End of Xbox?

General and high profile video game topics.
Atarifever

Re: End of Xbox?

Postby Atarifever » October 16th, 2017, 7:59 pm

GameOfThrones wrote:
24 of my friends have played MCC.
4 have played Destiny 2. Now that could because they played the first one. Which was disappointing.
It was too ambitious a release. It was put out to quickly but now it works perfectly. MCC that is.

Man, I never had 24 friends at one time in my life. How do you have time to do anything other than constantly upkeep relationships? I've got, like, 8 close friends now, and sometimes I just want to go live on a deserted island I get so tired of all the plans, outings, and routines that go into that. 24 favorable acquaintances and 10 or 15 close co-workers maybe, but 24 friends? Yikes. Good luck with all that.

HawgWyld

Postby HawgWyld » October 16th, 2017, 10:56 pm

Jeepers. I just popped a game into my Wii-U and got to sit through a 10-minute update (Zelda Breath of the Wild). Update mania has simply infested everything...

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » October 17th, 2017, 2:08 am

Alucard1191 wrote:
TheBlondeGamePunk3 wrote:I am not a fanboy nor do I believe consoles are superior but I CAN say that I do believe.. That Microsoft's heart isn't in it anymore and that they should just concentrate on making more Windows for PC's. 8-) 8-)

I want to second this... get rid of Cortana, stop trying to copy Apple, and make a modern windows 98/XP/7 style normal OS that works exceptionally well.

Or switch to a Linux distribution that you like, and customize it however you want, instead of waiting for a greedy company who's overly paranoid about changes to their system to do it for you.

Windows has never been any decent in terms of efficiency. It's just that most consumers don't give a damn.

barrie2101

Postby barrie2101 » October 17th, 2017, 5:20 am

I totally agree with everything loading in its a nightmare on xbox one and ps4 . Drives you insane when you have games that would just play from disc on the 360. But I still think its an excellent machine . The backward compatibility is great the 4 free games a month when you have gold great deal . I don't see the issue of being connected to the internet I have fibre so no issues there everything in my house is always connected to my broadband. Also gears of War 4 Halo forza etc great games. Don't get me wrong id rather have a cartridge just pop in and play but still think its got a great future.

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » October 17th, 2017, 1:18 pm

Robotrek wrote:
Alucard1191 wrote:
TheBlondeGamePunk3 wrote:I am not a fanboy nor do I believe consoles are superior but I CAN say that I do believe.. That Microsoft's heart isn't in it anymore and that they should just concentrate on making more Windows for PC's. 8-) 8-)

I want to second this... get rid of Cortana, stop trying to copy Apple, and make a modern windows 98/XP/7 style normal OS that works exceptionally well.

Or switch to a Linux distribution that you like, and customize it however you want, instead of waiting for a greedy company who's overly paranoid about changes to their system to do it for you.

Windows has never been any decent in terms of efficiency. It's just that most consumers don't give a damn.

I know I am pretty behind on things, but the last time I used linux, (which was, admittedly, over 7 years ago now) I really, really didn't like it. In fact, I had to find a gosh darn windows emulator to play half my games. It didn't last long for me and I never looked back into it. I have a computer with ubuntu on it at work as our primary looking stuff up computer... and that is linux based I believe... and my wife and I both hate that computer and that OS with the fire of a thousand suns. If there is a linux based system that has no problems running windows stuff and worked more or less like that then please, point me in that direction... if you're going to say 'Ubuntu' though... uff... no thanks.

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » October 17th, 2017, 5:05 pm

Alucard1191 wrote:
I know I am pretty behind on things, but the last time I used linux, (which was, admittedly, over 7 years ago now) I really, really didn't like it. In fact, I had to find a gosh darn windows emulator to play half my games. It didn't last long for me and I never looked back into it. I have a computer with ubuntu on it at work as our primary looking stuff up computer... and that is linux based I believe... and my wife and I both hate that computer and that OS with the fire of a thousand suns. If there is a linux based system that has no problems running windows stuff and worked more or less like that then please, point me in that direction... if you're going to say 'Ubuntu' though... uff... no thanks.

You won't get something perfectly runs Windows software, ever. It seems more and more games are coming to the Linux platform, but it's still trickling. The problem is the DirectX monopoly. Microsoft won't let anybody use DirectX without a license. And why would a company spend time porting a game to OpenGL or Vulkan for platforms that have less than 5% market use, like OSX, and Linux? Now, if they all used the same graphics API, they'd port it right over. Because that's FREE MONEY. But if they have to spend time porting it over, there's going to be an issue, that could potentially lose money.

But if you're looking for something that FUNCTIONS like Windows, the KDE desktop is quite nice, and you can implement that in Ubuntu. But if you're looking to actually run Windows software? Good luck. Unless the games you're playing are Pre-2010, you aren't going to have much luck.

GameOfThrones

Postby GameOfThrones » October 17th, 2017, 5:37 pm

Atarifever wrote:
GameOfThrones wrote:
24 of my friends have played MCC.
4 have played Destiny 2. Now that could because they played the first one. Which was disappointing.
It was too ambitious a release. It was put out to quickly but now it works perfectly. MCC that is.

Man, I never had 24 friends at one time in my life. How do you have time to do anything other than constantly upkeep relationships? I've got, like, 8 close friends now, and sometimes I just want to go live on a deserted island I get so tired of all the plans, outings, and routines that go into that. 24 favorable acquaintances and 10 or 15 close co-workers maybe, but 24 friends? Yikes. Good luck with all that.

AF
That is xbox live friends not actual friends. It is a bit like facebook. I have 200 friends. I know 30 of them personally and 4 are friends.
I just used that as an example to say everyone got the game.

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » October 17th, 2017, 7:07 pm

GameOfThrones wrote:AF
That is xbox live friends not actual friends. It is a bit like facebook. I have 200 friends. I know 30 of them personally and 4 are friends.
I just used that as an example to say everyone got the game.

Ah, that makes sense. My PS3 tells me when people are online and I know, literally, not one of them at all in real life. I add people from time to time on message boards, then forget I added them and then get messages that they are "in Party Chat." I'm like, "interesting. Who is that, and what is a party chat?"

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » October 17th, 2017, 9:38 pm

That's why I wish you could rename people in your friends list on game systems.

I would immediately know who Atarifever was in my list, but I'd forget within a month that someone named RandomUser1854654 corresponds to the guy that I know as Atarifever at a few forums.

ICQ 20 years ago let me do this (I wonder if that's still around?), so I don't understand why it's not a thing in 2017 on the Playstation Network and Xbox Live. Instead, I just end up deleting people since I don't have a clue who the heck they are.

GameOfThrones

Postby GameOfThrones » October 18th, 2017, 3:22 pm

Assuming you have an xbox party chat is where you talk to your pals whilst playing games over xbox live to double team on other people when you are playing halo.
on the 360 it was used more widely and loads of people used to be in parties chatting about loads of things. It only got annoying when pre teens jumped in because you did not use the privacy setting in the right way and they would speak in their squeeky voices.
Alternatively just play plants vs zombies online shooter series and there are loads of kids just chatting like they do. Sweet but annoying after a while.

I like the suggestion of being able to rename your friends so you actually knew who they were but I speak to them on live so much I call them by their gamer tags now anyway.

Return to “Video Games General”