2011/1/29: Wii: Donkey Kong Country Returns, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Sonic Colors

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
Adamant1

Postby Adamant1 » January 29th, 2011, 7:55 pm

DKC Returns' multiplayer mode seems a lot less polished and thought-out than New Super Mario Bros Wii's. Whereas in NSMBW you can play around, screw with your friends, work together to reach hard-to-get-to areas, etc, in DKCR you're instead required to syncronize your movement to the extreme in order to get anywhere. Whereas NSMBW is fantastic fun in multiplayer, DKCR feels more like a chore.

Orion1

Postby Orion1 » January 29th, 2011, 8:18 pm

Great reviews!

I just beat Epic Yarn last night playing co-op with my wife the entire time.  I 100% agree with the grade.  The graphics make me drool, and the variety in the gameplay is spectacular.  Playing as the tank that blasts the missiles is my favorite part. 

I had a few complaints. The co-op can get messy at times, since you don't walk through each other like on Contra.  I also don't like how falling off the bottom of the screen makes you poop out all your gems.  I wish I had a chance to retrieve a few.  Also, I never got into the part where you decorate the house with all the stuff.

Also, did anyone else think that the game was trying to be as strange as possible?  Me and my wife kept looking at each other saying, "man, this is a strange game."  Usually this reaction happened after we beat a stage and Kirby throws the new item onto the map.

Like I said, I did love the game; it's just easier to describe negative aspects rather than positive aspects.

Oh yeah, it sounds like the Sonic game should get the Return to Glory stamp.

JesusSaves

Postby JesusSaves » January 29th, 2011, 8:48 pm

[QUOTE=oldschoolgamer]In your DKC Returns review, you said that the ground pound was a new feature.  DK could do that in the original game by holding down and Y.  In fact, you were encouraged to do that often because bunches of bannanas were hidden in places and could be unearthed that way.
[/QUOTE]

I had NO IDEA you could do that! In fact, I was so in disbelief at this that I had to go and test it out! It's true!

Migalley

Postby Migalley » January 30th, 2011, 10:00 am

Loved Donkey Kong! I am glad I didn't trade in or throw out my Wii. I rented Kirby and honestly I must be missing something. I thought the game was way too easy and boring. Still, a pretty good game. I am going to try the Sonic game when I can get it cheap.

Hovering Sheep

Postby Hovering Sheep » January 30th, 2011, 1:04 pm

DKCR: You said there are animals (plural) to ride, but Rambi is the only one, unfortunately. But I agree with your grade. I just wish they had included underwater levels like the SNES games had.

soporj1

Postby soporj1 » January 30th, 2011, 1:23 pm

[QUOTE=Hovering Sheep] I just wish they had included underwater levels like the SNES games had.
[/QUOTE]

Really? I hated those levels. Too many cheap deaths.

I liked the music/sound effects though.

porypowerhour

Postby porypowerhour » January 30th, 2011, 2:00 pm

DKCR is a masterpiece, I agree with your review very much. I'd give it a higher grade for the pure fact that the original trilogy helped me get into gaming to begin with. Also, if you're seeking decent Sonic games, I'd check out the Rush games for the DS (2D platformers!) and Sonic 4 for WiiWare (short, but they're doing it right, more episodes to come)

David

Postby David » January 30th, 2011, 2:51 pm

[QUOTE=gleebergloben]my son and i really enjoy playing DKC, but it seems like one of those games that you play for about an hour, then need a break. don't know why.
[/QUOTE]

I experienced the same thing and I'll tell you why I needed a break:  I was so stressed out and mentally exhausted from playing through some of those levels.  Every time I played I could only do one world, which took me about an hour.

steer

Postby steer » January 30th, 2011, 4:21 pm

DK's multiplayer was destined to 'fail' - they could not zoom the camera back ala New Mario Wii  for all of the (many!) stage-triggered events, it just would not work.

So, it is pretty  compromised, but still fun, at least with a kid you can guide them through the tough spots easier. But for two people playing hard, I just don't know.....

Kirbys multi is kind of the same way - gives you more appreciation for how New Mario solved it at least.

gleebergloben1

Postby gleebergloben1 » January 30th, 2011, 6:24 pm

[QUOTE=steer]DK's multiplayer was destined to 'fail' - they could not zoom the camera back ala New Mario Wii  for all of the (many!) stage-triggered events, it just would not work.

So, it is pretty  compromised, but still fun, at least with a kid you can guide them through the tough spots easier.

[/QUOTE]

um, for me it's the other way around. my son helps guide me through the game. but he does have a fourth degree black belt in video gaming, so that would make sense.

also, i finally figured out why i stated i can only play DKC for an hour (as i stated in an earlier post). the game is really, really frustratingly hard. this morning, we were playing one of the factory levels, and it took about 30 lives to complete it.

still, very enjoyable game.

Return to “Review Feedback”