AMIDAR / 2600

The readers post their own reviews.
Alienblue

AMIDAR / 2600

Postby Alienblue » August 31st, 2011, 2:05 pm

AMIDAR / 2600 / D+

The year is 1982. I just got my Atari 2600......I had five games so far, including Parker Bros. FROGGER, which was OUTSTANDING by 2600 standards.

I saw a comic book ad for this weird game AMIDAR.......it was a DRAWING game and I have always been and artist. Plus it had Gorrilas,pigs and paintrollers. And it was by Parker Bros......it MUST be GREAT, after all they did Frogger. I could not find Amidar anywhere though.....i finally played the coin-op and loved it. Enclose boxes with your ape/paint roller, watch them fill with colours. It was a funny PAC MAN. Then I saw a cereal box promotion that offered AMIDAR, SKY SKIPPER or REACTOR for $4.99 and three boxtops. WHAT? Why so cheap?

I'll tell you why......they butchered this game, even for the 2600. The objects looked nothing like real things.....the ape was a yellow M , the pigs were pink boxes, the paint roller was an S shape. And WHY WAS IT SO DAMNED SLOW? Blip..................blip............blip......! MOVE DAMN YOU! It was tedious to play. By the way, on the second level you can turn the pigs into chickens......that was not even in the coin-op. In the coin-op the pigs changed COLOURS, not SHAPE! CHICKENS? This game might be the earliest indication of programmers on CRACK guys!

SIGH........still and all, its the only decent DRAWING game for the 2600, so it gets a D+ by default. The only other two drawers are SURROUND and TAPEWORM which are primitive. Amidar is like getting three marshmallows in a bowl of lucky charms........ITS BETTER THEN NOTHING I guess. I'll stick to Pepper2 on Colecovision. Hmmmmm.......i wonder if QIX is even POSSIBLE on the 2600? Unlike a picture of a wishing well, this is not WELL DRAWN.

JustLikeHeaven1

AMIDAR / 2600

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » August 31st, 2011, 2:49 pm

Awesome review AB!  You had me laughing throughout.  I've never played this game, but it doesn't sound good.  For some reason I can imagine a person playing this game on their 2600 and shouting obscenities at the TV screen.

Your review made me check to see if the VGC had reviewed this one.  He has and The Critic gave it an ever so slightly higher C-.  Sounds like this one is a real stinker! 

Adamant1

AMIDAR / 2600

Postby Adamant1 » September 1st, 2011, 1:06 am

JustLikeHeaven, if you haven't played it, make sure to give the original arcade game a try. Fantastic game.

I was 2nd on the leaderboard on the Xbox 360 Game Room release at one point, but that was back when only 50 people or so owned it, so it's less impressive than it sounds.

PacFan

AMIDAR / 2600

Postby PacFan » September 6th, 2011, 11:54 am

Great review AlienBlue. Your reviews are brutal but honest, hope to see more.

Astrosmasher1

AMIDAR / 2600

Postby Astrosmasher1 » September 10th, 2011, 2:54 pm

I must say I loved this game back in the day.  Arcade style graphics for 82.  I was amazed when I played this one it was great! For me a C plus....

Jake

AMIDAR / 2600

Postby Jake » September 16th, 2011, 9:42 pm

[QUOTE=Astrosmasher]I must say I loved this game back in the day.  Arcade style graphics for 82.  I was amazed when I played this one it was great! For me a C plus....[/QUOTE]

I think I'd give it a C also, it's pretty fun and just could use a lot better graphics and sound. The gameplay is not bad...though! I really liked it when I first played Amidar over 10 yrs ago. Not 28 years ago like Astrosmasher had but anyway...

I like this better then Sky Skipper I think.

I'd like to read some 2600 reviews by Astrosmasher, if he can or has the games to.

Astrosmasher1

AMIDAR / 2600

Postby Astrosmasher1 » September 19th, 2011, 8:34 am

Okay Jake I will review some games....

Return to “Reader Reviews”