The problem with motion games

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

The problem with motion games

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 13th, 2018, 6:54 pm

I've been reviewing a few old Kinect and Move titles recently, and it's pretty easy to see why people soured on these.

First of all, the setup process is arduous. I mean, it takes long enough to start up a typical modern game; adding motion calibration is too much.

With the Kinect Disney Rush game, I had to select a profile even though I was already logged into my default one. Then I had to select an avatar even though I was continuing an old game. Not only were these steps unnecessary but they all had multiple "confirmation" screens, which are time consuming considering you need to hold up your hand while the circle fills in.

The Move isn't much better. I felt like it For Walking with the Dinosaurs there's about a 12-step calibration process. And when it's done it complains about no enough light and tries to get you to repeat the whole process. I felt like I was going in circles.

I guess people were willing to jump thru hoops when this stuff was fresh, but looking back it was kind of ridiculous.

CaptainCruch

Re: The problem with motion games

Postby CaptainCruch » May 16th, 2018, 7:38 am

Do you feel the same about Wii games?

Sut

Postby Sut » May 16th, 2018, 3:13 pm

CaptainCruch wrote:Do you feel the same about Wii games?

Was going to ask the same question, I only play Wii games that I can use a classic controller or GameCube controller with. Waggle controls kill the game instantly.

ESauce

Postby ESauce » May 16th, 2018, 3:15 pm

Wii games don’t have the problems he’s describing. On Wii you plug in the sensor bar one time and you’re never again asked to do any setup. The only exception might be the few motion plus games as I seem to recall that has some calibration.

digitalantiques

Postby digitalantiques » May 17th, 2018, 5:07 am

Hi Everyone. I had to jump in on this one. My young niece (10yo) and nephew (7yo) both have cerebral palsy which amongst other things affect movement and coordination.

I have tried Kinect, Move and Wii with them as they have trouble with most standard controllers. They both enjoy the Wii the most because of the waggle controls and the selection of games available to them on the Wii and they both enjoy the Wii Fit Board too.

Not knocking anybody elses opinion on motion controls, but for me they are a real blessing as nobody feels left out when we all get together.

scotland

Postby scotland » May 17th, 2018, 10:49 am

https://www.polygon.com/platform/amp/2018/5/17/17363528/xbox-adaptive-controller-disability-accessible

There is an article in polygon on Microsoft creating an 'adaptive controller'. Among its features are an array of input jacks to plug in other assistive input devices. Each jack is mapped to a different input on the controller, so someone could use a footpedal they already own for a feature. There are also USB ports to plug in a device in lieu of the analog thumb stick, such as a nunchuk controller.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 17th, 2018, 9:21 pm

digitalantiques - point well taken!

scotland - thanks for including that link. I have to give Microsoft credit for stepping up to help gamers with disabilities. I sometimes think what would happen if I got into an accident and had limited mobility. I could definitely imagine trying to rig something together for gaming. Glad Microsoft is helping to facilitate something like that.

Return to “Video Games General”