Sony Move / House of the Dead Overkill

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 1st, 2011, 1:31 am

I enjoyed House of the Dead Overkill Overkill for the Wii, and I hear there is a new PS3 version out.  I'm curious to play the game in HD, but I hear using a normal controller won't cut it.  It also supports the Move controllers, but from what I've read in Amazon reviews, it seems like the Move isn't very good.  Specially people have been complaining about the cursor "drifting" in certain games, requiring you to re-calibrate the controller.  Anybody know anything about this?

Also, it seems like Move hasn't gotten as much traction as the Kinect.  Is Move on the way out?

Luke

Postby Luke » December 1st, 2011, 3:24 am

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic]it seems like Move hasn't gotten as much traction as the Kinect. Is Move on the way out? [/QUOTE]Based on what Sony said at E3 and in interviews, they are going to keep supporting 3D gaming and PS Move for years to come, because they firmly believe that is the future of gaming (as do I, but maybe to a lesser extent).

Anyway, sales figures have been less than impressive for the Move and its software games. But then... Sony hasn't even really advertised the product all that much. I honestly don't think I've even seen any tv or magazine ads showing off the tech. So how can they expect people to know much about it and get excited when all people see when they look at it is just a Wii knock-off (which it more or less is).

On the other hand, at least PS Move actually has some really great games that its compatible with. Most Kinect games tend to be very childish and lame (again, much like the Wii. lol) with the few odd interesting games here and there - like Child of Eden and Rise of Nightmares. Kinect sales numbers haven't been so hot either. But at least Microsoft actually tries to market the product!

Such a strange generation in gaming it's been, huh?

Fingers dripping ink

Postby Fingers dripping ink » December 1st, 2011, 2:06 pm

The answer is yes, the Move controller leaves a lot to be desired. I played Time Crisis 4 with it; the control rendered the game near unplayable. As a Time Crisis fan since the arcade days, it was a major disappointment. Sports Champions controlled better but still felt floaty. The characters you can play as in the game were awful as well (yeah I know, that has nothing to do with control).

I realize there are some high-profile games available for the Move, but without good control I don't care. And, I own a Wii. Some of the games are trash (duh) but the ones that are good work effectively. Time Crisis 4 is a flagship Move title and it blows.

Luke

Postby Luke » December 1st, 2011, 2:44 pm

[QUOTE=Fingers dripping ink]The answer is yes, the Move controller leaves a lot to be desired. I played Time Crisis 4 with it; the control rendered the game near unplayable. As a Time Crisis fan since the arcade days, it was a major disappointment. Sports Champions controlled better but still felt floaty. The characters you can play as in the game were awful as well (yeah I know, that has nothing to do with control). I realize there are some high-profile games available for the Move, but without good control I don't care. And, I own a Wii. Some of the games are trash (duh) but the ones that are good work effectively. Time Crisis 4 is a flagship Move title and it blows. [/QUOTE]Time Crisis 4 or Time Crisis: Razing Storm - which release are you talking about? Time Crisis 4 is also on the Razing Storm disc but it also has 2 other games that are said to be very playable with the Move controller (except for the occasional need to re-calibrate the controller as the Critic pointed out).

Also, I hear it's best to play the Time Crisis games with the PS Move Sharpshooter because of its handy placement of the Move button. Killzone 3, Socom 4 and Goldeneye 007 Reloaded are said to play very well with the Sharpshooter, as well. But of course, everyone has different opinions.

DrCruse1

Postby DrCruse1 » December 1st, 2011, 3:43 pm

That's strange. I checked Amazon, and the reviews are incredibly positive.

I've heard that it's very good, accurate, and comfortable to use. The only complaint that I've heard before today is that the Camera that is used to track the Move is very tiny and flimsy. From what I've heard, the control problems have to do more with specific games than with the controller itself.

I'm sure it's not on the way out. Sony seems intent on supporting it, and I'm almost positive that it, or a similar controller will be compatible with the "PS4.

I personally don't own one, but I will pick one up as soon as I get a PS3 based on all of the positive things I've heard about it..

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » January 5th, 2012, 6:42 pm

Haven't played it on the Wii but compared to traditional light guns the Move leaves a lot to be desired.  It doesn't pick up orientation really so it's like moving a pointer rather than a gun, which makes the gun peripherals frustrating to use.  Whenever you adjust your position it also completely throws it off.  If the game didn't have crosshairs on the screen it would be unplayable for me.  Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the game still but I just wish I had a normal lightgun setup to play it with.

Julio III

Postby Julio III » January 10th, 2012, 12:28 pm

I feel the same way with light gun games on the Wii. They are really fun, but you are aiming the cursor not pointing and shooting. You can play without - but you have to compensate, spend ages calibrating and sit in the perfect position.

Dawson Dailey

Postby Dawson Dailey » January 19th, 2012, 11:30 pm

I own both the game and a move and I will say this. The move can be difficult to calibrate and at times irritating. Once you get it to work though it works well and this version is an improves an already great game in my opinion (I didn't notice any framerate issues like in the Wii version). But we'll see what the Critic thinks. Have fun.

Return to “Modern Gaming”