The 8-bit Home Computer Users Thread

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
scotland

Re: The 8-bit Home Computer Users Thread

Postby scotland » October 31st, 2017, 6:48 am

Sut wrote: You’re probably aware of the 3 main games in the series: Manic Miner and Jet Set Willy 1&2.

However thanks to the wonders of emulation I’ve been playing some ‘side story’ games in the series.

The Perils of Willy (Vic 20).
This game is exclusive to the Vic 20 (Scotland you might want to check it out ?). Apparently they couldn’t get the original to fit on the Vic 20 so they created this game. Not as devious as the main entries but still has that ‘one more go’ feel to the levels.

Thanks Sut - I will see if I can find a way to play this on my VIC-20.

I have to admit, I keep reading about the Manic Miner and Jet Set Willy as iconic Speccy games, and I have never played them. I will have to just embrace emulation to try, but good to know to expect very hard games.

scotland

Postby scotland » June 24th, 2018, 10:36 am

Having fun with a TRS-80 model 1 emulator. Computers like the VIC-20 rapidly became games machines, but other computers, like the Apple II had serious business uses. You'll often find VisiCalc and other business applications,here are some odd programs from those early days

trs8001.JPG
trs8001.JPG (26.1 KiB) Viewed 373 times

(an example of a too specialized business application)

trs8002.JPG
trs8002.JPG (47.57 KiB) Viewed 373 times

(Eliza is an AI 'chatterbot' program that sort of rephrases your inputs as a question)

trs8003.JPG
trs8003.JPG (58.41 KiB) Viewed 373 times

(Nothing wrong with a word processor, but 'Dict-a-Matic" would not have been a name I would have chosen)

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » June 24th, 2018, 9:19 pm

FinalLapTwinkie1 wrote:The Commodore 64 had some excellent RPG games. There were several Dungeons & Dragons games. You could build your characters up and transfer them to the next game. Thankfully Buck Rodgers Countdown to Doomsday was ported to the Sega Genesis with about ever thing intact gameplay wise. On the C64 I used to have incredible characters with huge stats from playing through a game then restarting and transferring them to the new game. I miss those floppy saves. Not the load times though. LOL.

The C64 had some great strategy games like Conflict in Vietnam, Nato Commander and the board game RISK is even entertaining in computer form. Several simulation air combat games like Ace, Ace of Aces - which is more playable then the Atari 7800 version, Hellcat Ace and Top Gun.  G.I. Joe is a vehicle and character battle game. Something both NES versions should have been.

Most of the arcade ports were faithful to the arcade versions. One of my favorites is BagitMan which is known by Bag Man in arcade form. Spy Hunter is a very well done version. For me it is second only to the Colecovision in home conversions.

Pirates on the C64 is one of the best versions sure it has been ported to the NES, Genesis, Xbox, PSP, Wii and PC but the Commodore 64 has one of the biggest maps. It allowed you to explore more areas and who would not want a crew about to munity from starving before getting to the Yucatan Peninsula. The prize was Gran Granada and overthrowing the governor. Believe me it was worth the long trek. The battles allowed for more strategy when attacking towns or fortresses.

Sports games on the C64 still hold up well today. It had one of the best bowling games in 10th Frame bowling. The Summer, Winter and World games series still make great party games for friends looking for something different.

The Commodore 64 has lots of games to explore and I am still learning of forgotten titles all time.

I was crushed by a wave of nostalgia reading your post! I was a huge C-64 fan back in the day. You listed some great games. One simulation game worthing checking out is Gunship (made by Microprose). I loved those strategy games you mentioned, some others include Micro League Baseball and Crusade in Europe. The C-64 had it all.

scotland

Postby scotland » June 28th, 2018, 11:28 am

Here's an interesting snippet from a video game manual about finding a bug

bug1.JPG
bug1.JPG (35.39 KiB) Viewed 316 times

(Now keep in mind programs were still only a few kilobytes in size)

bug2.JPG
bug2.JPG (28.1 KiB) Viewed 316 times

I like that you can ask for an extra feature, at the cost of $25 an hour.

Return to “Classic Gaming”