Sony's No-Sue Clause

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Sony's No-Sue Clause

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 19th, 2011, 4:23 pm

One thing I hate about gaming on-line is how you're sometimes asked to agree to a page (more like 20) of lawyer-ese.  For all you know, you're signing your life away.

Well, according to this article Sony is using these legal agreements to weasel out of responsibility when their network goes to hell and your personal data is exposed.

Comments?

James McCloud

Sony's No-Sue Clause

Postby James McCloud » September 19th, 2011, 4:29 pm

That's ridiculous.

Why am I not surprised?

Hardcore_Sadism1

Sony's No-Sue Clause

Postby Hardcore_Sadism1 » September 19th, 2011, 5:28 pm

This has more than a lot to do with the Apple and Samsung drama, doesn't it? I think Sony is trying to avoid some litigious hole that seems to propagate those two.

DrCruse1

Sony's No-Sue Clause

Postby DrCruse1 » September 19th, 2011, 8:41 pm

Well, you can't blame them. It's good business.

oldschoolgamer

Sony's No-Sue Clause

Postby oldschoolgamer » September 20th, 2011, 12:28 am

[QUOTE=DrCruse]Well, you can't blame them. It's good business.
[/QUOTE]

It's good business to steamroll the customer?

feilong801

Sony's No-Sue Clause

Postby feilong801 » September 20th, 2011, 12:52 am

These sorts of EULAS aren't really enforceable by law. It would get thrown out of any court, I'm quite certain.

DrCruse1

Sony's No-Sue Clause

Postby DrCruse1 » September 20th, 2011, 6:22 am

[QUOTE=oldschoolgamer][QUOTE=DrCruse]Well, you can't blame them. It's good business.
[/QUOTE]

It's good business to steamroll the customer?
[/QUOTE]

No, but it's not good business to dump cherry syrup on a customer's head either. I don't see how that's relevant. No one is being steam rolled here.

ActRaiser1

Sony's No-Sue Clause

Postby ActRaiser1 » September 20th, 2011, 8:27 am

[QUOTE=feilong80]These sorts of EULAS aren't really enforceable by law. It would get thrown out of any court, I'm quite certain.
[/QUOTE]

Agreed.  My wife is a lawyer.  Whenever we have to sign a statement to limit liability my wife reads it over extremely carefully and then goes "This isn't enforceable, so I'll sign, whatever".  It's kind of funny unless there's a line behind us waiting to sign the same darn thing.  Usually, this comes up when renting a canoe or kayak or something similar.

JustLikeHeaven1

Sony's No-Sue Clause

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » September 20th, 2011, 10:07 am

[QUOTE=ActRaiser][QUOTE=feilong80]These sorts of EULAS aren't really enforceable by law. It would get thrown out of any court, I'm quite certain.
[/QUOTE]

Agreed.  My wife is a lawyer.  Whenever we have to sign a statement to limit liability my wife reads it over extremely carefully and then goes "This isn't enforceable, so I'll sign, whatever".  It's kind of funny unless there's a line behind us waiting to sign the same darn thing.  Usually, this comes up when renting a canoe or kayak or something similar.
[/QUOTE]

I was just going to add this as well..I'm glad someone else beat me to it.  These things look/sound worse than they really are.  People on the interwebs are making a bigger deal out of this than they should.

Greisha1

Sony's No-Sue Clause

Postby Greisha1 » September 20th, 2011, 12:32 pm

[QUOTE=JustLikeHeaven][QUOTE=ActRaiser][QUOTE=feilong80]These sorts of EULAS aren't really enforceable by law. It would get thrown out of any court, I'm quite certain.
[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I was just going to add this as well..I'm glad someone else beat me to it.  These things look/sound worse than they really are.  People on the interwebs are making a bigger deal out of this than they should.
[/QUOTE]

Everything's a news article, I guess.

Return to “Modern Gaming”