360 Exclusives vs. PS3 Exclusives

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
MythicRobDog1

Postby MythicRobDog1 » October 20th, 2010, 4:15 pm

First off, I must say that both of these next-gen systems have a terrific line up 1st and 3rd party game titles. I own both systems and have been very pleased with the selection available. But which game system do you think offers the superior game selection? The 360 with the Halo series, Alan Wake, Mass Effect 1 & 2, GoW, Splinter Cell Conviction, Raiden and many others; or the PS3 with top titles such as Little Big Planet, Killzone, Uncharted, Metal Gear Solid 4, Resistance 1 & 2 and many others.

Personally, the 360 lineup has brought me the most joy over the years, but I think a lot of people will be turned to the PS3 But it's no doubt that each game system has immense bragging rights- especially when compared with the Wii (but I still freaking love the Mario games).

snakeboy1

Postby snakeboy1 » October 20th, 2010, 7:36 pm

[QUOTE=MythicRobDog]Personally, the 360 lineup has brought me the most joy over the years, but I think a lot of people will be turned to the PS3 But it's no doubt that each game system has immense bragging rights- especially when compared with the Wii (but I still freaking love the Mario games).
[/QUOTE]

Since you already brought the Wii into the topic even though it isn't a part of the thread title, don't be upset if this thread turns into Wii Supporters vs. Wii Haters. Just sayin'.

Anyway, I don't have an Xbox, but I will say that I bought my PS3 because games like Motorstorm, Uncharted, Little Big Planet, God of War, and Gran Turismo interested me much more than the games on the Xbox. But if we ARE bringing the Wii into the topic, then I prefer the Wii exclusives over the exclusives for the PS3.

Roperious1

Postby Roperious1 » October 20th, 2010, 8:00 pm

I own all three systems. The only one I bought at launch was the Wii. Unfortunately there wasn't enough on that console for me so I only own about 15 games for it total and rarely touch it now. 

Between the PS3 and the 360 I prefer to play my titles on the PS3, mainly because of the controller and the online experience (most of my friends own the PS3).

In terms of exclusives, I would have to lean towards the PS3. I'm not really a huge Halo fan and although Gears of War 1 + 2 are great titles, they didn't make an impression like Uncharted 1 + 2 did. Also, Metal Gear Solid 4 is pure gaming joy. The storyline in Heavenly Sword and God of War 3 were great and they were fun games to play! 

I really like Left for Dead 1 + 2, however i've had much more fun playing Killzone 2 (I played it enough to get the top 1% trophy!) and Resistance 1 + 2 online. 

I really enjoyed Motorstorm 1 + 2. The Forza series is entertaining, it is difficult to compare it to the over the top experiences found in Motorstorm, I think it'll be fair to compare Forza and Project G to Grand Turismo 5 (when it finally comes out!).

Something that might be contentious was that I really enjoyed inFamous more than Crackdown (or Crackdown two). There was something about the feel of inFamous that drew me in, it was like Assassins Creed with super-powers!

Finally some other games that I enjoyed were Little Big Planet (though the girlfriend makes me play it more than i'd like!), Ratchet and Clank Tools of Destruction and Ratchet and Clank a Crack in time. Love them. The only younger style game I have for the 360 is Viva Pinata which has lost it's charm over the years. Oh, and I LOVE to HATE Demons Souls. Tough as nails but you can't beat the atmosphere. Amazing!

Luke

Postby Luke » October 22nd, 2010, 6:59 am

Other than light-gun shooters, there's no way the Wii has better exclusives than the PS3 and/or 360 in any genre...

[U]Racing:[/U]
PS3/360 - Gran Turismo, Forza, Need For Speed: Shift, Motorstorm, Dirt, Pure, Fuel, Burnout, Project Gotham Racing, Ridge Racer, Blur, Split Second, Sega Rally Revo, Hydro Thunder Hurricane
Wii - Excite Truck, Excitebots, Mario Kart Wii, Need For Speed: Nitro

[U]First-Person Shooters:[/U]
PS3/360 - Halo, Killzone, Bioshock, Call of Duty 2, Resistance, Borderlands, Left 4 Dead, Portal, Team Fortress, Perfect Dark, Turok, King Kong, Prey, Condemned, Frontlines: Fuel of War, Section 8, Call of Juarez, Medal of Honor, Battlefield: Bad Company
Wii - The Conduit, Metroid Prime, Goldeneye, Red Steel, Medal of Honor Heroes

[U]Third-Person Shooters:[/U]
PS3/360 - Resident Evil 5, Gears of War, GRAW, SOCOM, Mass Effect, Lost Planet, Dead Space, Terminator: Salavation, Transformers: War For Cybertron, Vanquish
Wii - Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition

[U]Fighting:[/U]
PS3/360 - Street Fighter IV, SSF2THDRemix, Street Fighter vs Tekken, Tekken, Virtua Fighter, Blaz Blue, Soul Calibur IV, Dead or Alive, DEF Jam: Icon, Battle Fantasia, Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe, Mortal Kombat (2011), King of Fighter XII, Marvel vs Capcom
Wii - Super Smash Bros, TMNT: Smash Up, Guilty Gear XX Accent Core, Mortal Kombat Armageddon, King of Fighters Collection, Tatsunoko vs Capcom

[U]Sports:[/U]
PS3/360 - NHL, NHL 3-on-3 Arcade, MLB: The Show, Sports Champions, Kinect Sports, Hot Shots Golf, Tecmo Bowl Throwback, NBA Street Homecourt, Blitz: The League, Skate, Amped, Fight Night
Wii - NHL Slapshot, Wii Sports, Wii Fit, EA Sports Active, Mario Strikers, Mario Super Sluggers, Super Swing Golf, SSX Blur, We Ski, Punch-Out!

