TAPPER/2600

The readers post their own reviews.
Alienblue

TAPPER/2600

Postby Alienblue » August 20th, 2011, 1:22 pm

TAPPER/ 2600 / A+++++

I really never cared much for the Tapper arcade game, but I had to write this review to say how IMPRESSIVE this 2600 cart was back in the day...... especially considering its by SEGA, maker of huge piles of 2600 crap like BUCK ROGERs, TAC SCAN, and SUB SCAN (anyone looking for SUB SCAN, let me know, maybe we can trade.....its awful but fairly rare).

TAPPER is much better then the coin-op in my opinion precisely for the reason the Critic had a problem......you can only toss two root beers (or beer or coke or mountain dew, WHATEVAH) at a time, saving your sanity. On the coin-op having to serve three drinks at once PER TABLE while rescuing glasses, getting tips and moving up and down was just too much to handle.

The 2600 cart looses the cute between wave animations, tips and some details but it looks like a freakin' Atari 5200 game!!!!!!! Seriously I've seen 5200/XE games less detailed than this. FOUR WAVES, DANCING GIRLS, HIGH RES GRAPHICS, and the first product placement in a 2600 game, MOUNTAIN DEW, make this jaw-droppingly fanslamdamwamtastic! The controls are perfect to me.....up n' down (wasn't that another Sega dog?) and toss glasses, that's it. MUCH better thean the coin-ops confusing set-up.

Again, in the coin-op, WHO WAS this Mario guy who starred in Domino Man and Timber as well?

This is the only Great Sega 2600 game, and to me is the best version. SERVICE WITH A SMILE DUDES!

Leo1

TAPPER/2600

Postby Leo1 » August 20th, 2011, 5:38 pm

Nice review, I always thought they did a good job with this port.

Out of curiousity, how come you didn't care for Tac/Scan? I thought the 2600 effort was pretty well done. Nice graphics and audio, it kept about as much of the arcade experience as anyone could've expected on the 2600, it used the paddle to good effect I thought (Although, as I recall, you have to have the paddles plugged into controller port 2, which I never understood), and provides for a decent challenge.

I always liked it and never quite understood why quite a few 2600 gamers didn't care for it.

TedE.Bear

TAPPER/2600

Postby TedE.Bear » August 24th, 2011, 8:42 am

I whole-heartedly agree with you - Tapper is a great game for the VCS. 

One thing about Sega games for the 2600 - Spyhunter is solid gold too.

Star Trek, Congo Bongo and Buck Rogers were solid turds, to be sure.

Jake

TAPPER/2600

Postby Jake » September 13th, 2011, 11:12 pm

Agreed Agreed...

Tapper is one fine piece of game for Atari 2600.

Even the bonus stage is great.

Segas music is damn annoying most of times, but it gets by with variety in the game Tapper.

Return to “Reader Reviews”