7/14/2006: Dreamcast: Championship Surfer, Gauntlet Legends, Under Defeat (Import)

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

7/14/2006: Dreamcast: Championship Surfer, Gauntlet Legends, Under Defeat (Import)

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 14th, 2006, 4:23 pm

Don't be shy - tell me what you think of these reviews!

Shawn

Postby Shawn » July 14th, 2006, 6:20 pm

Good reviews but I was wondering if you could put up a "how to do the import games thing" somewhere on your site. Thanks again.

JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » July 14th, 2006, 6:29 pm

Dammit Critic...you have me frothing at the mouth for Under Defeat (Ass Beaten...that was priceless) and its quite an expensive import.  If you don't mind me asking where did you buy it? 

Gauntlet Legends is another game I need to track down and Championship Surfing seems decent enough to check out as well.  Thanks to your outstanding reviews I will be spending alot of money in the next few weeks.  Great reviews man...keep em coming. 

I can't wait until you review Gauntlet SS (Xbox).  I've been waiting for you to review that for awhile.  I even held off purchasing it until you reviewed...your reviews are slowly becoming one of the few sources on the net that I trust!

VG-Robot

Postby VG-Robot » July 14th, 2006, 7:30 pm

Ech. Just forget Gauntlet: SS. That game was not so great.

Gauntlet: Dark Legacy, however, is awesome. It's kind of like a bit expansion pack to Gauntlet Legends. (because it kind of was.)
However, it was billed as a sequel. It did add four new characters, as well as a bunch of unlockable ones and secret skins. It also added a solid amount of new worlds to hack your way through, as well as including the old levels.

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » July 15th, 2006, 6:29 am

I just noticed there was no review for Gauntlet Legends for PSone. Gauntlet was always a no.1 favorite coin-op of it's time (it lost something at home though with unlimited free play... I agree the "different" NES version was better for home play), but anyway I recall G:L was the LAST (*sniff*) game I ever played in a big arcade, 95 miles from here, in early 2000. I LOVED it, despite the fact I did not like 3D games...when it came out for psone my then-girlfreind made it a point to buy it for me..I was ecstatic right up to the opening scene from the coin-op of the troll guys coming at you...but THEN I was like, "ECH! What the H$#@! happened to THIS!?" The Psone version is VERY choppy and slow and looks like mud. Control was awful and the game was as fun as solitare russian roulette. I have never owned a Dreamcast (though I DID test one, once...) so I was wondering if this was really a lot better, I know the DC is more powerful than PS1...

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 15th, 2006, 9:48 am

[QUOTE=Shawn]

Good reviews but I was wondering if you could put up a "how to do the import games thing" somewhere on your site. Thanks again.

[/QUOTE]

I will try to do something like that.  For Under Defeat I used my DC-X disk which I purchased at Lik-Sang.com for about $14.

Dave

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 15th, 2006, 9:52 am

[QUOTE=JustLikeHeaven]

I can't wait until you review Gauntlet SS (Xbox).  I've been waiting for you to review that for awhile.  I even held off purchasing it until you reviewed...your reviews are slowly becoming one of the few sources on the net that I trust!
[/QUOTE]

As long as your expecting a Gauntlet-style game, SS (Gauntlet Seven Sorrow, Xbox) is not bad at all.  Some reviewers have judged it in terms of an RPG, which is wrong.  I'll try to post my review soon.

Shawn

Postby Shawn » July 15th, 2006, 11:29 am

Critic,

Thanks for the info. I am going to take the plunge and get Under Defeat and some other imports. The Dreamcast is still alive after all!

CaliWolf00

Postby CaliWolf00 » July 15th, 2006, 6:40 pm

Shawn, you can just download the cdx demo Dreamcast boot disc. It's legal and free. Also, Under Defeat can be purchased on playasia.com, liksang.com, etc. Shmups are usually expensive. Especially ones like Under Defeat that came out this year.

Tourian

Postby Tourian » July 15th, 2006, 8:14 pm

So what's better, Zero Gunner 2 or Under Defeat?  These are the two dreamcast import shmups that I've heard are great but never played.

Return to “Review Feedback”