Appeals to women icon

General and high profile video game topics.
JWK1

Appeals to women icon

Postby JWK1 » November 2nd, 2010, 6:47 pm

Wow... I had no idea this crowd was so PC.  Folks here MUST admit that gaming is kind of a guy's club.  A great example would be the following: any ladies on this forum??  *crickets*  I didn't think so.  As such, it's perfectly acceptable to have the icon and for VG makers to create games that specifically target women.  Just as Hollywood occasionally creates a romantic comedy that tries to appeal to men.  Unless you're ultra sensitive, I think it's a very appropriate.  Everything on Pop Cap's website should have the icon (Plants v. Zombies, Big Money, Super Collapse, Bejeweled).  Also, Namco created Ms Pacman to appeal to women.  As the first game to do so, it should be the first game to recieve this prestigious icon.  Thumbs up from JWK for the idea, critic.

Roperious1

Appeals to women icon

Postby Roperious1 » November 2nd, 2010, 8:04 pm

Listen, as "bad" as it may sound. Typically girls don't enjoy video games, at least not like us guys do. The same could be said for other pastimes; however. 

That being said, my girlfriend MAKES me play Little Big Planet. She will hardly touch anything else when it comes to games!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Appeals to women icon

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 2nd, 2010, 8:48 pm

First of all, anyone who thinks women have the same taste in games as guys are living in a dreamworld.

Second, you guys are taking this way too seriously.  Remember, this is coming from the person who brought you the "may contain cheese" icon.

I surveyed a few of the women in my life and they thought it was a terrific idea, and not sexist at all.  Actually, they even offered some suggestions.

The icon will be called "Chicks dig this!" and hopefully someone will provide me with a nice ladies room symbol I can use.

ReiDemon

Appeals to women icon

Postby ReiDemon » November 2nd, 2010, 10:06 pm

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic]The icon will be called "Chicks dig this!" and hopefully someone will provide me with a nice ladies room symbol I can use.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I like this more.

0-Storm

Appeals to women icon

Postby 0-Storm » November 3rd, 2010, 12:32 am

I think Centipede should be the "grandfather" or "standard" for this idea. I don't know why, but chicks love Centipede. You'd think they'd dig Ms. Pac Man more, but Centipede is where it's at. I also agree w/ Bubble Bobble & The Sims.

Jake

Appeals to women icon

Postby Jake » November 3rd, 2010, 4:11 pm

[QUOTE=steer]Women like to play Yars Revenge?

Unless this icon is stereotypical, I do not see the point of it.
[/QUOTE]

Back in the day, this game tested well with women, a ladies game if you will.
I read about it online I think.

a1

Appeals to women icon

Postby a1 » November 3rd, 2010, 6:09 pm

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic]First of all, anyone who thinks women have the same taste in games as guys are living in a dreamworld.

[/QUOTE]

Well maybe not all women, but I play Gears and Halo with my fiancee. I don't consider it sexist; I just don't agree with that assertion at all.

MappyMousePD

Appeals to women icon

Postby MappyMousePD » November 3rd, 2010, 6:55 pm

When someone says a game appeals to women, most of the time what they really mean is that it appeals to those who aren't very interested in gaming (some people use terms like "casual" or "non-gamer" to describe these people).   Of course, women are far more likely to fall into this category.  It's a mistake, though, to assume there's something about the game that appeals to one gender in particular as opposed to appealing to non-gamers of both sexes.  By categorizing it as a "chick game," it might have the effect of scaring people away from a game that actually has a more broad appeal.

Mahou Honey

Appeals to women icon

Postby Mahou Honey » November 3rd, 2010, 7:02 pm

I'm gonna stop lurking for this thread.

Are gamer girls really such a rare species?  As a woman, I can honestly say that I don't think it's so easy to say there are certain games we like (or all my gal friends are sickos, since we all love anything Silent Hill and would rather shoot ourselves than play something like The Sims).   A lot of games that girls should like, being less violent or whatever, my friends and I find to be completely overrated and dull. And, for the most part, the gals that don't play video games could really care less what game it is unless it was a party game.

Maybe I'm thinking into this too much....I don't know

And yes, women do like to play Yar's Revenge (at least this one does)

snakeboy1

Appeals to women icon

Postby snakeboy1 » November 3rd, 2010, 10:24 pm

I think this icon is a good idea. Like others I don't know any women personally who are into video games as much as me, but yeah, I do know they exist. But let's face it, men in general play video games more than women do. I think most of the men here have wives and girlfriends who aren't that into gaming. My girlfriend will play Mario and Guitar Hero but not much else. So this icon would be helpful for many of us guys here looking for a game that our significant others would enjoy playing with us. I never even realized that women liked Centipede, so it's already been helpful. It's one of my favorite games. Maybe I'll break it out next time the GF is over.

Return to “Video Games General”