What was your first console?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Michael R.

Postby Michael R. » September 25th, 2010, 11:59 am

Just wondering what everyone's first video game console was. I personally grew up with an Atari 2600 which I sadly gave away later on. Thankfully I purchased another one this year. I was even talking to my science teacher and he grew up with an Intellivision and he said that one of his friends had a Colecovision and another had an Atari 2600. He is the only person I know in real life who knows what an Intellivison or Colecovision is without me telling them. I just strayed off topic a little bit... so what are your guys' first consoles?

-Michael

soporj1

Postby soporj1 » September 25th, 2010, 12:49 pm

I remember getting an Intellivision the Christmas it came out. I remember getting MLB Baseball and Auto Racing too.

Great memories!

Will Patrick

Postby Will Patrick » September 25th, 2010, 1:06 pm

Sears Video Arcade with the games Target Fun (Air-Sea Battle) and Tank-Plus (Combat). 

The first console I played was a couple years before -- one of the dedicated Pong consoles.  Talk about perspective -- those rudimentary games looked amazing just because I could control something, in this case a little block on the TV.  Okay, I'm feeling old now.... 

Wallyworld1

Postby Wallyworld1 » September 25th, 2010, 2:20 pm

When I was 4 years old 1981 my dad brought home an Intellivision. The first game I played for it was Triple Action. I right away started beating my dad at the tank battle game with bouncing bullets.

We also had a lame blackjack game with it. My mom liked it but at 4 years old I didn't know wtf blackjack was.

I also remember my little girlfriend down the road had an Atari 2600 with Pacman! I was to little to realize how terrible it was.

Pixelcade1

Postby Pixelcade1 » September 25th, 2010, 4:00 pm

Coleco baby Coleco!

ReiDemon

Postby ReiDemon » September 25th, 2010, 6:27 pm

GameCube.

Wow, you guys make me feel so young. ._.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 25th, 2010, 6:34 pm

Atari 2600, which got thrown in the garbage - by accident!  When I was moving out of my parents house in the mid-90's I was cleaning out my room and throwing all the stuff I wanted to get rid of in black garbage bags.  Unfortunately, I had also stored my Atari stuff in a black garbage bag, so it went out with the trash. 

Thank goodness for Ebay, which allowed me to reconstitute my collection years later.

N64Dude1

Postby N64Dude1 » September 25th, 2010, 6:36 pm

I WANTED a Game Boy Color,and an Advance,and a Cube,and a Dreamcast and yes a 64! But NO! Video games were wastes of time that rotted kids brains out. That's what my parents thought

My parents were so adamant about keeping that stuff out of the house,that it wasn't until I saved up all my good money and got on hands and knees to beg that I could wrap up the Nintendo DS for Christmas.

oldschoogamer

Postby oldschoogamer » September 25th, 2010, 8:29 pm

Guess I'm not really as oldschool as you guys.  My first console was a NES near the end of its lifespan.

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » September 25th, 2010, 9:11 pm

I've mentioned this here a few times (This thread topic has popped up occasionally if anyone wants to do a search and see what more people had to say), but my first console was a Coleco Gemini (A 2600 clone) as a Christmas gift.

I guess it was used since I didn't get any if the games known to have been a pack in at various times when I recieved the console (Donkey Kong, Mouse Trap, and Carnival), but I remember getting Phoenix and Solar Fox that first Christmas and maybe a couple of other games. I don't remember really appreciating Phoenix until later on, but I fell immediately in love with Solar Fox and have been addicted ever since.

[QUOTE=ReiDemon]GameCube.

Wow, you guys make me feel so young. ._.

[/QUOTE]
You make me feel real old.

Return to “Classic Gaming”