Space War (Atari 2600 VCS)

The readers post their own reviews.
Stephen

Postby Stephen » August 1st, 2011, 1:50 am

Space War on the Atari 2600 is an example of a game that's bad for all of the wrong reasons!This could have been a real winner but they just had to mess it up!

Space War is based on an early computer game made at a university made by a Student named Steve.This game started the baby steps of the video game industry.

This Atari 2600 conversion is a good game crippled by terrible flaws!First off,the controls are way too sensitive and your ship moves at the speed of light,sometimes I find myself pulling back on the controller hoping to slow down and I end up getting as far as a dog chasing it's tail!

And why is the back round GREEN? Come on,I know this is an early Atari 2600 game,but couldn't they at least make the back round BLACK,and possibly add some white dots to represent stars?

There are several variations,but only one that I know of resembles the original game.The variation I played when I was younger and first got the game was a variation where you could go through the edges of the screen and shoot.The other variations include the star in the center with a gravitational pole (AKA the original space war) There's another variation where the star RELOADS your ammo (that's a nice example for the astronauts right?).

The only thing preventing this from getting an F is that its mildly entertaining with a Friend,and the fact that this was in the baby years of the 2600.

Its not worth buying on eBay,but if you find it at the goodwill for 50 cents (even that is an outrageous price for this terrible game)you should pick it up just for the nostalgic value.

D-

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » August 1st, 2011, 1:22 pm

I agree Space War sucks. The "Space Sun" is supposed to be a "Space Station" or "module" in certain variations. The one player game has you docking with the SQUARE as many times as possible.

In the end this is Asteroids without the Asteroids and UFOs.......as boring as boring can be bore ing.

The BACK ROUND (Hey I do the Puns here!) is black on my cart. It turns green only to prevent screen burn in. Asteroids turns green too. Most Atari carts change colours like that.

Return to “Reader Reviews”