The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (PS3)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
David

Postby David » November 14th, 2011, 4:18 pm

I picked up the game on release and I have to say that this is the best Elder Scrolls game to date.  Character creation and development has been streamlined, which worried me at first, but is actually a huge improvement.  There's much less confusion and a lot more freedom throughout the game.  As usual, there's tons of quests, and they feels a lot less generic than Oblivion's did.  The graphics are much improved, but the animation still needs work.  I haven't run into any real bugs either, although I'm only about 15 hours in.  I feel this is Bethesda's best RPG to date, surpassing Fallout 3. 

effy

Postby effy » November 14th, 2011, 11:02 pm

I played it for about an hour and had fun just wandering around, ducking into random caves and looting bandits.  Already I can tell it's a huge improvement over Oblivion. 

Why did I stop?  I'm waiting for a mod that fixes the UI, because it's baaaad. 

0-Storm

Postby 0-Storm » November 15th, 2011, 11:46 am

How is the collision detection? When enemies are hit do they respond accordingly? Are there visual affects to getting hit (like blood & cutting off limbs)?

Keep us updated. I'm very interested in this game. THANX!

David

Postby David » November 15th, 2011, 5:45 pm

[QUOTE=0-Storm]How is the collision detection? When enemies are hit do they respond accordingly? Are there visual affects to getting hit (like blood & cutting off limbs)?

Keep us updated. I'm very interested in this game. THANX!
[/QUOTE]
No and no.  That's one of the things that they probably should have fixed, being that it was one of the bigger flaws from the last game.  Though it doesn't bother me a whole lot, it's probably the biggest complaint I have, along with the stiff animations.  It's essentially just a refined, upgraded version of Oblivion rather than a complete overhaul. 

I love the new leveling system though.  Each skill (such as restoration, one-handed combat, alchemy, etc.) has a perk tree in addition to the standard numerical value, where you can unlock one perk per level.  It's pretty cool being able to look ahead to the higher level perks and see the skills you'll be able to unlock once you hit a certain skill level.  It makes the game very addicting.  It also has the added benefit of giving you instant gratification for your work.  Unlike before, where going from  a 45 to a 50 in certain skill, let's say destruction magic, really had no meaning, now might allow you a perk where you can improve the damage of your fire-based spells by 25 percent instantly. 

0-Storm

Postby 0-Storm » November 15th, 2011, 11:58 pm

Noooooo!

It may sound petty, but those problems are what eventually got me bored with Oblivion. I love Fallout 3 & New Vegas, cause you actually get the sense that people (monsters) are dying.

After hacking a goblin and not seeing it respond like it was actually getting struck with a sword I got bored.

I'd rather have cheesy 16-bit Mortal Kombat blood and animations then modern graphics that look awesome in pictures, but can't interact.

Here's the one other killer complaint I had about Oblivion: The leveling system. I go into a cave on level 2 & hack some weak Goblins. At level 20 I go back to same cave & have to fight same looking Goblins, but now much tougher. Even though I was higher level, but so were the Goblins. It actually was harder & took more attacks on the same Goblins on level 20 then it did on level 2. wtf?

effy

Postby effy » November 16th, 2011, 9:16 am

If you stick just to melee combat, it might not seem better than Oblivion, but magic is where this game clearly excels over its predecessor.  It's possible now to assign a spell to one hand and a sword to another, or two spells in two hands.  You can't imagine how satisfying it is to destroy a group of Skeletons in an oil-fueled blaze, then pick off the charred stragglers with a giant axe. 

[QUOTE]
I go into a cave on level 2 & hack some weak Goblins. At level 20 I go back to same cave & have to fight same looking Goblins, but now much tougher. Even though I was higher level, but so were the Goblins. It actually was harder & took more attacks on the same Goblins on level 20 then it did on level 2. wtf?[/QUOTE]

The world will still scale to your levels in areas, but now you can enter areas (mainly the more elevated parts of Skyrim) and face enemies higher than your level and get better loot.  It's not perfect, but now there's at least an incentive to explore.  

Ozzybear1

Postby Ozzybear1 » December 11th, 2011, 4:34 am

i just started this game recently, i wanna say im a little under 10 hours into the game, and so far, i agree its the best elder scrolls yet. this game is very impressive and im looking forward to the many hours of playing this game!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 13th, 2011, 7:56 pm

One thing I noticed is that the auto-save only kicks in when you go through a door or something like that.  If you travel really far across the wilderness and suddenly die, you will be set all the way back where you started.

I also hear the PS3 and PC versions of this game are buggy as hell.  Fortunately I have the 360 version which seems pretty stable.

Ozzbear

Postby Ozzbear » December 14th, 2011, 3:39 am

I bought the ps3 version cause i heard the same thing about the 360 version lol, and so far ( knock on wood ) i havent hit any bugs or glitches

David

Postby David » December 14th, 2011, 11:01 am

I put about 40 hours in on the PS3 version and ran into some of the framerate issues that are being reported. Has anyone else who's put in significant hours felt that the quests are all starting to feel the same? I had to put the game down for a bit because everything started to feel like a fetch quest.

Return to “Now Playing”