The Gamecube is the most underrated console ever!

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Blueguy93

Postby Blueguy93 » June 18th, 2011, 7:32 pm

I recently pulled out my Gamecube from the dusty shelves and played the hell out of it! Having owned one for nine years, I can say the great memories and nostalgia are back! Playing F-Zero GX, Viewtiful Joe, Wario World, Luigi's Mansion, and Chamber of Secrets is so much fun! The N64 is my favorite console, but the Gamecube is also one of my most treasured consoles.

It's also the most underrated console ever. Seriously, it sold like 22 million copies, compared to the N64's 34 million copies. It's a shame, because the Gamecube was truly a fantastic console with some great games. The little CD's are awesome to collect, and most recently, I got Need For Speed Underground 2 on the Gamecube, which is an excellent racing game! It's almost as good as the PS2, and in my opinion is better than the original Xbox (which I also love) because it has more exclusives!

Your thoughts, forum?

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » June 18th, 2011, 7:48 pm

I think a very good argument could be made for the GameCube.

I'd nominate the Atari 7800 as a very underrated console. It had some amazing arcade conversions of the some of the best coinops ever produced during the golden age of arcade gaming, excellent looks (It's one of the nicest looking consoles ever produced), and had very good backwards compatibility with one of the greatest gaming consoles ever produced.

JWK1

Postby JWK1 » June 18th, 2011, 8:59 pm

You make a good case.  I'd also like to acclaim the GCN's graphics.  Many of the titles used cel-shaded graphics that pretty much ensure that it's library will age slower than the XBox and PS2.  Lots of great games on the system and I feel like I've only scratched the surface.  F Zero GX is definitely my favorite of the series.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 18th, 2011, 10:23 pm

Hate to rain on the parade, but what did the GameCube have that Xbox didn't? 

I'm sure someone will throw out a few exclusive titles, but I think those can be offset by the Xbox exclusives.

Blueguy93

Postby Blueguy93 » June 18th, 2011, 10:46 pm

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic]Hate to rain on the parade, but what did the GameCube have that Xbox didn't? 

I'm sure someone will throw out a few exclusive titles, but I think those can be offset by the Xbox exclusives.

[/QUOTE]

Okay, okay, okay, the Xbox was also underrated too. You got me, critic

0-Storm

Postby 0-Storm » June 19th, 2011, 12:11 am

The best part about Gamecube is the Gameboy Player. With it you can play all your Gameboy Advance & Color games on your big screen using a Gamecube controller. Beat that Sony!

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » June 19th, 2011, 1:20 am

The Xbox seemed to get a lot more attention from American gamers than the GameCube did, with the Cube always seeming to be in a distant 3rd place. Heck, the Xbox even managed to outsell it by a few million in worldwide sales despite being a non factor in some critical territories like Japan and being replaced before the GCN was.

That's why I'd argue that it was more overlooked than the Xbox. Outside of Japan, it was in a distant 3rd place in the marketplace, despite having just as many nice exclusives as the Xbox and healthy 3rd party support up until the system started to wind down around 2004/2005 or so.

[QUOTE=JWK]You make a good case.  I'd also like to acclaim the GCN's graphics.  Many of the titles used cel-shaded graphics that pretty much ensure that it's library will age slower than the XBox and PS2.  Lots of great games on the system and I feel like I've only scratched the surface.  F Zero GX is definitely my favorite of the series.[/QUOTE]

Where are all these cell shaded games?

I can think of just a handful. And beyond Wind Waker, they were all multiplatform.

JWK1

Postby JWK1 » June 19th, 2011, 9:38 am

I'm not saying that most of the games on the gamecube were cel-shaded, but many were.  And many were exclusives, like Bomberman Generations, some Naruto games, Tales of Symphonia, Wind Waker, Killer 7 (I think that was on PS2, also), Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, and Mega Man: Network Transmission.  I'm sure there were others.

I guess what I mean is while the Xbox and PS2 were pushing for the most realistic, lifelike graphics they could get out of 128 bits, Nintendo continued using its cartoonish style for many of its high profile games like Luigi's Mansion, Super Mario Sunshine, etc.  I'm just speaking from experience on the specific games that I own and have played for all three systems.  There are games that looked amazing for their time on PS2 like Devil May Cry that haven't aged too well.  I don't think many high profile Gamecube games have suffered the same fate.

Hardcore_Sadism1

Postby Hardcore_Sadism1 » June 19th, 2011, 10:22 am

The SEGA Saturn had a harder life than the Gamecube really, and is much better than it lead itself on. If only a homebrew team could develop upon the Saturn.

Luke

Postby Luke » June 19th, 2011, 3:17 pm

Well, the Dreamcast only sold about half of what the Gamecube and Xbox did. So my vote goes to the Dreamcast. 

Return to “Classic Gaming”