7/4/2006: Neo Geo Pocket: Fatal Fury F Contact, King of Fighters R2

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 4th, 2006, 5:48 pm

It had been almost two years since I updated my Neo Geo Pocket section!
Go ahead and voice your opinion.

J.M. Vargas

Postby J.M. Vargas » July 4th, 2006, 6:03 pm

Wow, NeoGeo Pocket reviews!  Miracles do happen!

I own these two games as well as most of the NGPC's fighting games ('Gal Fighters,' 'Match of the Millennium,' etc.) and I have to commend the programmers for preserving each fighting series' style and technique despite the cart and two-button limitations.  Terry Bogart controls and has moves straight out of the 'Fatal Fury' games I've played on the arcade, SNES and PS1, which is remarkable for a 16-bit portable.  This tight control and characteristics are important because, when it comes to visuals (two-color fighter sprites, simplistic backgrounds) and sound (no voices, MIDI tunes, the NGPC fighting games are virtually indistinguishable from one another (except for standouts like 'Capcom Vs. SNK' and the 100% kwai 'Gal Fighters').  This is why NGPC owners with 'Match of the Millennium' can rest comfortably knowing they're not missing much by not owning the NGPC fighting games of the SNK characters in the roster of 'Millennium.'  Unfortunately every other game in the NGPC's limited line-up of games is one of these aforementioned generic fighting games.

As someone that enjoys 'SF Alpha' and 'Darkstalkers' on the PSP (man, how far we've come in just a few years!) it's hard for me to fire-up the NGPC and play any of its fighting games (except for 'Capcom Vs. SNK') for more than a few minutes.  And since the only other friend I know that owns a NGPC w/link cable lives in Texas and I'm in NYC...

PingvinBlueJeans

Postby PingvinBlueJeans » July 4th, 2006, 6:30 pm

As was mentioned, I agree that these games are definitely nothing to write home about if you have Match of the Millenium. Though they are pretty generic, there's certainly nothing wrong with them and I'm surprised you graded them so low. I'd probably have given them C's...

Anyway, it has been a while and you should definitely review some more NeoGeo Pocket games.

VG-Robot

Postby VG-Robot » July 4th, 2006, 11:41 pm

I already own Match of the Millenium and Cardfighters Clash.

The only games I REALLY want for my NGPC are the Metal Slug Games, Last Blade, and Samurai Shodown.

I must say, though, that if Match of the Millenium gets less than an A, I will...Be horribly suprised.

sega saturn x

Postby sega saturn x » July 5th, 2006, 12:07 am

I'm perplexed by these reviews, you state the controls are good and the graphics work and the game play is fine as well.  So how do they get D's, shouldn't they at least get C's?  I personally enjoyed both of them greatly so I just don't see where you're comming from.

Zenzerotron

Postby Zenzerotron » July 5th, 2006, 12:29 am

VGC........I'm still a hardcore collector and player of NeoGeo Pocket.

I'm somewhat disappointed that you own and reviewed Fatal Fury FC and KOF R-2. These two games, by far, as the worst fighters on NeoGeo Pocket.

Do yourself a huge favor and buy&review The Last Blade and SNK vs Capcom MoTM. These two games are, by far, the best fighting games you can get on NeoGeo Pocket, and both games are jam-packed with extra modes and replay value.

Gal Fighters is the smoothest-running and fastest fighting game on NeoGeo Pocket, but unfortunalty, it lacks in replay value and interesting unlockables, but it's certainly better then Fatal Fury and KOF.

But, like I've harped on you for years........Metal Slug 2nd Mission blows away the first Metal Slug. You think the first Metal Slug is "A" material, just get your hands on Second Mission, it'll blow your mind.

I'm almost tempted to say that Meal Slug Second Mission is THE best-ever game for NeoGeo Pocket, it's in the top-3 for sure.

sega saturn x

Postby sega saturn x » July 5th, 2006, 1:36 am

Does gal fighters have fighters from other franchises or were the created just for that game?

J.M. Vargas

Postby J.M. Vargas » July 5th, 2006, 9:42 am

[QUOTE=sega saturn x]Does gal fighters have fighters from other franchises or were the created just for that game?[/QUOTE]

Check this FAQ: [url]http://db.gamefaqs.com/portable/neopocket/file/snk_gals_fighters_char.txt[/url]

Most (if not all) the characters in 'Gal Fighters' belong to other SNK fighting games (Mai, Leona, etc.).

Return to “Review Feedback”