we see every little detail, right?

Doesn't it take a lot of time and work to work on every little detail? Thus resulting in high costs to develop.

I personally think steer is right on this one. There is a lot of money dumped into some of these high profile games that doesn't see much of a return in profit. That's why all of these third party publishers have been whining and moaning about Gamestop and trying to figure out ways to persuade consumers to buy new. Developers are pumping a lot of money into these projects only to see them sell big initially and then plummet as games are sold back and forth. I think it was Capcom that posted a huge loss at the first of the year.

I really don't have much sympathy for them. They pump out throw away games that have no replay value, promote games for online multiplayer that are quickly eclipsed by the next hit (leaving no players on previous servers), and try to sell downloadable games that we have no guarantee of keeping and are not advertised to the average joe.

To me, developers and VG companies have got caught up in the tech bubble and believe everyone thinks like they do. We don't!

I wish all games developed and published would be offered on physical copies and then priced according to how much they cost to develop. They could then put them in different size boxes to delineate which was which. That way, the cheaper games would not be misinterpreted as bargain-binners.
Of course, that's all pretty much a pipe dream.

Return to “Video Games General”