2011/5/3: Xbox 360: Mortal Kombat

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 3rd, 2011, 5:54 pm

This one probably would have gotten an A+ if not for the lack of an instruction manual.  Definitely the best 360 fighter, and one of the best of all time.

BuryMe1

Postby BuryMe1 » May 3rd, 2011, 6:23 pm

Glad you liked it. I can't wait for PSN to come back up so I can play online.

Blueguy93

Postby Blueguy93 » May 3rd, 2011, 7:04 pm

Your review pretty much sold me. I must get this game for my 360!

Pron Bot

Postby Pron Bot » May 3rd, 2011, 9:23 pm

Probably the best surprise for me so far this year.

Fingers dripping ink

Postby Fingers dripping ink » May 3rd, 2011, 11:48 pm

Hit the pause button - there's a list of moves including fatalities for every fighter.

a1

Postby a1 » May 4th, 2011, 1:11 am

Yeah, this sold me. I really want to pick it up at Toys r Us for $30, but I just don't have the money right now.

Luke

Postby Luke » May 4th, 2011, 2:05 am

[QUOTE=Fingers dripping ink]Hit the pause button - there's a list of moves including fatalities for every fighter. [/QUOTE]Yup. Besides this is MK. There's really no need for an instruction manual if you're already familiar with the series anyway. At least I don't think so.

So far I'm really enjoying it. I just discovered a secret fight with Noob Saibot that took me by total surprise. Then I also learned that there are some stages (like the Courtyard) where you can fight at different times - night or day. So that's pretty cool.

The only thing that I don't like is how Liu Kang's "Flying Kick" is mapped to what is essentially the High Punch button now, and his "Low Fireball" is mapped to High Kick. That makes absolutely no sense to me.

Also, Sub-Zero's "Ice Ball/Freeze" is mapped to the High Kick button? Stupid

All the other characters that I've tried so far DO have all their special moves mapped correctly. So I'm kinda left scratching my head how they managed to mess those up.

Zenzerotron

Postby Zenzerotron » May 4th, 2011, 11:44 am

The one thing that concerns me about the entire MK series is that after #3, they just couldn't create new fighters/characters that are memorable/special/interesting. Do any of the new MK characters from the PS2/Xbox-era games stand out to you?? And it's like the creators of MK eventually realized this, and for the past 3 games now, stopped making new characters/fighters completely.

Yes, this new MK is great, but think about it, the creative stagnation is still there. This new MK has a "greatest hits" feeling, rather than the "great new album" feeling.

RedsDead

Postby RedsDead » May 4th, 2011, 6:41 pm

[quote]Do any of the new MK characters from the PS2/Xbox-era games stand out to you??[/quote]

Frost
Kobra
Ashrah
Havik

Those are the ones I remember.

Orion1

Postby Orion1 » May 4th, 2011, 10:41 pm

[QUOTE=Zenzerotron]The one thing that concerns me about the entire MK series is that after #3, they just couldn't create new fighters/characters that are memorable/special/interesting. Do any of the new MK characters from the PS2/Xbox-era games stand out to you?? And it's like the creators of MK eventually realized this, and for the past 3 games now, stopped making new characters/fighters completely.

Yes, this new MK is great, but think about it, the creative stagnation is still there. This new MK has a "greatest hits" feeling, rather than the "great new album" feeling.

[/QUOTE]

I think you are correct about them running out of character ideas.  However, from what I read they did add a lot of cool, new things (besides characters) to this game. 

This game contains ALL of the characters from the first three games, and for me that's the main draw.

Return to “Review Feedback”