Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Game Boy)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Voor

Re: Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Game Boy)

Postby Voor » November 7th, 2017, 3:23 pm

Anyone enjoy Linke Between Worlds? I need a new game for my 3DS...

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » November 8th, 2017, 2:05 am

Voor wrote:Anyone enjoy Linke Between Worlds? I need a new game for my 3DS...

If you liked Link to the Past, it will be easy to enjoy Link between Worlds. It offered plenty of nostalgic moments. It had enough original content to feel like a new game but much of Link to the Past was reused in some form or another. A definite top 5 Zelda title for my money and a timely release considering that the Zelda community had seen a decade of fairly mediocre titles prior to this one.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » November 8th, 2017, 3:54 am

Great game. I almost never 100% a game by doing every last thing I could possibly do, but I happily did for A Link Between Worlds and was sad to finish it after 30 hours.

A Link Between Worlds actually was the first Zelda I achieved 100% completion on despite having enjoyed the series for decades. I've been within a heart piece on several Zelda's, but never had the patience to go back and figure out what I missed. I've also since done it for Ocarina of Time 3D (A game I finished, but didn't 100% back on the N64), but this was my first.

That said, it's not perfect. More than once the dialogue annoyed me, something that happens too often in the 2000's with Nintendo's games and never occurred with classics like A Link to the Past (Not a fan of Nintendo's Treehouse team at all). And for the first time ever for a 1st party Nintendo game, the game actually locked up on me in the Desert Palace.

Even the much maligned item rental system ended up fine and didn't actually didn't change how I played in the slightest. Like the time system in Majora's Mask, it quickly becomes evident that it's essentially just a story element to explain why Link can access most items early on, rather than find them in the traditional manner as the player progresses.

Return to “Now Playing”