Quake III Revolution - PlayStation 2

The readers post their own reviews.
Skinr

Postby Skinr » September 4th, 2011, 2:36 pm

I was originally going to get the Dreamcast version of Quake III Arena because of its keyboard and mouse support, but I'm glad I got this instead. The new "campaign" mode is little more than isolated matches with rudimentary stat-building, but the gameplay is still great. The minor autoaim (similar to that seen in Serious Sam) solved the biggest problem I had with the PC version: the difficulty of hitting targets despite having the precision of a mouse. This version also has multitap support to bring the maximum human players to 4, but also allows for bots of varied skill. Anyone who's played Quake at all knows multiplayer is one of the big draws, and Revolution/Arena is no exception. My only real gripe with this game is the butt-ugly graphics. They somehow look worse than the Dreamcast version a year prior; maybe I'm comparing it too much to games like God of War, but nevermind.

Score: 7.5

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » September 4th, 2011, 2:50 pm

It's funny how I get "deja vu" feels sometimes, I could
swear I read the exact same impressions some time ago
on these boards. The text was almost identical too, down
to the parts when you refer to the PS2 and PC versions.
Maybe I'm a mutant who can actually read future threads
in his sleep, but I doubt it.

Skinr

Postby Skinr » September 4th, 2011, 5:23 pm

I did originally post this review on my Webs site, and maybe on Gamespot. If you've been there as long as I have, then you may have seen it there (it's unlikely you've seen my personal site).

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » September 4th, 2011, 10:07 pm

[QUOTE=Skinr]I did originally post this review on my Webs site, and maybe on Gamespot. If you've been there as long as I have, then you may have seen it there (it's unlikely you've seen my personal site).
[/QUOTE]

You posted it here back in May.

http://dmrozek.websitetoolbox.com/post?id=5233762&highlight=quake

Skinr

Postby Skinr » September 5th, 2011, 12:03 am

Whoops. I didn't even realize it.
...Is that against the rules? If so, I'm sorry.

Luke

Postby Luke » September 5th, 2011, 1:20 am

I'm surprised you didn't mention the horrible load times on the PS2 version.

What IS nice about the PS2 version though is the dual analog controls. I love the Dreamcast version but the single joystick control is a little difficult to go back to after I've grown so used to modern shooters. I mean, I can do it. But it's difficult. It's like I have to re-wire my brain or something.

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » September 5th, 2011, 2:36 am

[QUOTE=Skinr]Whoops. I didn't even realize it.
...Is that against the rules? If so, I'm sorry.
[/QUOTE]

I think we can let it slide.

Has anyone played the XBLA version of Quake III? Seems as if it was updated and released on XBLA, or at the very least planned or still in the works.

Skinr

Postby Skinr » September 5th, 2011, 8:05 pm

[QUOTE=Leo]

Has anyone played the XBLA version of Quake III? Seems as if it was updated and released on XBLA, or at the very least planned or still in the works.
[/QUOTE]

It was, as "Quake Arena Arcade." Personally, I say stick with Quake Live; it's just as fun (practically the same game) and it's free.

[QUOTE=Luke]I'm surprised you didn't mention the horrible load times on the PS2 version.

What IS nice about the PS2 version though is the dual analog controls. I love the Dreamcast version but the single joystick control is a little difficult to go back to after I've grown so used to modern shooters. I mean, I can do it. But it's difficult. It's like I have to re-wire my brain or something. [/QUOTE]

I didn't find the load times to be that bad, actually. The controls I agree with; the main reason for the Dreamcast version is its support for a keyboard and mouse, which gives PC players an edge.

Return to “Reader Reviews”