[U]3D Action-Adventure/Platformers/Action RPG's:[/U]
PS3/360 - God of War, Uncharted, Grand Theft Auto, Mafia II, Red Dead Redemption, inFamous, Batman: Arkham Asylum, Assassin's Creed, Prince of Persia (2008), Ninja Gaiden, Alan Wake, Darksiders, Ratchet & Clank, Banjo-Kazooie, Demon's Souls, Demon Age, Heavenly Sword, Bayonetta, Dante's Inferno, Castlevania: LoS, Enslaved, Devil May Cry, Metal Gear Solid, Splinter Cell, Elder Scrolls Oblivion, Fallout, Final Fantasy XIII
Wii - Mario Galaxy, Legend of Zelda, Metroid: Other M, Monster Hunter Tri, Cursed Mountain, Sonic and the Secret Rings, Klonoa

[U]Shmups:[/U]
PS3/360 - Raiden, Deathsmiles, Ikaruga, Radiant Silvergun, Triggerheart Exelica, Mushihimi-Futari, ESPGaluda II, 1942: Joint Strike, Aegis Wing, Prismatic Solid, Everyday Shooter, Soldner-X, Shoot1up, Raystorm HD, Bangai-O HD, Rez HD, R-Type Dimensions, Guwange, Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 1 & 2, 3D Infinity
Wii - Gradius Rebirth, Star Soldier R, Sin and Punishment, Geometry Wars Galaxies

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » October 22nd, 2010, 9:54 am

Interesting question.

At this point I'd probably agree that the PS3 has the stronger first party line up. 

However, I can't say that I've really played very many of them.  I just can't get used to the PS3 controller.  It's like a pat your head, rub your tummy approach compared to the sublime beauty of the 360 controller.

I've got both systems and immediately gravitate towards reaching for the 360 controller every single time.  I've got a number of the triple A PS3 titles and other than a very brief, short stint at trying them, back to the 360 I go.

Weird, huh?

I agree the 1st party line up is better, but I still don't want to play them.  I'm much happier grabbing the 360 controller and quickly firing up a game.  The load times are lots better, Net Flix is there, along with last.FM. 

Come to think of it, the same could be said for the Wii...Every time I think I want to try the Wii, I have to replace the batteries, sync the controller or some other odd combination; hence, back to the trusty 360

Steve1

Postby Steve1 » October 22nd, 2010, 12:44 pm

I always find the discussions about exclusives interesting because it seems like many people forget exclusives of old and mostly focus on the new or high-profile stuff. While that is not necessarily the case in this string, I think it is something to be considered. It's just so easy to forget the games that don't have the high-profiles of Halo or Uncharted.

Look at Earth Defense Force 2017 for Xbox 360. The review here on this site was an A- and yet most people are not even aware of this exclusive (I'm guessing).

Also, I think downloaded games should be considered - especially if the person has online (Limbo, Super Meat Boy and many others come to mind). And yes, I know Super Meat Boy is not a Xbox 360 exclusive but it is when compared to PS3.

I don't have a PS3 so I can't make a fair comment otherwise.

Lucky is the person who can afford all three systems!

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » October 22nd, 2010, 2:12 pm

Scratch that.  I read the intial post wrong.  I thought you were talking about 1st party exclusives.  In that case I'd give the nod to the PS3.  But for just games as a whole, the nod easily goes to the 360.  Between the Indi line up, Xbox Live Arcade, and great 3rd party exclusives, it's an easy call for me to go with the 360.

As for the Wii...lots of good games, but I just don't want to deal with the hassle.  Maybe I just need to invest in some rechargable packs and a remote holder so the controllers are always charged.

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » October 23rd, 2010, 1:57 am

2d Platforming

Actually, the PS3 is doing pretty well in 2d style platforming with Little Big Planet, both hd consoles have Rocket Knight, and all three consoles are blessed with Megaman 9/10 and Sonic 4.
Of course, these games are not exclusive to the PS3/360, since one could find them on the Wii. The hd versions offer an extra feature though, as they provide achievements/trophies (Megaman 9 on PS3 doesn't have the trophy system, it got released before the trophy system implementation), if you care about that type of thing, as more and more gamers do this day.

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » October 23rd, 2010, 5:51 pm

I don't pretend to know that much about the Wii library but you don't know that much about the 360/PS3 libraries either Steer.  A few awesome 2D platformers you missed off your list on these machines:

Prince of Persia Classic
Splosion Man
Shadow Complex
Limbo
Braid
Trine
Bionic Commando Rearmed
Lode Runner Remake
Exit 1 and 2

Psuedo-platformers:
Trials HD

There's more but these are the only ones I've played myself.

Luke

Postby Luke » October 23rd, 2010, 7:58 pm

Ya know, Steer... E.T. on the 2600 sold 1.5 million copies and was considered one of the Atari 2600's best-selling games of all-time.

But was it a good game?

Return to “Modern Gaming”