Ultimate spider man

The readers post their own reviews.
sega saturn x

Ultimate spider man

Postby sega saturn x » June 15th, 2006, 6:13 pm

Ultimate spider man (Activision) B-

Ultimate spider man is easily the best 3-d spider game yet released but it manages to fall into just about every pothole it’s predecessors did. You have the entirely to long chase sequences which have plagued the franchise since the jump to 3-d and the fact the games story mode can be completed in under 6 hours if that long. The biggest improvement has been a graphical one, Queens looks great in it’s sharply defined comic book hues and I personally wouldn’t have it other way. Yes one things for sure Ultimate spider man has style to spare, however I really didn’t care for some of the ultimate re-designs. Shocker looks completely pedestrian now and the green goblin got turned into the hulk, lame.

The other big addition was making Venom a playable character, which does help diversify the game. But overall fails to really add any sort of longevity to the title. Overall playing as Venom provided a nice combat mixup since spider mans fighting capabilities have actually been toned down (no more special web attacks). While I’m on the combat system, I have to say it feels all to limited. And a roll feature would have helped tremendously. And when other titles like god of war did it so well there is no excuse to not have it. However the chase sequences with Venom are a nightmare, since his jumps can be unwieldy. There’s only two but man that first one’s a doozy. Wolverine of the X-men fame even makes a cameo as the first boss for Venom. But sadly he’s really it, and while dare devil is mentioned he never makes an appearance.

The biggest compliment I can give this game is it feels and looks like spider man should. And the biggest demerit I can give it is due to the terrible chase sequences, has anybody ever liked these? Well apparently the development team really loves them, because they make up no less than half of the games story missions. It isn’t as if they are badly done just frustrating and tedious, so it’s pretty much like reading marvels “mangaverse”, well except for the badly done part those were unreadable.

The last problem I have with the game is it’s entirely to short. But I guess it’s hard to stretch the length when the game is made up completely of chase sequences and boss battles. It’s a lot of fun to look at and it’s still as fun as it ever was to swing though a virtual New York. But the short length and repetitive chase scene stop this from being a top tier title.

JustLikeHeaven1

Ultimate spider man

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » June 15th, 2006, 10:10 pm

Nice review SSX.  I've actually been on the fence about buying this game for a while.  I've watched the price drop over the past few months and it became more and more enticing.  Something about the game made me feel like it would get boring or the missions would be stupid.  Not to say that a B- is a bad score, but I will probably rent it instead of buying it.  By the way which system did you play it on?

On another note...Have you tried Ultimate Spider Man for the DS?  I picked it up for $14.99 and was pleasantly surprised with it.  Its a quality side-scrolling brawler with some simple touch screen features.  I really enjoyed it and if you can find it cheap enough it might be worth investing in it.  I certainly didn't regret buying it.

sega saturn x

Ultimate spider man

Postby sega saturn x » June 15th, 2006, 11:29 pm

[QUOTE=JustLikeHeaven]Nice review SSX.  I've actually been on the fence about buying this game for a while.  I've watched the price drop over the past few months and it became more and more enticing.  Something about the game made me feel like it would get boring or the missions would be stupid.  Not to say that a B- is a bad score, but I will probably rent it instead of buying it.  By the way which system did you play it on?

On another note...Have you tried Ultimate Spider Man for the DS?  I picked it up for $14.99 and was pleasantly surprised with it.  Its a quality side-scrolling brawler with some simple touch screen features.  I really enjoyed it and if you can find it cheap enough it might be worth investing in it.  I certainly didn't regret buying it.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for compliment and the tip on the ds version.  I played it on the cube for the record I play all third party games on the cube.  I simply like the layout of the controller however the muchy shoulder buttons threw me a loop on some of the harder chases.

IronKnux

Ultimate spider man

Postby IronKnux » June 28th, 2006, 11:37 pm

I picked up Ultimate Spiderman for DS today, and it's definitely one of the better Spiderman games out there... the Venom stages on DS are better than the ones in the console versions.

Return to “Reader Reviews”