7/26/2006: Xbox 360: Dead or Alive 4, Perfect Dark Zero

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
sega saturn x

Postby sega saturn x » July 27th, 2006, 10:26 am

[QUOTE] I am not into fighting games but bought DOA4 and to be honest I was rather bored with it. Maybe it's just me....[/QUOTE]

It's not just you, everyone but horny otaku know those games suck.  Personally I always found the games really underwelming since the saturn/psx days.  And after I beat DOA 2 I had no strong desire to keep playing.  Skipped over the rest, saw no point to punish myself more.

JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » July 27th, 2006, 11:00 am

I think the problem with the fighting game genre as a whole is that the series get stale really quickly.  Usually a development team comes out a one really decent game, improves upon it until perfection in the sequel and then milks it until everyone wishes it would just dissapear.  For example Soul Calibur was a unique fighting game that started off on the PS1 as Soul Blade.  It was unique because of it was a 3D weapon based fighter.  Thats cool...the game gets even better on the dreamcast (some say the series peaked with that game) and now its just getting repetative as all hell.  Does anyone really care about Soul Calibur 4?  Pretty much every fighting game ever follows that formula.  If you want another example look no further than Tekken.  Is there really any need for 5 of these games?  Dead or Alive reached its pinnacle with the second game (which is why they have released several versions of that game) and it will continue to get worse and worse with new installment.

Namco should take a few members off the Soul Calibur and Tekken teams and get to work on a Splatterhouse sequel dammit

sega saturn x

Postby sega saturn x » July 27th, 2006, 2:58 pm

Some franchises have gotten better with each game though, street fighter and mortal kombat come to mind.  Of course MK had to come a looooooooooooooong way to be playable.  Anyone who says they don't want darkstalkers and street fighter 4 is a damned liar.

JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » July 27th, 2006, 3:51 pm

[QUOTE=sega saturn x]

Some franchises have gotten better with each game though, street fighter and mortal kombat come to mind.  Of course MK had to come a looooooooooooooong way to be playable.  Anyone who says they don't want darkstalkers and street fighter 4 is a damned liar.

[/QUOTE]

There are always exceptions to the rule, but I think most people would say that the SF peaked at II. Alpha and III let most people down.  Don't get me wrong 3rd Strike is frickin awesome, but not too many people give it the love it deserves. 

Also I think NightWarrior: Darkstalkers Revenge is the best in that series.  Vampire Savior added some great new characters and features, but alot of people hate the continues life bars in that game.  You are correct though that people would kill for sequels to both of those 2D fighters.

Zenzerotron

Postby Zenzerotron » July 27th, 2006, 9:30 pm

Bluemonkey has said everything I would have said. You know, when I first beat PD0, I was tempted to shelf it. But like Monkey said, there's so many ways to approach the levels, so many different ways to not only complete objectives, but go off on new paths and find different objectives, that the game is high in replay value, you just have to dig and experment a bit with it.

DaO4.........I see the main problem with this game being it's meant to be played online and with friends. The single player experiences is pretty basic, most of the unlockables are new costumes(zzzzzz). Basically, this game's lifespan is built around online playing and multiplayer. Games like the Soul Calibur series give the hermit gamer plenty of things to explore and unlock, but this isn't the case with DaO4. I think if the VGC played online games more, he'd see the true lifespan of this game.

I must also disagree with the VGC's notion that the graphics are next-gen looking. While the fighters themselves look like a high-end Xbox game, the levels/backgrounds are most certainly next-gen.

And on a sidenote, I'll take Street Fighter3:3rd Strike and Street Fighter Alpha 3 over ANY version of SF2 any day of the week.

sega saturn x

Postby sega saturn x » July 27th, 2006, 11:49 pm

[QUOTE=JustLikeHeaven][QUOTE=sega saturn x]

[/QUOTE]

There are always exceptions to the rule, but I think most people would say that the SF peaked at II. Alpha and III let most people down.  Don't get me wrong 3rd Strike is frickin awesome, but not too many people give it the love it deserves. 

Also I think NightWarrior: Darkstalkers Revenge is the best in that series.  Vampire Savior added some great new characters and features, but alot of people hate the continues life bars in that game.  You are correct though that people would kill for sequels to both of those 2D fighters.

[/QUOTE]

True enough, personally I think the street fighter games have gotten better as years gone on.  And third strike really doesn't get the respect ti deserves.  And darkstalkers got lal btu ignored here which is a crying shame.

[QUOTE] I think if the VGC played online games more, he'd see the true lifespan of this game.
 [/QUOTE]

Bah, the games combat system is weak.  I totally agree multiplayer makes a good fighter even better but DOA just sucks the combat system always felt limited and the characters flavorless.

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » July 28th, 2006, 3:18 am

SSX I agree with you I find 3rd strike and the Vampire series the best 2D fighters I have ever played.

If you think the DoA system is simplistic though then you never really learnt to play it.  It is one of the more strategic fighters out there requiring utter mastery of counters and reversals rather than move list memorisation.  I don't play the DoA games myself but my friends do and watching them play is truly a sight to behold.

sega saturn x

Postby sega saturn x » July 28th, 2006, 1:25 pm

[QUOTE=bluemonkey]

SSX I agree with you I find 3rd strike and the Vampire series the best 2D fighters I have ever played.

If you think the DoA system is simplistic though then you never really learnt to play it.  It is one of the more strategic fighters out there requiring utter mastery of counters and reversals rather than move list memorisation.  I don't play the DoA games myself but my friends do and watching them play is truly a sight to behold.

[/QUOTE]

It's a sight to behold because the game is very good looking and the animations flawless.  You can get a decent idea of the reversal system with some real sessions but that doesn't help make the game any more enjoyable to me.  It felt over simplistic to me to have one button do what would be an entire string of moves in any other game.   

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » July 28th, 2006, 5:55 pm

It places the skill in terms of trying to outthink your opponent.  It emphasis strategy over button pressing skills.  Surely making something easy to pull off makes the game more strategic because you spend more time trying to outmanouver the opponent and get under their guard than trying to pull off move combinations. 

sega saturn x

Postby sega saturn x » July 28th, 2006, 9:38 pm

[QUOTE=bluemonkey]

It places the skill in terms of trying to outthink your opponent.  It emphasis strategy over button pressing skills.  Surely making something easy to pull off makes the game more strategic because you spend more time trying to outmanouver the opponent and get under their guard than trying to pull off move combinations. 

[/QUOTE]

To a degree yes, but that doesn't really help the fact the combo system just isn't that interesting.  I've tried hard to get into these games I really have.  I always found the reversals boring to be honest with you, I want my fighting games fast and furious.  A hold over from my capcom loving ways I guess.  It's funny at a local arcade they have a doa 2 cabnet works great, one day I figured what the hell and popped in a quarter.  Played a couple rounds and was suprised that I was actually bored! 

When I ended up there again I was tempted to give it another shot but ended up going a few rounds of sf 2 champion edition instead.  Hell the stick didn't even work well.  And I still had a blast, theres something to be said about playing those games in the arcades no matter how many "perfect" conversions I buy.  The games just aren't for me I guess.

Return to “Review Feedback”