Super Mario Kart

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
Jon1

Super Mario Kart

Postby Jon1 » March 25th, 2011, 11:39 am

In the review VGC says "Never feels unfair or cheap".
I agree that this is a great game and may even be worthy of the A+ VGC gave it. Having said that, have you ever played it on the 150cc mode?
Opponents lay down shrinking mushrooms right in front of you and sometimes you can't even avoid it. The cart in front of you goes invincible all the time and forces you to lose ground. I have to restart races all the time because of that. In fact, as a fan of racers I have always found this game to be really unfair on 150cc.

oldschoolgamer

Super Mario Kart

Postby oldschoolgamer » March 25th, 2011, 1:34 pm

Considering the fact that the only way to unlock the 150cc class is to come in first in every cup of the 100 cc class including the special cup, I think you're good enough to handle it.

Snesfreak

Super Mario Kart

Postby Snesfreak » March 25th, 2011, 1:55 pm

The critic was right about it being never unfair but cheap?
Well... obviously not but then this was BEFORE the blue shell, then it went cheaper than a sock stuffed with rags especially on 150cc (Mario Kart Wii I'm looking at you!) 

Jon1

Super Mario Kart

Postby Jon1 » March 25th, 2011, 11:28 pm

I know I'm not making any friends by criticizing Mario Kart but c'mon...
I wonder if everyone likes it only because of the 2 player mode. It can get unbearably irritating on 1 player mode with all the possible cheap shots waiting to get the best of you. Also the half screen isn't making things easier. I don't know about everyone else, but I can't stand racers when they ALWAYS catch up no matter what.

Ruudos1

Super Mario Kart

Postby Ruudos1 » March 27th, 2011, 9:49 am

In Super Mario Kart for SNES the drivers does not ALWAYS catch up. If you're driving a perfect race there will be a big gap between you and number second.  That's what make it the best Mario Kart.

oldschoolgamer

Super Mario Kart

Postby oldschoolgamer » March 27th, 2011, 11:06 am

[QUOTE=Jon]I know I'm not making any friends by criticizing Mario Kart but c'mon...
I wonder if everyone likes it only because of the 2 player mode. It can get unbearably irritating on 1 player mode with all the possible cheap shots waiting to get the best of you. Also the half screen isn't making things easier. I don't know about everyone else, but I can't stand racers when they ALWAYS catch up no matter what.
[/QUOTE]

Yet you still played it enough to unlock the 150cc class.

Jake

Super Mario Kart

Postby Jake » March 27th, 2011, 12:03 pm

[QUOTE=Ruudos]

In Super Mario Kart for SNES the drivers does not ALWAYS catch up. If you're driving a perfect race there will be a big gap between you and number second.  That's what make it the best Mario Kart.

[/QUOTE]

I played this game enough times to know you're right, and racers should catch up now and then... that's how they are a challenge. If you have a big lead, they can't catch up though.

T.Mario Kart Guru

Super Mario Kart

Postby T.Mario Kart Guru » April 1st, 2011, 1:28 pm

Take your pick people,lose from

Ridiculous item chances and timing [The original]
Rubber-Band AI that only never catches up if they get hit on screen and if you take the Rainbow Road shortcut- [64]
Constant item  harassment [Double Dash to Present]

The drivers don't catch up so much go back to their original lines

Sorry but only the GameBoy has an honest 150cc where the drivers are actually faster,where there is no catch up,where Blue Shells are ground ridden and come rarely. If you want no extra challenge than what's given,than Super Circuit is the one

Still it's unfair for VGC to be so quick to just mark it off as "not unfair" when it is unfair and then be so critical of the "artifically close" races of 64.Truthfully they all are artifically close save maybe Super Circuit

No he was on the mark,it's poor 64 that needs re-examination

Danzer

Super Mario Kart

Postby Danzer » April 2nd, 2011, 6:09 pm

Yes, Mario Kart for the SNES do not deserve A+. The CPU are simply cheap and that idea of ''CPU ONLY'' Abillites is stupid

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Super Mario Kart

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 2nd, 2011, 8:39 pm

Sounds like I need to take another look at this one.  It's not unusual for me to downgrade a classic game in retrospect.  I'll get it out when a bunch of my friends were over so I can hear some different opinions.

Return to “Review Feedback”