Donkey Kong Junior Atari 2600 VCS

The readers post their own reviews.
Stephen

Postby Stephen » August 2nd, 2011, 2:33 pm

I remember getting this game on my birthday in late 1983.Donkey Kong on the Atari 2600 was somewhat disappointing,but mildly fun.I opened the box,popped it in,and looked at the gorgeous water.I haven't seen water effects this good on the 2600 since sword quest WATER WORLD!

Anyway,I hit reset,heard the rendition of the opening,and I discovered something that makes this game get the grade it does.The controls are awful.Just one faint tap on the stick is enough to send you too far to the right.And another problem is how much it lacks compared to the arcade game!

The fruits are gone,a major disappointment.They could been ONE COLOR for all I care,I just think the fruits were great.And the stages lack too.In level one,the fruits,and one of the vines is missing.In level 2,4 keys are missing (not to mention the fruit).And in level 3 we have the enemies from level one instead of the sparks.

But its still a decent port,even for it's flaws.

Bump up the grade by one letter if you've never played another port.

C-

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » August 3rd, 2011, 1:54 pm

This was an abitious failure.

Trying to cram THREE screens in is no good if all three are awful. The "snapjaws" look like staples and the birds look like lint. Junior looks like a big brown beetle.

If they had stuck to TWO screens they could have included the fruit and more keys. A C is too much for this. A solid F!

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » August 3rd, 2011, 4:44 pm

I actually always liked this port.

TedE.Bear

Postby TedE.Bear » August 7th, 2011, 8:13 am

I gotta agree, this was a pretty good adaptation.  While ugly as sin, it captured the spirit of the original and was pretty damn challenging too.  I consider it the best Coleco game for the  2600.

TedE.Bear

Postby TedE.Bear » August 7th, 2011, 10:59 am

[QUOTE=TedE.Bear]

I consider it the best Coleco game for the  2600.

[/QUOTE]

Scratch that - Mr. Do! is the best Coleco game for the VCS.  A very well-done port.......I thought Parker Brothers had produced it.

Considering the Coleco offerings for the Atari 2600, it really isn't saying a lot.  But DK Jr. is pretty decent.

Jake

Postby Jake » August 7th, 2011, 2:44 pm

An F is way too low for this, reconsider Alien.

I'd say C- or D+ well, for me anyhoo. I have C- written down in my notebook.

It's ugly, but still playable and has all 3 levels!

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » August 8th, 2011, 11:28 pm

I think Coleco is a bit underrated on the 2600. I'd say Time Pilot was their best game (I'm surprised the Critic didn't enjoy it more), with much of the rest of the library still being fun to play.

Even the often hated port of Zaxxon has some fans (The Critic gave it a pretty generous C-, for instance, and I've seen several others that have enjoyed it, at least somewhat, over the years).

Return to “Reader Reviews”