Frog Bog INTV

The readers post their own reviews.
Stephen

Frog Bog INTV

Postby Stephen » July 31st, 2011, 10:36 pm

Frogs and flies was one of the most fun Atari 2600 games of all time,so I was curious to see how frog bog would do on the intellivision.But when you compare the two,it's obvious that the Atari 2600's frogs and flies is the clear winner.

The first thing you notice is that the graphics are definitely improved.The backround scenery is colorful and rich.The flies are very detailed (unlike the simple "dots" in frogs and flies on the Atari 2600).I would even go as far to call this "intellivsion eye-candy".

Sadly,where this version seems to fail is the most important aspect of a video game,the controls!Unlike the clean,responsive controls of frogs and flies,the controls of frog bog feel stiff and delayed.And it's really difficult to find a comfortable way to hold the intellivsion controller.So that doesn't help matters either!

I must also address the buttons on the keypad.You have three buttons on the bottom,which basically control how high,or how low you jump.But I suggest you don't press them,since flies rarely fly lower.Besides all you ever end up accomplishing is jumping into the freaking water!

But this game is still an intellivision classic,even if frogs and flies is better.

It may not be worth going on eBay and spending 15 dollars,but if you ever see it laying in a goodwill bin for a couple bucks,it's worth it just to have if you want some mild fun.

C-

Stephen

Frog Bog INTV

Postby Stephen » August 1st, 2011, 1:23 am

Hey VGC,what do you think of the review?I always had some problems with frog bog,and obviously frogs and flies is better.If you don't like the review than dont post it to the review pages,but if you do,it would be nice,ive always liked your page.

Alienblue

Frog Bog INTV

Postby Alienblue » August 1st, 2011, 1:39 pm

Uh........control problems?

Let the INTV control the distance and height and tounge. Its like the AUTOFIRE mode on astrosmash and saves wear and tear on your digits. Just press left and right to move.

The graphics are FAR superior to the 2600. I love nature and this game is like visiting a real pond. Its GORGEOUS down to the sunset.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Frog Bog INTV

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 1st, 2011, 5:05 pm

[QUOTE=Stephen]

Hey VGC,what do you think of the review?I always had some problems with frog bog,and obviously frogs and flies is better.If you don't like the review than dont post it to the review pages,but if you do,it would be nice,ive always liked your page.

[/QUOTE]

Pretty decent review!  Sounds like you had the same experience as me with the game.  As far as getting this posted, it's pretty tough because other people need to vouch for it, and there's a lot of competition when you consider I'm looking at reviews from the last five years.

Stephen

Frog Bog INTV

Postby Stephen » August 1st, 2011, 5:09 pm

Don't sweat in Dave,I totally understand,you need other peoples feedback to see what they think,because most people who go to your main page don't know about this one,so It's alright if you dont post it

Adamant1

Frog Bog INTV

Postby Adamant1 » August 1st, 2011, 7:34 pm

I'll vouch for it. Both this and Stephen's other reviews are both well-written and concise, and he definitely seem to know his classics.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Frog Bog INTV

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 5th, 2011, 4:11 pm

I like the substance of the review, but the format could use a little more polish - like adding spaces after the punctuation.

Stephen - if you revise the review post it at the end of this thread and I will consider using it.

Jake

Frog Bog INTV

Postby Jake » August 6th, 2011, 5:11 pm

[QUOTE=Alienblue]Uh........control problems?

Let the INTV control the distance and height and tounge. Its like the AUTOFIRE mode on astrosmash and saves wear and tear on your digits. Just press left and right to move.

The graphics are FAR superior to the 2600. I love nature and this game is like visiting a real pond. Its GORGEOUS down to the sunset.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed!, Frog Bog looks good.

I don't see the controls bein an issue with Frog Bog (as much as been said), it might be worse then Frog 'n Flies, in terms of "control comfort" but it's basically the same game. I like 'em both around the same. B+ B- type of difference, if any.

Stepheno

Frog Bog INTV

Postby Stepheno » August 6th, 2011, 11:28 pm

Frogs and flies was one of the most fun Atari 2600 games of all time,so I was curious to see how frog bog would do on the intellivision. But when you compare the two,it's obvious that the Atari 2600's frogs and flies is the clear winner.

The first thing you notice is that the graphics are definitely improved. The backround scenery is colorful and rich. The flies are very detailed (unlike the simple "dots" in frogs and flies on the Atari 2600). I would even go as far to call this "intellivsion eye-candy".

Sadly,where this version seems to fail is the most important aspect of a video game,the controls! Unlike the clean,responsive controls of frogs and flies,the controls of frog bog feel stiff and delayed. And it's really difficult to find a comfortable way to hold the intellivsion controller. So that doesn't help matters either!

I must also address the buttons on the keypad. You have three buttons on the bottom,which basically control how high,or how low you jump. But I suggest you don't press them,since flies rarely fly lower. Besides all you ever end up accomplishing is jumping into the freaking water!

But this game is still an intellivision classic,even if frogs and flies is better.

It may not be worth going on eBay and spending 15 dollars,but if you ever see it laying in a goodwill bin for a couple bucks,it's worth it just to have if you want some mild fun.

If you've never played frogs and flies on the Atari 2600,bump up the grade by one letter.

C-

Stephen

Frog Bog INTV

Postby Stephen » August 6th, 2011, 11:41 pm

Sorry Critic,I mispelled my name there

Return to “Reader Reviews”