2011/8/5: Atari 2600: Pitfall, Pitfall II: Lost Caverns, River Raid II

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
Jake

Postby Jake » August 7th, 2011, 2:38 pm

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic]I find it hilarious how nobody can figure out what the animal on the first screen is.  For the longest time I thought it was a monkey.  Then I read that is was a cat.  And now I see somebody thought it was a dog.

I was really torn between giving Pitfall 2 an A or A-.  I think what pushed me to an A- was the fact that even if you flew under the condor at his highest point, his wing move down and hit you in the head.  It was almost a random thing.
[/QUOTE]

It's a cat,?! ohh.. get this Dave, I thought it was a Rat or Kangaroo!
That's what I wrote on my tip sheet. Had no idea what the heck it was, LOL!

I think the A- grade is fine.

TedE.Bear

Postby TedE.Bear » August 7th, 2011, 5:50 pm

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic]

I was really torn between giving Pitfall 2 an A or A-.  I think what pushed me to an A- was the fact that even if you flew under the condor at his highest point, his wing move down and hit you in the head.  It was almost a random thing. 

What do you think?  Should I give Pitfall 2 an A?

[/QUOTE]

I do not believe it's a random thing - it's a rhythm thing.  This untimed game gives you the opportunity to get your timing down pat on each level with those condors.  You can run towards it and retreat when you figure out it's flight pattern and where the "sweet spot" occurs to run under.

Not counting homebrews, there are only a handful of VCS games that made it appear to be a sophisticated gaming machine.  Pitfall II knocked it out of the park in 1984 and remains an elite example of how the 2600 kicked ass.  I think it is an A+.....will settle for an A......and am mildly upset at the recent downgrade to an A-.

It's your world, Boss.......

Dennis

Postby Dennis » August 7th, 2011, 6:37 pm

Anyone who watched the old Pitfall cartoon knows the animal is a cat!  

DJC1

Postby DJC1 » August 8th, 2011, 12:05 am

I don't know... take a look at the much more graphically capable C64 version (which I also play regularly).  If the manual says it's a cat then a cat it is.

Still looks like Scooby-doo to me :-)

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 8th, 2011, 10:08 am

Wow that C64 version looks pretty sweet!  Calling the C64 Critic!

Is the Atari XE version that detailed?

Jake

Postby Jake » August 8th, 2011, 3:47 pm

[QUOTE=TedE.Bear]

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic]

What do you think?  Should I give Pitfall 2 an A?

[/QUOTE]

Not counting homebrews, there are only a handful of VCS games that made it appear to be a sophisticated gaming machine.  Pitfall II knocked it out of the park in 1984 and remains an elite example of how the 2600 kicked ass.  I think it is an A+.....will settle for an A......and am mildly upset at the recent downgrade to an A-.

It's your world, Boss.......
[/QUOTE]

Considering the year 1984, it's not too shocking that Pitfall II is so well done... HERO is also made really well, and many games for 2600 pushed the limits as years pass, like Midnight Magic, Pac-Man Jr, or Solaris. Amazing graphics, sound and controls.

Also since Pitfall was awesome for 1982, then the sequal 2 years later also made by Crane... should be right up there in terms of ass kickin' quality.

I thought the reason Pitfall II was going to be an A- minus, was the overall fun factor of the game, that the Critic questioned, with so many birds to nearly get hit by, too often.

I don't see the appeal of part II being considered better then I "in terms of fun", because there's no vines or pitfalls to jump over or any risk of losing in the game,... mostly part II is timing, running, waiting and once you figure the map, the timing in moving under or over birds/bats/frogs becomes easier... the replay value goes down. 

Pitfall II is one of the rare games that almost everyone loves, but I sold mine and don't care if I ever play it again.

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » August 8th, 2011, 3:58 pm

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic]Wow that C64 version looks pretty sweet!  Calling the C64 Critic!

Is the Atari XE version that detailed?[/QUOTE]

The Atari 8 bit version looks pretty detailed, but it's nothing like the C64 version. And it's also the same game as the 5200 version, which you've reviewed.

There was also a Colecovision version, but they were lazy and it basically looks like the 2600 game.

DanZero1

Postby DanZero1 » August 8th, 2011, 5:07 pm

Thank you for the Activision re-reviews. As revolutionary, groundbreaking and advanced Pitfall 1 & 2 were, I could never get into them for long periods of time.

River Raid II introduced a lot of new features, and I loved the takeoffs and landings. Graphics took a little bit of a hit, but retains the fun of the first.

Caféman

Postby Caféman » August 9th, 2011, 3:53 pm

"your goal is to find your niece Rhonda, the Raj diamond, and Quickclaw the cat .." from the manual.  what type of cat it doesn't say but not a house pet type.

I think on the cartoon he was a mountain lion.

The Mad Blogger

Postby The Mad Blogger » October 25th, 2011, 7:17 pm

First of all, The Mad Blogger thinks that the Video Game Critic's reviews make a lot of sense. If a see a review for a game on the Wii, I'll definitely consider renting it. I may not agree with every review, but I can see where he is coming from. Great job on the reviews.

I think people who do not feel Pitfall is a great game should realize that this game pioneered the side scrolling effort. Before Pitfall, this simply was not possible in video games. I think both Pitfall and Pitfall II deserve As, with perhaps a higher score going to Pitfall II because it took adventuring to a whole different level on the Atari 2600 (no pun intended).

I respectfully disagree with the review for River Raid II. I think the game is atrocious and practically unplayable. River Raid was so much better.

Return to “Review Feedback”