Sonic Generations (Xbox 360)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Edward1

Postby Edward1 » November 6th, 2011, 11:48 am

I rented Sonic Generations at a Redbox today.   Without question, this is the greatest Sonic game made since 1994.   I have no clue why it is only getting average reviews, (maybe because its not a cookie cutter FPS)  but its just very good.  It is 9 worlds long, and each world has a 2d level and a 3d level.   Every world is based on a level from a past Sonic game, and they did an excellent job of selecting the best ones.   I don't want to spoil them, but it is a thrill when you play recreations of levels you have fond memories of.  The controls are great for both the 2d and 3d levels.   The levels are nice and long.   For the most part they keep the fluff and filler out.   You spend almost all your time in actually platforming levels.There are required bonus challenges you have to do between each level, but you only have to do one for each world.   They are short and still fun so no big deal.   The story is terrible, but virtually non existence.   99 percent of this game is spent actually playing, which is something other game developers need to notice.  I'm about half way through it, and I cant wait to see what is next.   This game surprised the hell out of me, because I expected it to be terrible, considering Sega's record.  But it is one of the greatest Sonic games so definitely pick it up everyone.   If you buy it, use this link from amazon as the critic will get a small percentage to help pay the bandwidth costs.

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&keywords=All-Pro%20Football%202K8%20&tag=thevideogamec-20&index=videogames&link_code=qs#/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dvideogames&field-keywords=Sonic+Generations&rh=n%3A468642%2Ck%3ASonic+Generations

Luke

Postby Luke » November 6th, 2011, 2:21 pm

[QUOTE=Edward]Every world is based on a level from a past Sonic game [/QUOTE]I think that's what the problem is. It's just another rehash/cash-in by Sega. Everything may look and play slightly new-ish, but you continually get that deja vu feeling that you've been here and done this before.

Michael Prymula

Postby Michael Prymula » November 6th, 2011, 3:37 pm

I watched Gametrailers review for this game, and it looks amazing, i'm definitely going to buy this ASAP!

Jason

Postby Jason » November 6th, 2011, 5:14 pm

Careful - I noticed a precipitous drop off in quality once I got into the second half of the game. The 3D sections, in particular,elicit the very same frustrations that have plagued every Sonic game since Sonic Adventure.

Blueguy1

Postby Blueguy1 » November 7th, 2011, 6:52 pm

[QUOTE=Jason]Careful - I noticed a precipitous drop off in quality once I got into the second half of the game. The 3D sections, in particular,elicit the very same frustrations that have plagued every Sonic game since Sonic Adventure.
[/QUOTE]

BLASPHEMY!!! 

Seriously though, I want this game so much

Edward1

Postby Edward1 » November 9th, 2011, 12:28 am

This game is not just a simple cash in.  Sonic needed a return to basics.   Last years Sonic Colors was really good, but this one has better level design.  Both the 2d and 3d levels are awesome.   I have beaten the game.   Yes later stages are based on some of the terrible later Sonic games such as Sonic unleashed and the 2006 Sonic the Hedgehog.   But strangely, those levels are still very fun to play, probably because of the superior game mechanics of Sonic Generations.    They both have interesting looks to them, too bad they were both originally in terrible games.  I did not notice a drop in quality in the 2nd half of the main levels, I thought all 9 levels were great in both 2d and 3d. In fact the last level which is based on Sonic Colors is fantastic and is over 10 minutes for both the 2d and 3d section.

There was a major drop in quality though after you beat the main levels and had a series of 5 unnecessary boss battles.   They seemed to keep getting worse and worse, until the final boss which was one of the worst and most unintuitive boss battles I have had the misfortune of playing.   It was glitchy as hell, and if it wasn't for the walkthrough I read online, I would have never figured it out.This felt more like the 3d Sonic we all knew and hated.    But the first 80 percent of the game is amazing.   If you quit playing after you beat the main levels (and maybe play the challenge levels also) this is one hell of a game.   I have no clue how the hell those terrible boss battles at the end made the final cut though.

Luke

Postby Luke » November 9th, 2011, 5:25 am

[QUOTE=Edward]This game is not just a simple cash in. Sonic needed a return to basics. [/QUOTE]They already did that - with Sonic 4. This game is almost the exact same game as Sonic 4, except it has improved physics and control.

porypowerhour

Postby porypowerhour » November 9th, 2011, 12:07 pm

^And two years later, we're still not waiting for the second of however many parts.

I preordered the 360 one but then I bought a 3DS and changed my order, so I'll be getting Generations next week C:

Julio III

Postby Julio III » November 9th, 2011, 12:26 pm

Really looking forward to getting this. May wait to around xmas time as Sonic is a great holiday period game. Loved Sonic Unleashed and Sonic 4 so looking forward to this. However, I never really got into Sonic Colours

Michael Prymula

Postby Michael Prymula » November 14th, 2011, 12:24 am

Just got this yesterday, and so far i'm absolutely loving it!  This is by far the best looking Sonic game in the series, the sheer amount of detail is distracting at times, the gameplay is very solid, the switch between classic and modern Sonic feels natural, the challenges are pretty fun, though some are awfully tough(the racing ones take a bit practice to master)I'm still getting used to the new voice cast though, I honestly prefer the 4kids VA's to the newer ones.  So far i'm up to Speed Highway(best level in the game by far), I can't wait to see what's next!

Return to “Now Playing”