Gex (3DO)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Potts

Gex (3DO)

Postby Potts » August 15th, 2011, 2:12 pm

And pissed off! I played this game for about four freaking hours yesterday, beating most of cemetery, toon world, and jungle world levels. I take a break, turn off my 3DO, come back later and I am back to where I started the previous day at the beginning of the first level.

The instruction manual tried to explain the pathetic save system of Gex. It says "beat the boss of the level to save". I beat the bosses in both cemetery land and toon land (at least I thought I did) but my game never saved! The other way is to find some damn video tape, but I've looked everywhere.

I lost alot of hard work getting to where I was. Someone please explain how to save the game? And how do you know your game is saved? Do you get any kind of message saying "GAME SAVED", so I dont need to worry about turning off my 3DO and loosing everything?

JWK1

Gex (3DO)

Postby JWK1 » August 15th, 2011, 5:26 pm

How ironic.  I'm looking for this on PS1.  I know the 3DO has the superior version, but a PS1 is all I've got.  That sucks about the save feature (or lack thereof).  Besides that, how's the game?

Potts

Gex (3DO)

Postby Potts » August 15th, 2011, 7:31 pm

[QUOTE=JWK]

How ironic.  I'm looking for this on PS1.  I know the 3DO has the superior version, but a PS1 is all I've got.  That sucks about the save feature (or lack thereof).  Besides that, how's the game?

[/QUOTE]

It's a really good game so far. That's why I'm so mad, because the "save feature problem" may actually steer me away from it, if I cant beat it without ever turning it off (or figuring out how to save).

The graphics are very nice, with even some 3D rotating and scaling during boss fights. The music is catchy and blends in great with the levels, however I feel that Gex's voice and quips seem out of place (I have never even hear of Dana Gould).

The gameplay is awesome, the control are very crisp and responsive.The challenge is there too, some levels can be a little frustrating, but not "pull your hair out and throw the controller" frustrating. I died alot, but its easy to get 1ups and keep trying the levels. Sticking to the walls, and climbing alongside the walls is a big part of the game and as Dave put it "adds a new dimension".

The gameplay is addictive, and the environments are refreshing. It's overall an awesome game, I would give it an 'A' if not for the major flaw of the saving system.

DrCruse1

Gex (3DO)

Postby DrCruse1 » August 16th, 2011, 9:07 am

It's highly possible that your 3DO is simply out of space to save any data, so when you beat the bosses the game couldn't save. That's not a problem with the game, it's a problem with the 3DO.

JustLikeHeaven1

Gex (3DO)

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » August 16th, 2011, 9:29 am

[QUOTE=DrCruse]It's highly possible that your 3DO is simply out of space to save any data, so when you beat the bosses the game couldn't save. That's not a problem with the game, it's a problem with the 3DO.
[/QUOTE]

This is exactly what I was thinking.  The real crappy thing is that in order to manage your saves I believe you need to own one of the 3DO sampler disks or something.

I haven't played Gex in a very long time, but I do remember having to find a videotape to save...thats all I remember though.  I would imagine that if you found the tape and attempted to save it would let you know if you were out of memory or not.

Also kudos for playing all the 3DO games.  I love that system...its probably my favorite out of all the "failure" systems of yesteryear.  It certainly doesn't get much love on these forums.

Potts

Gex (3DO)

Postby Potts » August 16th, 2011, 11:56 am

[QUOTE=DrCruse]It's highly possible that your 3DO is simply out of space to save any data, so when you beat the bosses the game couldn't save. That's not a problem with the game, it's a problem with the 3DO.
[/QUOTE]

No, I don't think that's it. Because it HAS saved, and that's where I'm at. I've beaten most of Cemetery and I'm at the save spot there. And plus, I dont even think I'm out of space. I recently deleted Slam and Jam file which was like 15,000 blocks or something like that. I manage my save data with Wing Commander III.

[QUOTE=JustLikeHeaven]
Also kudos for playing all the 3DO games.  I love that system...its probably my favorite out of all the "failure" systems of yesteryear.  It certainly doesn't get much love on these forums.
[/QUOTE]

Yep, I think it's a highly underrated system, and to be honest I think Critic has been a bit harsh on the system on this site, so I'm trying to give a "another view" on some of these games.

Stepheno

Gex (3DO)

Postby Stepheno » August 18th, 2011, 3:01 pm

saturn port is the best,you get passwords much easier and can find password on the web

Potts

Gex (3DO)

Postby Potts » August 19th, 2011, 12:21 pm

I need to update here...

I may have exaggerated the mystery of the "saving VHS tape of Gex". I picked Gex up and played it again, getting to the subsequent levels, and I have been able to find the VHS tapes....now that I am looking for them.

I think what happened at first is I just assumed it would save after boss battles because the manual said so. The video tapes arent hard to find as long as you know you need to look for them in order to save. Sometimes you need to look everywhere, but they exist, and they saved my game.

That being said, I love this game, its so much fun...I'm at Kung Fu ville. I hope this game is long, because I don't want it to end. But when it does, I can easily predict I will play it through again because the replay value is high.

I gotta get back to work...

gilly

Gex (3DO)

Postby gilly » August 19th, 2011, 7:39 pm

Love this game on the Saturn. I'm curious as to how it compares to the 3DO one.
I don't remember ever having save issues with the Saturn port, but I haven't played it in a while.

Return to “Now Playing”