Super Mario 3D Land Impressions

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Blueguy1

Postby Blueguy1 » November 13th, 2011, 10:09 am

Well, after going to church today (I'm Catholic if anyone cares), I rode to my local Target to get Super Mario 3D Land on the day it came out! I then got a Barq's Root Beer Float Icee (delicious) and proceeded home.

Then I started the game, and so far it's incredible, as usual. Unlike other 3DS games, the 3D effect is actually required to beat some parts of the game and get all the secrets, and it's awesome. The game is basically a combination of the best of 2D and 3D Mario games, and it's a perfect balance between the two. Your goal is to get to the end of the stage (2D) and the stages are similar to Sonic Adventure, just without the speed. The graphics, music and sound effects are also terrific. Not too far in it yet (2nd world), but a hell of a lot of fun

I'm loving this so far. Critic, you need this game in your 3DS library! It's the best game I've ever played for the system yet!

Prinzenick

Postby Prinzenick » November 13th, 2011, 12:33 pm

Good to see a fellow Jesus lover here!

Anyway, ive considered getting a 3DS in the future, but for now i'm enjoying my newfound love for the Sega Genesis and Sega Nomad! I played Star Fox 64 3D at my local Target, and while it was as good as ever, i'll need to wait for more must have games to come out before i consider buying a 3DS.

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » November 14th, 2011, 12:13 am

[QUOTE=Blueguy]Then I started the game, and so far it's incredible, as usual. Unlike other 3DS games, the 3D effect is actually required to beat some parts of the game and get all the secrets, and it's awesome.[/QUOTE]

You can't fully play the game in 2D mode?

porypowerhour

Postby porypowerhour » November 14th, 2011, 3:23 pm

I'm on World 6 and I have yet to come across a part where the 3D is genuinely needed. But yes, amazing game so far.

Blueguy1

Postby Blueguy1 » November 16th, 2011, 1:40 pm

[QUOTE=Leo]

[QUOTE=Blueguy]Then I started the game, and so far it's incredible, as usual. Unlike other 3DS games, the 3D effect is actually required to beat some parts of the game and get all the secrets, and it's awesome.[/QUOTE]

You can't fully play the game in 2D mode?
[/QUOTE]

Let me rephrase this. I meant that the 3D effect makes certain platforms and obstacles easier to see. It's not required, but it makes it easier to distinguish. That's my bad right there.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 19th, 2011, 12:29 am

This is a winner!  You get the freedom of movement of a 3D title, and the small, manageable stages of a classic 2D game.  Loving it.

Blueguy1

Postby Blueguy1 » November 21st, 2011, 6:06 pm

I smell an A+ Critic! If it is going to be, it deserves it. I've reached secret world 6, and everything I've experienced is awesome (thats what she said)!

There's even a final secret level for getting gold flags in the all the levels, all the star coins, and beat all levels with both Mario and Luigi. I have much to do!

Return to “Now Playing”