Appeals to women icon

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Appeals to women icon

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 31st, 2010, 6:36 pm

I was thinking about how certain games seem to appeal to women more than others.  Some examples are Centipede, Tetris, and The Sims.

I was thinking that I could have a new icon for this category.  Maybe it could be shaped like a Ladies room symbol.  That might be funny.

Anyway, I'd like to know if you think this is a good idea, and what games would be good candidates.

N64Dude1

Appeals to women icon

Postby N64Dude1 » October 31st, 2010, 7:55 pm

I'm suprised what video games women will enjoy over others.

Seriously I know more girls,even the girliest that were crazier over Uncharted,Naruto, Super Mario,Super Smash Bros.,Chrono Trigger and even Halo than over such games mentioned.

On the other hand I do still know some girls that do fall into such stereotypes such as The Sims,Myst,Nintendogs,Zoo Tycoon,Pokemon,and those mentioned above.

But in all honesty I don't know any girl who got hooked on Tetris,most I know got bored quickly.

At the end of the day they do are gamers who have a variety of opinions,just like casual gamers won't always just get Wii Sports,even they can enjoy Halo.

ajsmart1

Appeals to women icon

Postby ajsmart1 » October 31st, 2010, 8:50 pm

I've spent a lot of time playing these games with women:
New Super Mario Wii
Burnout 3
Champions of Norrath
Little Big Planet
X-men legends
Gauntlet
centipede
pac-man

So I'm not too sure what would merit such an icon.  On the other hand, every single woman I know plays bejeweled.

a1

Appeals to women icon

Postby a1 » October 31st, 2010, 9:32 pm

My fiancee plays Halo 3, and pretty much any other shooter. Sorry, but I think this icon sounds dumb.

JesusSaves

Appeals to women icon

Postby JesusSaves » November 1st, 2010, 7:34 am

[QUOTE=a]Sorry, but I think this icon sounds dumb.
[/QUOTE]

All women will have different opinions as to what games they like. To stereotype like that doesn't seem to be a good idea.

Jake

Appeals to women icon

Postby Jake » November 1st, 2010, 10:23 am

Well, I know a few games girls like to play,
The icon should be called (popular with women) as most female gamers enjoy a variety of games already.

Frogger, (any frog game like Frog Bog, Frogs n Flies)
Bubble Bobble, NES
Yars Revenge, Atari 2600
Ms Pac-man/Pac-man
Turtles, Odyssey 2

J Dubs

Appeals to women icon

Postby J Dubs » November 1st, 2010, 12:23 pm

My female co-worker states she has the internet in her apartment solely for XBox Live, and talks about how Bioshock is one of her favorite games.

Honestly, it would only perpetuate the stereotype that women are only into certain games. I'm a social worker, so this may just be my professional values coming out, but I think it is sexist to even consider this.

However, I understand the point you are trying to make. Perhaps a more suitable way of approaching this is "Appeals to non-gamers" or something of that sort.

a1

Appeals to women icon

Postby a1 » November 1st, 2010, 1:04 pm

[QUOTE=JesusSaves][QUOTE=a]Sorry, but I think this icon sounds dumb.
[/QUOTE]

All women will have different opinions as to what games they like. To stereotype like that doesn't seem to be a good idea.
[/QUOTE]

Exactly what I think.

steer

Appeals to women icon

Postby steer » November 1st, 2010, 1:16 pm

Women like to play Yars Revenge?

Unless this icon is stereotypical, I do not see the point of it.

Luke

Appeals to women icon

Postby Luke » November 1st, 2010, 2:09 pm

I think it's a bad idea. To me, what you're suggesting could almost be an equivalent to saying something like.. "well, this game has a lot of food in it so it might appeal to fat kids," or "this game contains rap music so it should automatically appeal to the black community."

Also, as others have already pointed out.. women's tastes in video games tend to be almost as varied as men's. I've met a lot of girls who were into fighting and racing games. So I don't think it would be fair to try to put women into a box and say that certain games which contain things like female characters and "cutesy little animal stuff" are the only types of games that may primarily appeal to them. Not just because it might seem subjective and/or sexist to do so. But mainly because I think it would be just a flat-out mistake.

Return to “Video Games General”