NBA Jam's Hilarious New Commentary

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Luke

Postby Luke » October 8th, 2011, 8:46 am

I never bought last year's NBA Jam offering due to the exclusion of "tag mode." But I recently purchased NBA Jam: On Fire Edition on XBLA and have been caught off guard and laughing like an idiot over some of the great new commentary by Tim Kitzrow. I think it might actually be some of the best that I've ever heard in an arcade-style game.

Here's just a few of my favorites:

"Not cool, dude! You shot blocked me."
"Oh, I love it when you call me big blocker!"
"Admit it, dude... you were goal tending!"
"Uh, ya gotta pass the ball G!" *After repeated shots/points with the same player*
"I got news for ya bro... not happenin" *After missing the shot at the buzzer*
"This lucky fan is shooting for a new car!" *When throwing up a prayer from the other end of the court*

Any of you guys (and gals) recall any other good ones in these newer Jam games?

Blueguy1

Postby Blueguy1 » October 9th, 2011, 12:30 pm

I have the Wii version (which unfortunately does not come with the DLC), and I agree that the commentary is hilarious (and the game is really, REALLY fun too!). Here are some more quotes I would like to add.

"Uh, yeah I meant to do that!" -After Missing a Dunk

"What in God's green Earth was he thinking?!" -After missing a buzzer beater

"Can someone shut that noisemaker off?" -After someone Goaltends

"No hoop for you!" -After being blocked (sometimes it's "No soup for you," a reference to the classic Seinfeld episode.

"Shanks it for three!"-After airballing a three pointer

JWK1

Postby JWK1 » October 13th, 2011, 8:52 pm

"Since when was goal tending signaled by a WAH-WAH noise?"

After the end of the third quarter:  "And that's the game!!...  What?  Oh, they're telling me that's only the end of the third quarter."

After the end of the third quarter: "And that's the game!!... [long pause]  No it's not; that's four quarters!" [The next quarter starts]  "Well, it looks like we'll be playing FIVE quarters of basketball tonight!"

And the BEST line in the game-- after a shot block  "Get that weak shiitake mushroom out of here!!"

Luke

Postby Luke » October 14th, 2011, 2:39 am

Haha. Here's some more I heard the other night.

"No turkey dinner with that stuffing!"
"An elbow a day keeps the D away!"
"Like my wife's top drawer, nothing but nylon!"
"Like my wife always says.. not tonight!"

lol. It seems that he says at least one new one-liner every time I play against a new team in Road Trip.

I can't wait for DLC. Hopefully they add more NBA Legends and maybe a "Road Trip Remix" mode or some other single-player extras.

Josh

Postby Josh » October 14th, 2011, 10:41 am

Hey Luke,

I had NBA Jam on the Wii. I actually liked it and think I would play in more on the 360 if it on the game menu and all I had to was click on it (I'm getting lazy with discs and all).

What would grade it so far?

Luke

Postby Luke » October 14th, 2011, 1:21 pm

[QUOTE=Josh]Hey Luke, I had NBA Jam on the Wii. I actually liked it and think I would play in more on the 360 if it on the game menu and all I had to was click on it (I'm getting lazy with discs and all). What would grade it so far? [/QUOTE]I would give it a good solid "B." It's definitely the best Jam game I've played since NBA Jam T.E. in the arcades. That may not be saying much, but this is coming from a person who did really enjoy NBA Jam 2004 on the PS2 & oXbox.

The only things that keep it from being an "A" are the lack of customizable controls and few non-unlockable gameplay options.

JWK1

Postby JWK1 » October 15th, 2011, 6:57 pm

Like Luke, I recognize the game is imperfect.  But my wife mentioned yesterday that she hasn't seen me play a game as consistently as I do with NBA Jam ever.  I'm online playing pretty much every day.  I LOVE the game.  Probably my favorite download ever.  I'd bump the grade up to an A-.  I think that's fair.

Return to “Modern Gaming”