On the surface, Saints Row the Third looks like it's a faithful sequel to SR2. You still have access to large amounts of weapons in a wide open world and it's relatively easy like it should be. As well, the opening has a hilarious Star Wars style introduction that throws you to immediately into action right away but it goes downhill from there.
- Side missions are a step down from SR2 with no hilarious cut scenes explaining how you ended up doing them. They are almost a complete rehash of SR2 so nothing new and are generally ridiculously easy and quick.
- Main missions are a big step backwards, with most being simple by the numbers missions with a few crazy elements thrown for good measure and the ending just plain sucks, no doubt to make way for downloadable mi$$ions.
- The city is the worst I've seen. It feels dull, lifeless and due to the 'poor planning' is very disorienting. Almost no buildings can be entered unlike SR2's huge Police Station, Airport and Mall and the few that can be (outside of cribs and ownable stores) are a blatant ripoff of GTA games.
- While SR2 is great even with subpar graphics and sound, this game is even worse with numerous glitches and a poor selection of music.
- You can no longer replay old missions, possibly one of SR2's best features. Why was it taken out?
- Main characters act and look completely different than SR2 and no Johnny Gat except for the opening mission!
It appears most of the budget was spent on marketing and buying off reviewers as it looks like a 2006 release. Having been tough on it though I must admit this game gets an A in allowing you to become a God and go absolutely nuts after the story is completed. This does get old quick and it's too bad the rest of the game isn't that good because this had the potential to be a classic. As it stands now it's another in a long line of mediocre GTA clones. Maybe next time!